Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suel41452

Have caesarstone & Wilsonart questions

suel41452
9 years ago

I'm thinking of getting Caesarstone kitchen countertop. Checking out installers and one told me not to get 2cm thick it will chip/break more easily. He said you really need to get 3 cm thick Caesarstone. Anyone have opinions about that?
Also, I need to know if a bullnose edge is less likely to chip/crack than other edge types like ogee and squared?
I've read a lot of people have gotten chips on their Caesarstone, which scares me!!
I'm also debating getting a Wilsonart countertop but this same installer said they still have a noticeable brown edge, which I don't like. I thought Wilsonart had an edge like Formica's "Ideal edge" which is supposed to be invisible. Well, this same person told me Ideal edge is a crock and they don't even sell Formica anymore!!
I'd like this countertop to last a LONG time, so any advice will be appreciated!

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

You're talking completely opposite ends of the price spectrum here. $100 a square vs. $28. You need to do more reading on their basic natures to narrow down which suits your needs and pocketbook. Each is the right choice for someone.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I can't answer either question from personal knowledge, but the wilsonart website shows edge options with no brown joint. Time to find a different countertop supplier I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilson art edges

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

suel41452:

The installer you are speaking to is full of it. Chipping can be influenced by edge profile, a bullnose is less likely to chip than square, but 2cm is no more or less likely to chip than 3cm.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

just an fyi, someone on this site posted the downfall of a bullnose is that water runs over the edge onto the cabs more easily than other edges. we just did an eased edge because i liked the simplicity of it. i have read that people get chips around the sink edge but the perimeter edge is less common. plus with a stone or estone the chip can be polished to blend whereas a crack or chip in laminate is not repairable
    btw i priced the hd laminate that mocks granite and it was about 2k where my granite ended up being 3800. it just didn't seem like enough of a savings for a counter that may look terrible in 5-10 years

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Maybe he was talking about a wilsonart laminate counter that was to be self edged...you would have a brown line if that was the case

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I have Wilsonart 'Olivine' and think it's beautiful. It has a black edge.
    The colors of the Wilsonart are such that I never noticed and had to go look, just to post this response.

Durability: Citristrip and Mineral Spirits didn't remove the finish when I didn't notice until the next morning that I'd set containers down that made rings. Just wiped it off.
    Forest for the trees, girl.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I've had a Caesarstone counter for 2.5 years. It's 2 cm which is typical in my area (northern California). It's underlaid by 5/8" plywood and it has a built-up (laminated) eased edge. I'm not rough on my counter, but I'm over being paranoid about it. I sometimes stand on it to clean my upper cabinets.

There isn't a single chip, ding or scratch anywhere, on edges, around the sink...anywhere. I have a single seam, right through the sink totaling a few inches. I don't even see it, and when I do, I go, "good seam."

My experience with Caesarstone is it's a quality product. All you have to do is pick the right pattern/color and a good fabricator.

• suel41452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you all so much for all these great responses. I inherited money from my dad & can afford a Caesarstone counter, but do I REALLY want to spend that much money on a countertop? Probably not! Coming down to earth! I'd rather go on a cruise or something.
    Thanks for warning me about water running off a bullnose easily onto cabs!! Yikes, not good!
    I guess I've been incredibly fortunate, but all the laminate counters in my dad's house (65 yrs. old) and my house (42 yrs) are practically in perfect condition, and they were abused badly!!!
    I like the Ora 1/8" full-wrap edge I saw online today - by VT who make post formed laminate counters- it's like a squared slab.
    Trebuchet - I have met so many installers who are full of it - makes me wonder if there are any honest people left!! You really can't do too much homework on this stuff.
    I could write a book about all the fiascos & shoddy merchandise I've received!! At this point, I'm surprised to get materials that aren't flawed in some form or fashion!!
    I bought a quartz (engineered stone) double sink countertop with undermount bowls from HD and it arrived with large chips, which we didn't find until we hauled it upstairs & it weighed a zillion pounds. They sent a replacement weeks later which was installed. After installation, discovered a flaw in a sink bowl @size of a quarter. If the Caesarstone would have these issues, I would freak out after spending thousands!!!!