Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New cold tap runs hot--plumbing advice?

Posted by tress21 (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 19:56

x-posting with plumbing forum, still need help please!

Ever since our kitchen renovation, the cold tap on our two kitchen sinks both pour out hot water for the first 8-9 minutes. We have to waste a ton of hot water before the water finally becomes cold. Sounds silly, but it's so hot that you can't even wash your hands without running the water first. Then, if we wait twenty minutes or so, the cold tap again becomes hot and I have to run it another few minutes to get cold. If you run the cold tap continuously, the cold stream doesn't stay cold, either--it will change to tepid, then warm, the cold again after a few minutes. The hot water tap works fine--cold for a few seconds, then hot, as expected. This happens only in the kitchen. The bathrooms are fine--and they are approximately the same distance from the water heater as the kitchen.

We had a recirculator at our hot water heater, which I turned off and unplugged, thinking that was the problem. I really thought it must be related to the recirculator because the problem always seems worse at certain predictable times (afternoon). But there was no change. We also adjusted the hot/cold balance under the sink. But the problem continues. Our gas bill is quite high and I'm sure all this wasted hot water is one reason. I'm worried that our sinks might not have been plumbed correctly during the renovation.

Had our GC back out to look, but he'd never seen anything like this before. He called the plumber, who's coming out next week--but he didn't have any ideas either, and the walls are closed up already.

Any thoughts what could be causing the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New cold tap runs hot--plumbing advice?

Is the hot water supply pipe touching the cold water supply pipe somewhere? Maybe the hot water is warming up the cold water where they touch, so you get hot water for a while at first. Something to check.

o

There probably is a bad mix valve in one of the fixtures. That is where I would start.

o

problem solved and described in the plumbing forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: hot water was recirculating using the cold as a return

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here