Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommytofive

Planning a kitchen help

mommytofive
9 years ago

We purchased my husband's grandmother's very old victorian fixer upper home 3 years ago. We have a gutted kitchen and dining room sitting in need of kitchen planning help. It is tricky because the house has very tall, low windows that would prevent counters going across. We considered shortening the windows but do not want to do it. I used an iPad app to sketch out the space. My current thought is to center an oven/stove with cabinets on both sides in between the two windows at the top left of the plan. Then, to have a very large island in middle of kitchen with sink and dishwasher plus seating on opposite side for kiddos. I have six of them. I was thinking a separate fridge and separate freezer could go to the far left and far right of the kitchen in between the window and wall. The far left of the kitchen an armoire for pantry items. Then the space next to exposed chimney possibly another small stretch of cabinets. The exterior door to the deck can be moved. We would like to expose the lower portion of the staircases to open the house up a bit. Everything has such a dark, closed in feeling right now. Our ceilings are very high and windows are very high. I am the only cook at the moment. Kids are 11 and under. The dining room space I just want to be able to fit a farmhouse kitchen table. I don't really need a super elaborate kitchen just functional. Prep sink really isn't necessary. Thanks for any suggestions. Please let me know if you need additional info. I hope the sketch is large enough for you to preview. I wasn't sure how to do it. t can even photograph the gutted space if that would help. And I am very open to a totally new idea for the space.

This post was edited by mommyto6 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 20:28

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath