Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonic16

Overwhelmed - ideas thoughts please

tonic16
10 years ago

I am finally pursuing an 'update' to our 1980's kitchen, and am eagerly seeking the ideas of others. I acknowledge some 'strong feelings' about oak cabinets (see photo), but we have decided to keep it - we have oak throughout the entire house, and it is a part of the character of the home. The items we are considering are:
replacing current built in table and extending the cabinets and perhaps a counter height table to replace current.
replace counter tops - granite, or engineered stone? I'm thinking darker color?
New appliances. Recently had to replace fridge, and went stainless. Swap range for gas cooktop and double wall ovens (electric) or oven/microwave combination (place on wall where fridge is located - there is enough space)
Floors will be replaced with wood - distressed? Color? Brand?
Sink?
Will need to add a range hood; no idea what to consider - other than knowing it will be a wall mount - assuming it will go on wall where current range is.
Backsplash?

I did read the info pages at the start of this process - tried to revisit, but now receive an error message regarding the link. I also am uncertain of how to post more than one photo. Our kitchen is an active place, function and 'family' are the words that come to mind when I think about the project. I welcome the ideas of others as I begin what seems like an overwhelming process. Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Paint the cabinets & get new hardware. Have you been looking at kitchens to get inspiration? Start there.

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

Don't use the sticky note posted by Tamara, those links are dead. Use the "new to kitchen....." posted by buehl that floats around.

• angie_diy
    10 years ago

Here, I have linked the relevant "New to Kitchens" thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Use this

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of the one we just tore out. It's similar to yours, but has windows. At least you can see what it would look like with the table replaced.

We are new to the house, and since I'm not into restoring things, we have new cabinets, appliances and counters on the way. The oak is now in the garage on the walls for storage.

All the rest of the oak in the house will be painted white except for the staircase which will be cherry.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Can you do anything with the soffits above the cabinets? Maybe remove? If not adding deep crown and painting a lighter color? Are you planning on adding lighting? The space seems a bit dark although it could be the photo. I would "build in" the fridge for sure to make it seem less bulky.
    The arches on the cabinets are always what seems a bit dated to me and maybe picking out a couple of upper cabinets to put glass doors on would help.
    Do you have another view of the kitchen to post?

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

what is your budget approx? soffit removal on the fridge wall at least[,since there are some built ins you will be adding],would be high on my list. Getting a built in look might be accomplished with recessing back into studspace/take out soffit/allow for panels and vertical stacks in the budget.....I would get a price for that,and floor and electrical upgrade and then see where I was at for the L section....this is a kitchen i wouldn't feel bad about doing in stages/as it is functioning okay....get together a "complete" gameplan with pricing....and see if you can accomplish it over time.and I would add ALL soffit removal and new wall cabs.....but if the new wall cabs take you over the top/edit some by fewer wall cabs/some wall shelves instead. Honestly, I'd want all new cabs.

• tonic16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses - and the link; very helpful. I have been visiting the site for some time, and have seen some gorgeous kitchens! Also think it's wonderful how ideas, suggestions, experiences and help are shared!
    The current though is to replace the cabinetry on the fridge wall - this is where we are thinking of adding the double ovens.
    There is a window above the sink, yet the lighting is poor - we do indeed want to add lighting.
    I really like the idea of adding a couple of doors with glass doors - I hadn't thought about that - have considered simply replacing all the doors. The cabinets are solid oak, custom made, and I'm ok with them -sturdy pullouts, etc.
    Not in love with the soffits, but removal adds to the budget and I'm not sure I want to spend the resources that way. I'm also quite short and have to 'climb' the way it is! :)
    Extending the cabinets on the wall where the table is has always been a priority, as the current design makes it difficult to have a chair on the kitchen side and still open the cabinet door.
    If we keep the current cabinet color (honey oak?), what are thoughts on counter top color and wood flooring? The flooring will be carried out throughout the entire level.
    Sink? Any opinions on style, brand, color?

In addition to the kitchen update, I am in the planning stage of 'repurposing' our back closet and pantry along with a bit of the garage, into a laundry/mud room. The washer and dryer currently share space with a bathroom - NOT a good situation - especially with four sons, and any foster children we may have at any given time.
    I appreciate the dialogue and welcome the ideas!

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

I could leave the soffit as I don't think it will make that much of a difference. I would remove the valance over the window.

Check out the link attached about designing around oak cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: keeping the golden oak

• tonic16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debrak - thank you for the link! Not only good ideas, but affirms that keeping my oak is ok.

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

Friends of mine with oak cabinets updated their kitchen recently. They moved some cabinets and added a few new ones. Same exact cabinet but in a darker stain. Put on a granite counter and new hardware. New SS appliances and the kitchen looks completely new.

Good luck and keep us posted on your project!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I really like this update to an oak kitchen (no painting).

Here is a link that might be useful: update oak kitchen

• tonic16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link nosoccermom! I'm slowly beginning to feel the excitement of the endeavor! Thanks for the links, and ideas! I am certain I will continue to have questions as the process moves along.
    Thanks!

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

I love the idea of staining them darker and embracing their "oakiness". I think a lighter stone... I'm a fan of natural movement so maybe something like Bianco Antico would look great.