Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mihelene

Addition/renovation floorplan help

mihelene
10 years ago

Hi everyone, we finished one kitchen/ home renovation with the help of these forums and we are at it again. This is a portion of the addition to a home drawn up by our architect. I like the balance of the house but not so happy about the kitchen layout. As you are looking at the floor plan dining is below kitchen and open plan family room is above. I think I like the island oriented towards the family room rather than the eat-in area and I just think the layout lacks symmetry and interest. Any suggestions/ comments from everyone here?
Thanks for your help!

Comments (9)

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

One quick observation is I"d rather my prep sink be in the island oriented toward the stove as you have it and the cleanup sink and DW be on the other run. Is there additional pantry storage?

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As the plan stands now there is no additional pantry. The architect is re-doing kitchen area to add in butler's pantry/ more storage. I will be interested to see what he comes up with. I do like the idea of moving the clean up area to the other wall. Definitely feel the need for more pantry storage than what is presently there. Thanks for your comments.

• Buehl
    10 years ago

Sorry, I don't like this at all!

The DW opens into the range/cooktop - very dangerous!

All three primary work zones are crammed into that relatively small space

Is there really enough room for the table + sitting area?

Where do the doors lead on the "bottom" wall? B/w the pantry & ovens and on the other end of the run that holds the bar sink and ovens? Can any of those doors/doorways be moved?

• Buehl
    10 years ago

How about something like this? All are estimates since I wasn't certain of all the measurements.

Counters on the window/sink wall are 28.5" deep to accommodate the 15" deep uppers - particularly for the Dish Hutch. You could reduce them by 3" to the standard 25.5", if you need the inches for the table & sitting areas.

The main potential issue I see is that you may not have room for the sitting area now. You should have at least 48" (preferably 54") b/w the island and the table...and I don't know if you have that much room. You might though - it depends on the table and how much sitting room you need/want.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

3 eating venues with dining room/small round table and island....?? as well, family room adjacent so what is the utility of 2 chairs here? at least, take some space and make a walkin pantry and/or storage closet which .could also have utilitarian functions with outlets for bread machine/things you desire out of sight/etc.I think I would take out the 2 small chairs, move table into that space ,move island over and enlarge it,perhaps square, with more seating[you'll use it].....on either the dining room wall or right of window, toward the end of that wall try for a bigger pantry/storage area-more can be done at the end of the window wall-[walk-in],because of all the unused floorspace.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great feedback and no apologies necessary for the criticism, that's what I am looking for.
    Buehl- thanks for redoing the plan. The openings/walls can be moved, the solid black walls are new, the open white walls are existing. The two openings on the bottom wall go to the front room which we would use as a dining room as we do a lot of entertaining (dinner parties, etc). That space was designed to be flexible (either dining or living) that's why there is room for another large table in the kitchen should future owners want to use front room as living space. We would probably put a longer rectangular table in that space and remove the 2 small chairs and table as per herbflavor's comment. I think the island can be moved over to the breakfast table area giving us more room for storage where the current too small pantry is. I had also asked the architect for a door out to the side yard for BBQ as in the present configuration you have to walk through family room and out back to cook-out.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So here's the entire ground floor plan, my other thought is do I need 3 points of entry into the kitchen/FR area? Couldn't I close off the center opening (the one to the right of the range in Buehl's plan) and gain even more wall space for cabs/storage? I'm sure the architect is gonna love me as I improve his design ;). He definitely has the right ideas, just needing some fine tuning, especially in the kitchen.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

If the DW is being loaded or unloaded, you can't access the cooktop. I assume it has no oven, which would lead to a door collision and blocking DW when you are using oven.

If the room at the bottom is a flex entertain/LR area, what is the path to get a cold drink? Right through the work zone? People will follow straight lines to their goal, even if it means running over the cook.

The suggested alteration is better: I can get a cold beer without intruding into the kitchen. The bulk of the DW use will come from the counter seating and the eating area ... and that has a clear line to load it.

Draw work paths and see where your traffic lines screw up:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/210754457533884778/

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm back with an updated floor plan which I like better. Thank you Buehl and everyone else for your suggestions. We are using 48" stove rather than cooktop/wall ovens. Added more storage in the form of a butler's pantry which I really wanted. Got rid of the seating in the breakfast area. Moved the clean up zone to the window. Moved the fridge; Lazygardens, you don't have to run over the cook to get a beer! Still some questions to fine tune:
    * Where does microwave go? Just use it to warm up leftovers/ defrost rather than cook, so I guess it should go near to the fridge?
    * Should prep sink be where it is or to the lower right of the island to offer some separation from clean up area or does that not matter?
    * Island is 8x4.5- too big/ too small or just right?
    * there is 46" between island edge & clean-up zone counter, is that sufficient?
    Any other comments or changes you might suggest?
    Thanks again for all your help,
    Helene

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville