Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

Who doesn't have a backsplash?

jgopp
9 years ago

I'm looking at my perimeter counters and originally thought I would do a 3-4 inch soapstone backsplash to match my counters. But the more I'm looking at it, and considering the style of my kitchen, I'm not sure it's worth it...

I don't have any left over soapstone from the slab that was used for the counters so I'd be buying just bits and pieces from elsewhere. I am a little worried it might look weird if it's too different. I also think due to the simplicity of my cottage kitchen it might not be needed especially once I get all of my items back onto my counters.

Thoughts?

Comments (22)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I think it looks lovely the way it is. If you are going to do a bs a 3 to 4 inch bs won't work as it would be nearly impossible to find soapstone that would match. I considered not using a bs in my kitchen but decided on a simple tumbled marble. I really like it but I would have been fine without it also.

• bpath
    9 years ago

We are the third owners of our house, and it's a nice colonial/farmhouse style house in an upscale neighborhood, built in the early 60s, and there has never been more than a 4" backsplash, and I'd be happy with a 1". We did remove the vinyl wallpaper from the 80s and painted. I have no desire for a backsplash here, although behind the sink the 4"er meets the window sill apron, and I do like that. Easy to clean.

Yours looks lovely as is, too. For a cottage look I think it's entirely appropriate.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I think it looks wonderful the way it is. I am personally not a fan of short 2-4" back splashes anyways but in this case, since it wouldn't be from the same slab, I would be afraid that it would detract from your gorgeous counters.

I have no backsplash in my kitchen, just granite butting up against the painted walls. Initially I was going to get a tile back splash but I can't find one I like that looks good with my busy granite and I actually enjoy having the splash of color there right now (my walls are green)
    I vote no back splash.

• wags848
    9 years ago

I don't have a backsplash; not sure I'll install one when we remodel...perhaps a few decorative tiles behind the stove.

I love your soapstone and think is looks beautiful on its own!

• iashutterbug
    9 years ago

I feel your pain! One step at a time here - the granite arrives in a week. We'll wait and see how busy it looks in the kitchen - I would also be OK with no BS except behind the stove. I'm thinking of keeping it simple and using stainless steel up to the exhaust fan .I had originally thought I'd use talavera, love the colors, but I'm not so sure it will go well with the granite. I love your soapstone. You could put anything with it! My opinion - don't rush it, try living with it for a bit.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

no backsplash for me. Not a 4 inch or anything but paint.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Your latest project is looking fantastic. I love your corner stove arrangement with the stone backsplash behind it going up to the ceiling. I ran tile to the ceiling too behind my cooktop. I did not put any backsplash anywhere else. It has been almost 3 years now and there have been no issues with not having a backsplash on my counters. I doubt that you will have any problems either.
    It is a very nice clean, uncluttered look without the backsplash. Your soapstone counters are gorgeous.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

No backsplash, just paint. I thought that I would put in some kind of tile, but I like the paint color and there really isn't that much open wall surface so I think that I will leave it plain.

Your soapstone is lovely!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like I am going to just stick it out the way it is right now. Thanks for the input from everyone :)

• suska6184
    9 years ago

Since you have none left, a mismatch is a legitimate concern. It looks fine without one, but having one is more than aesthetic. I often have crowded counters during holiday gatherings or parties, and with children and visitors helping, I know that having one has saved my paint from dings and scratches on multiple occasions.

• ktj459
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is really gorgeous without one, and I think anything you put there might just detract from that beautiful soapstone. What variety is it?

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ktj459: It is "mineral black" as far as I know.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Be sure to caulk the edges between the wall and counter so no moisture drops down behind the cabinets.
    Gorgeous kitchen and soapstone!

• eam44
    9 years ago

Or you could use soapstone tile as a backsplash, as low or high as you want to go... The image below is from dorado soapstone. You have options ranging from subways to squares to mosaics.

I always wonder what you do when you have a huge spill and no bs. The first time you might get away with it, but over time you're looking at replacing drywall and possibly the cabinets below. There are practical reasons to have a bs as well as aesthetic ones, and even "no bs" proponents must admit, scrubbable paint (whatever that is) does not make drywall water or mold resistant.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I'm doing soapstone (eventually) and have no plans to put in a back splash. Although there are many gorgeous focal point back splashes, I think most of them belong in bathrooms.

Someone here did some geometric pattern in a brown in cream, though, that (ooooohhhh) is absolutely beautiful.

I know there is a sealer for drywall and with a good, clear, well done caulk, it's pretty durable. My mom had it for 24 years in her home that they built in 1962 .. Just gotta figure out what that was!

• Buehl
    9 years ago

No backsplash - not even a short 4" backsplash. Someday I plan to put in a tiled/stone backsplash (I lust after Fire & Ice) - but it's way down on the priorities. I think my kitchen looks fine for now... I definitely prefer what I have to a short backsplash - but YMMV!

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

Buehl, when someone posted a link to "encaustic tile" search results for images.google.com

I saw a tile that made me think of your kitchen
    Its pattern = 2 shades close of your cabinet stain with a black accent

I didn't think you'd go for it because it was really busy as all those are, but I'd love to see it in your kitchen :-).

To jgopp / the OP:

My opinion =

- Kitchens look half naked without a backsplash

- With one, even a simple one, they look so much more interesting

- I really dislike 4" high backsplashes.

One exception I saw on Houzz -
    A kitchen with no upper cabinets, a very quiet granite or maybe quartz, simple cabinets, and one layer of one of a beautiful encaustic tiles along the granite with a pattern that was of course loud but that flowed with everything else in the room.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

While I think the kitchens posted with no splash look good it would not be practical in my house. I like to push the toaster, coffee maker, etc. back against the wall. Not hard but with no splash I would have marks on the wall over time.

In our old kitchen we had no splash on a side wall. DH had to constantly touch up the wall. In the new kitchen he insisted on some sort of splash on the side wall. We compromised on two rows of subway tile. Now I don't worry about dents in the wall.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm good points all around.

CEFreeman: you gotta tell me what that product is!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I have a 4" backsplash on my countertops that are coming out (see: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0519565610882.html?2) and I hate 'em. I do want something on the wall behind the countertop; I just don't know what. All I know is that it has to be easy to clean and simple.

P.S., jgopp, I love the simplicity of your kitchen. If you decide to add a backsplash, I'd keep it flat to the wall and go up to the upper cabinets.

• vwhippiechick
    9 years ago

We remodeled our kitchen in '08. Soapstone counters no backsplash. Essentially because I couldn't make a decision about it. I recently posted a question about doing a backsplash now and many on this forum thought it was fine without. As far as maintenance it has not been a problem at all. Good luck. Your soapstone is beautiful. You will not regret that choice. Love, love, love mine.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Everyone makes their choices. But a range below painted drywall isn't the safest set up because there isn't fireproof material there.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional