Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_tlc_gw

Calling those of you who have plugmolds

mrs_tlc
15 years ago

I first saw these in Nuccia's finished pics and was thrilled because we were having a tough time deciding what to do with the backsplash outlets. DH is getting ready to take out the old outlets and I suddenly thought I should ask you all..... how do you like using the plugmolds????? Are they awkward to plug things into?? An interior designer friend of mine had never seen them before and said she thought it would look weird to have the plugs going up to the plugmolds.

Comments (15)

• paco6945
    15 years ago

We have plubmold and love it. They are easy to use and I like the fact that the cord is off the counter. You can see how we have a toaster plugged in here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/gal0520074626512.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Paco's Kitchen

• theresab1
    15 years ago

we have them, I really like it- I didn't want outlets in the wall competing with the look of our backsplash. The only appliances I keep on the counter are the coffee maker and toaster, and I plug them in when we use them- so we don't have the look of a plug going up the wall.

• pecanpie
    15 years ago

Our GC was concerned that plugging in appliances would be awkward. It's not. He said that people don't like the looks of cords hanging down. People care about that? Whatever.

We got plugmold on the island and in a built-in hutch of sorts, where we wanted outlet access but were installing several precious rustic hand-made tiles and didn't want to spoil the backsplash. Now I wish I'd gotten it all around the kitchen!

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

We love our plugmold and are very glad we had it installed. It gives us outlet access wherever we need it, & without messing up our backsplash. The only problem we have encountered is that we can't plug in anything that requires a transformer plug, because it's too wide. However, there are converter cords for that.

• alku05
    15 years ago

Love it! We mounted ours on an angled wood strip so It's really easy to use. We don't keep any appliances on our counters, so dangling cords are a non-issue for us. However, if I was planning on a coffeemaker etc, I would strategically plan a traditional outlet behind it simply because I could!

• paul_ma
    15 years ago

I split the difference. My counter is an L. I put traditional outlets on the backsplash at the two ends, where things are likely to be permanently plugged in. And I ran plugmold all around under the uppers, both to satisfy code and to have an outlet convenient for plugging in where ever it is needed.

I don't expect things to be permanently plugged in to the plugmold, so the dangling cord isn't an issue.

• holligator
    15 years ago

I did as alku05 and paul_ma mentioned and combined them. I decided where the coffee maker and toaster would sit, since those are the only two things out all the time, and I had two regular outlets installed lower on the wall, so they'd be behind these appliances. Then, I had a combination of plugmold strips and low-profile outlets installed up under the cabinets for the rest of the kitchen. It seems to work great so far. No visible outlets and no visible cords! :)

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I really like it. I don't keep a bunch of appliances on the counter plugged in - pretty much just my coffee maker and that is tall enough that it pretty much hides the cord. Plus it's in kind of a niche that you don't really see unless you're standing there to use the coffee maker.

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

Ditto alku05, paul_ma, and holligator--I combined both traditional and angled plugmold. Love it!!

• lily1342
    15 years ago

I love my plugmold too and am glad I got it. My kitchen is an L with a 3rd wall and I have plugmold on both sides of the L, then regular outlets on the 3rd wall. Mine isn't installed at an angle, which would be more convenient, but I still don't find it hard at all to plug something in. I don't keep anything on the counters permanently plugged in either but I have that 3rd wall for that if I wanted to.

• nuccia
    15 years ago

Well you already saw my plugmold and I do love it.

I do not have gizmonike's problems with the transformers because our plugmolds are mounted at a 45 degree angle which provides for easier access as well as for wider plugs.

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks so much for all of your responses. I already knew I liked the look/idea of the plugmold but wasn't sure about the functional aspect. I can see that it is just fine as you all seem to love them. We keep a coffee maker; toaster oven and blender on the counters but the coffee maker is the only thing that I leave plugged in and it is tall and under a corner cabinet so I don't think the plug will be seen at all.

As far as satisfying code, we are going to put in a GFI breaker in the breaker box so that should be fine. DH said he is also going to leave the old wiring and cap it off in case someone wants to go back to using outlets at some point. At the advice of a friend he had already run extra wiring along with the under cabinet lighting in case he needed it for something else down the road so that is already taken care of. He also decided to wire up a plugmold for us to use for a few days before he takes out the outlets.

• neesie
    15 years ago

My first thought also was how awkward it would look to see the plug going straight up until someone mentioned that they didn't leave their appliances plugged in! Light bulb moment! Someone also enlightened me on how handy it was to be able to choose where they wanted to plug in since so many appliances come with the seriously short cords. Now I totally get it!

Funny thing is, when I watch kitchen makeover shows I never see this feature. I will be putting the plug mold on my wish list and taking the advice of keeping one or two outlets, at least in my appliance garage for versatility.

• mysterymachine
    15 years ago

I love the plugmold. I leave a hot water pot plugged in and it doesn't look bad at all. Overall the look of the cord is less obtrusive than the plates and outlets being in the backsplash. :)

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

bump