Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningglovequilter

Question for those of you who have French Door fridges

MiMi
10 years ago

I also posted this on the appliance forum but wanted to ask here also....

I have been reading reviews on French Door refrigerators and have found a common complaint to be... that since the ice maker is in the refrigerator part, that it does not keep the ice frozen and it melts and water drips into the drawers on the door below the icemaker or else the ice melts together in a clump and has to be broken up. Has anyone here with a French door refrigerator experiences this?... Thank's in advance

Comments (20)

• bostonpam
    10 years ago

I have a Samsung RFG297 for the past 4 years and never had that problem.

• roarah
    10 years ago

I have an internal water dispenser and icemaker is in the freezer in my FD fridge. I do have to open one door for water so not that energy efficient but I do not like the look or skeeve factor of external dispensers. They collect mold at room temp and my unit is so easy to keep clean. I have had no issues with clumpin ice at all and I so perfer this style to on the door types.

• ginagordon_gw
    10 years ago

We also have a samsung, which we love, and have not had that issue with the ice maker.

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago

I have had the CD Electrolux wave touch with ice and water in the door since January or so and have not had that problem at all.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I've had a Kenmore Elite made by LG for 15 mos...the ice maker is on the left door..not on a fridge shelf....no problems so far.

• Buehl
    10 years ago

We have a GE Profile with water in the door and the icemaker in the freezer - it takes up no room in the refrigerated portion of the refrigerator. We have no ice dispenser in the door. [We've had the refrigerator since early 2008 - over 5 years.]

Unless the refrigerator is a large capacity (>25cu ft overall), I would not recommend one with the icemaker in the refrigerator b/c of the space lost either in the refrigerator itself or the door. However, to get an ice dispenser in the door with a bottom freezer, then you will have to settle for the icemaker in the refrigerator (so the dispenser will work with gravity).

[Edited to correct typos.]

This post was edited by buehl on Wed, May 29, 13 at 22:58

• nmq1210
    10 years ago

I have a Samsung for the past 5 years and never had that problem.
    We also have a samsung, which we love, and have not had that issue with the ice maker.

Here is a link that might be useful: tour di phu quoc

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

Kenmore elite, icemaker is in the freezer and we love it. Use ice daily.

• willtv
    10 years ago

We've had a Samsung RGF237 CD/FD for the past 2 1/2 years.
    No clumping ice or drip problems.

This post was edited by willtv on Thu, May 30, 13 at 16:10

• momand3boys
    10 years ago

joaniepoanie, we also have the Kenmore Elite. I never realized it was made by LG! We've had it for about 2 years now, I think. I love that the slim ice maker is in the door and it doesn't take up space on a shelf. Never had trouble with it dripping. I don't miss having only slim shelves on that side of the door. Just enough for some condiments and salad dressings.

• suburbanrancher
    10 years ago

CD KitchenAid French Door, water in the fridge (not the door) and ice in the freezer bottom. No problems.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

Like roarah I have an internal water dispenser in the fridge and the ice maker is in the freezer - I also didn't want a door water dispenser. (We actually don't use the water dispenser because we have a separate water cooler hidden in a tall cabinet.) So I've never had the problem you have read about.

One benefit of not having the door dispenser is that you have more room in the fridge.

• sas95
    10 years ago

Same with us. No door dispenser. Internal water dispenser in the fridge and ice maker in the freezer. No problems.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

5.5 year old GE Profile FD with water and ice through dispenser in door. No leaks at all.

• MiMi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the replies. I suspect some complaints about the leakage could be operator error, such as not getting a piece of ice stuck in the dispenser out. This happens occasionally no matter what kind of refrigerator you have.

I have researched and studied different models for about 3 fulls days and appreciate all the recommendations.

My husband decided to see if he could fix ours... I just knew for sure I would need a new one when I was observing this process...lol He pretty much gutted it, a lot has to be removed to access wiring connections, circuit boards etc.... there were so many parts strung out in my kitchen, on the floor and counter tops to the point there was not even enough counter space to put a sandwich together..... Process of elimination he said. he has all the meters to test wiring and circuit boards. Low and behold he found the problem!...and fixed it AND was successful at re-assembling everything. Were there any parts leftover?... one tiny little bitty screw off the back panel and the only reason it was leftover is because our little Chihuahua carried it to her bed.

To tell you the truth I am so happy he was able to fix it. It is a GE Profile and this is the first problem we've had with it in 9 years. The freezer side has all pull out wire baskets which I love and I am happy with the configuration of the refrigerator side.

• Eva J
    4 years ago

Hello Mimi, I realize this is an old thread however, I am having the same issues with my KitchenAid refrigerator and I’m wondering what your husband found the problem to be? I’ve had appliance repair company out here 6 times in the last 3 months & it’s still not fixed.? I’d appreciate any info you can give me. thanks!

• HU-859499162
    3 years ago

thread. fix

• Carey Phelps
    3 years ago

Eva J - did you ever get this resolved? We are having the same problem with our Kitchenaid. New in April. Repair/warranty company has come up 4 times. The last guy just refused to do anything and said that we shouldn't have bought a french door fridge. So, now we have an almost brand new fridge whose icemaker we can't use because it is always one big block of ice. Ugh.

• quadesl
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We have a 15 year old Maytag FD. We had the ice maker removed when it was delivered and a shelf was put it it’s place to hold ice trays. We did not hook it up to water as we have a Aquaversa faucet and under sink water filter. We seldom use ice and my feeling was ice makers cause more problems than they’re worth.

I would look at a FD model with the ice maker in the freezer. It gives you more storage in the fridge section and to me it makes more sense for the ice to be made in the freezer.