Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for those of you who have French Door fridges

Posted by dbfirewife (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 20:00

I also posted this on the appliance forum but wanted to ask here also....

I have been reading reviews on French Door refrigerators and have found a common complaint to be... that since the ice maker is in the refrigerator part, that it does not keep the ice frozen and it melts and water drips into the drawers on the door below the icemaker or else the ice melts together in a clump and has to be broken up. Has anyone here with a French door refrigerator experiences this?... Thank's in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for those of you who have French Door fridges

I have a Samsung RFG297 for the past 4 years and never had that problem.

o

I have an internal water dispenser and icemaker is in the freezer in my FD fridge. I do have to open one door for water so not that energy efficient but I do not like the look or skeeve factor of external dispensers. They collect mold at room temp and my unit is so easy to keep clean. I have had no issues with clumpin ice at all and I so perfer this style to on the door types.

o

We also have a samsung, which we love, and have not had that issue with the ice maker.

o

I have had the CD Electrolux wave touch with ice and water in the door since January or so and have not had that problem at all.

o

My fd Maytag has the ice in the freezer compartment and ice water in the fridge. I love it and love the big drawer inside the fridge compartment that accomodates even rather large pizza boxes.

o

I've had a Kenmore Elite made by LG for 15 mos...the ice maker is on the left door..not on a fridge shelf....no problems so far.

o

• Posted by buehl 7a, AHS 5/6 (MD) (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 22:55

We have a GE Profile with water in the door and the icemaker in the freezer - it takes up no room in the refrigerated portion of the refrigerator. We have no ice dispenser in the door. [We've had the refrigerator since early 2008 - over 5 years.]

Unless the refrigerator is a large capacity (>25cu ft overall), I would not recommend one with the icemaker in the refrigerator b/c of the space lost either in the refrigerator itself or the door. However, to get an ice dispenser in the door with a bottom freezer, then you will have to settle for the icemaker in the refrigerator (so the dispenser will work with gravity).

[Edited to correct typos.]

This post was edited by buehl on Wed, May 29, 13 at 22:58

o

I have a Samsung for the past 5 years and never had that problem.
We also have a samsung, which we love, and have not had that issue with the ice maker.

Here is a link that might be useful: tour di phu quoc

o

Kenmore elite, icemaker is in the freezer and we love it. Use ice daily.

o

We've had a Samsung RGF237 CD/FD for the past 2 1/2 years.
No clumping ice or drip problems.

This post was edited by willtv on Thu, May 30, 13 at 16:10

o

joaniepoanie, we also have the Kenmore Elite. I never realized it was made by LG! We've had it for about 2 years now, I think. I love that the slim ice maker is in the door and it doesn't take up space on a shelf. Never had trouble with it dripping. I don't miss having only slim shelves on that side of the door. Just enough for some condiments and salad dressings.

o

CD KitchenAid French Door, water in the fridge (not the door) and ice in the freezer bottom. No problems.

o

Like roarah I have an internal water dispenser in the fridge and the ice maker is in the freezer - I also didn't want a door water dispenser. (We actually don't use the water dispenser because we have a separate water cooler hidden in a tall cabinet.) So I've never had the problem you have read about.

One benefit of not having the door dispenser is that you have more room in the fridge.

o

Same with us. No door dispenser. Internal water dispenser in the fridge and ice maker in the freezer. No problems.

o

5.5 year old GE Profile FD with water and ice through dispenser in door. No leaks at all.

o

Thank you for all the replies. I suspect some complaints about the leakage could be operator error, such as not getting a piece of ice stuck in the dispenser out. This happens occasionally no matter what kind of refrigerator you have.

I have researched and studied different models for about 3 fulls days and appreciate all the recommendations.

My husband decided to see if he could fix ours... I just knew for sure I would need a new one when I was observing this process...lol He pretty much gutted it, a lot has to be removed to access wiring connections, circuit boards etc.... there were so many parts strung out in my kitchen, on the floor and counter tops to the point there was not even enough counter space to put a sandwich together..... Process of elimination he said. he has all the meters to test wiring and circuit boards. Low and behold he found the problem!...and fixed it AND was successful at re-assembling everything. Were there any parts leftover?... one tiny little bitty screw off the back panel and the only reason it was leftover is because our little Chihuahua carried it to her bed.

To tell you the truth I am so happy he was able to fix it. It is a GE Profile and this is the first problem we've had with it in 9 years. The freezer side has all pull out wire baskets which I love and I am happy with the configuration of the refrigerator side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here