Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me like my new Vitamix

Posted by a2gemini (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 19:47

OK, I broke down and bought the Vitamix. I made my first smoothie in it and it took 3 cycles to break up the ice and spinach that I was hiding.
Is this a case of the Emperor's new clothes or is there a learning curve or is my unit defective (750)
I need to make some soup next week for a friend. I bought celery, tomatoes, cuke plus pineapples, grapes, etc.

I also want to make a really good veggie juice..
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me like my new Vitamix

A vitamix does need some liquid.

o

I was going to say the same thing about liquid. I have had a Vitamix for about 5 years, and i use it every morning for a smoothie with an orange, half a frozen banana, frozen blueberries, a whole carrot and some greens. This mixture takes a surprising amount of water to get it mixed and it doesn't end up thin (I sometimes make it thinner with even more water). I don't use any ice because much of the fruit is already frozen. I have a Vitamix 5200, so I don't know anything about the cycles. I do know that this thing will grind up everything so long as there is enough liquid. It will get old, thick kale down to nothing and many blenders aren't capable of that.

I love my Vitamix, and I would buy another if it broke. My warranty is still good for a couple of years yet for me.

o

I've had mine for about 6+ yrs and it still grinds like it's new. I can make shaved ice, smoothies, soup, etc. like prior people have said, it does need some liquid. It grinds things down so much that it somehow thickens it.

I don't have cycles on mine so I don't know. I blend on high and that usually takes care if whatever I have in there.

Keep trying. You will love it!!!

o

It is called RTFM (Read the freaking manual). LOL

I don't put any ice in my smoothies, as I don't like them too cold, but always a cup (or so) of cold yogurt or another cold liquid. Even ice cream recipes call for one cup of liquid and it doesn't come out liquid-y, just soft.

It shouldn't take 3 cycles to make a smoothie but there is definitely a learning curve.

One tip: never ever keep the transparent part of the lid inside the VM. It is hard to see before morning coffee and I once forgot it was there. It was destroyed, of course, by the time I realized why the sound was so unusual. :-)

o

You will soon get a feel for how to load the container, and will see what a difference it makes. One thing I might suggest is to read several different recipes, paying attention to the order of adding things. I've had my vitamix for more than seven years, and I know you will get the hang of it just by continuing to use it. Fluid is good to get things going, especially frozen things. Another tip is to let it run a little longer than you think you've been doing so far, sometimes it looks like not much is happening, until all at once the remaining stuff falls into the blending vortex, and things happen very very fast at that point. You'll get it!

o

Blendtec all the way :)

o

Like Toronto Tim, I also have a Blendtec and absolutely LOVE it. They both are great and you will grow to LOVE your Vitamix. We use it everyday !!! I have made whole juice, smoothies, soup, almond butter, etc. Our family often talks about how much healthier we eat now because of it.

It crushes ice really well, but scares me because even tho I know it has alot of pwr - I am afraid I might burn out the motor (past experience w/other less $ blenders). So, I always use crushed ice instead of those big ol' cubes. I often use frozen organic fruit when i am lazy or don't have the fresh on hand. Generally, I will put some cold water before I start too, because the veggies and fruits get pretty frothy and the water dilutes adds a better consistency for our liking.

Good luck a2, you will LOVE it!!

o

Hahhaha: I had a similar beginning w/ my Vitamix. I actually burnt it out, and had to wait for it to cooldown/reset. I was stunned that I could do that to such an expensive blender.
THEN I read the manual which suggest using HIGH most of the time.

But once I got the hang of it, I can't imagine my life w/out it!!!
- homemade coconut butter
- green pina colada (w/ spinach, frozen zucchini, pineapple, coconut butter, vanilla protein powder)
- healthy version of Reese peanut butter cup "milkshake" (w/ chocolate protein powder, pb2, cooked sweet potato, ice cubes)
- healthy mint chocolate chip ice cream (w/ frozen zucch, banana, avocado, truvia, peppermint extract, choco chips)
- almond meal from raw almonds

keep practicing,
there's some great recipes out there (I like the Paleo ones).
Amanda

o

Amanda,

Please-please post your recipes for:

- homemade coconut butter
- green pina colada (w/ spinach, frozen zucchini, pineapple, coconut butter, vanilla protein powder)
- healthy version of Reese peanut butter cup "milkshake" (w/ chocolate protein powder, pb2, cooked sweet potato, ice cubes)

TIA!

o

Hmmm I'm intrigued now. Well have to check these out. So instead of figuring out chandys for DR, my bath and front entrance I'm now going to check out VitaMix! lol. What kind of protein powder do you use? And any websites and/or blogs you would recommend for recipes?

o

Here's my Reese's pnut butter protein shake (note: I don't usually measure so adjust to taste)

- approx 3/4 to 1 cup milk or coconut milk (I always put the liquid in the VM first)
- 3-4 oz low fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 banana
- strawberries or blueberries
- approx 2 Tbs unsweetened Peanut butter
- 1 Tbs Chia seeds
- 1 heaping Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbs honey
- 6-8 ice cubes

20 seconds on high in the VM and I'm good to go. Makes a great breakfast!

Bonnie

o

If you all keep touting the Vitamix like this I may have to give up my membership in the ABVM club!

o

You will be a master mixologist before you know it!

At first, adding water felt like it would water down the taste. But whole food smoothies have all that fiber that gets emulsified; water - or whatever liquid your recipe needs - makes all the difference in the world.

o

I just purchased my VM last week and am having fun with it. Everything tastes really good, even DH is glad I bought it. But sometimes you just have to overlook the color...

o

Okay, I have to admit...I don't have a Vitamix. (ducking head, hiding in shame) I never thought I needed one. So, do I need one? Do I need to figure in space for this future purchase in the kitchen layout?

o

Thanks, Bonnie!

Still need that pina colada recipe!

o

If you're looking for recipe ideas check out the following link.

The site has more discussion of what makes recipes good and how you might modify them than what you'll find in the standard Vitamix cookbook.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vitamix Recipes

o

Thank you!

I have tried a lot of smoothies especially in my days as a raw foodist. :-) I know a killer gazpacho recipe that I am not allowed to share, sorry. Amanda's recipes sound different somehow. It seems that I have fallen behind, it seems. LOL.

BTW, I want to warn the newbies to be careful. There are a lot of recipes on the Internet that people rave about but it does not mean they are good for everybody. I once made a smoothie with green cabbage (fresh and organic) and it caused severe vomiting (sorry about TMI). DH had the same experience. I thought it was just a fluke and tried again. It is not hard to guess what happened then. LOL

Had the same problem with beet juice and avocado soup. Not everyone's stomach can digest everything. I love all three vegetables and eat them often but the juice was just too much.

o

I've had my Vita-mix for over 25 yrs and make smoothies almost every morning. I have learned that you must layer your ingredients carefully for optimum blending. I start with the liquid (I use kefir) and follow with fruits that grind up easily - in my case an apple and fresh pineapple. Follow with a handful of greens (spinach/kale/chard) and end with frozen berries. If I add the frozen berries at the bottom of the sequence, they start freezing the kefir which ends up being too solid to circulate and incorporate the rest of the ingredients. I've never added ice cubes to mine, but I do like some frozen content so the finished smoothie will be chilled to taste.

o

Just wrote a long message and it went into cyberspace!!!

Anyway - a shorter version - thanks for all of your suggestions and ideas. I am doing better. I did follow the manual on the first round but I think it was too much ice for the amount of fruit and it locked up (the giant frozen strawberries were like giant ice cubes as well - they were local frozen berries from a CSA)

I made a decent smoothie post bike ride (DH didn't figure out I put spinach and protein powder in it - LOL) - and I rode despite throwing my back out - putting on socks of all things!!!

I also made an awesome dried tomato hummus - just the right consistency.

Can't wait to try some new recipes.

Eleena - not fair as gazpacho is one thing I want to make. Also - I looked at the clear plastic thing after I dried the blender and said to myself - I don't think I should drop this in the blender and you confirmed my thoughts. Also, it might be the cabbage was contaminated and not the recipe - one drop of campylobacter will make anyone quite sick (as well as the more commonly known versions)

Toronto and Go Tim - I am sure the Blendtec is similar to the Vitamix.

Cooks- wow - 25 years - how many Vitamix units did you have during this time?

Suska - hope your learning curve is better than mine so far...

Terri, HollyKay, Andrea - don't leave me alone - I need a support group...

Anna, cooks, adamp, bons, and anyone I missed - thank you for your support and ideas!!

I can't wait to try some desserts and soups - note my order of preference!!

o

"Cooks- wow - 25 years - how many Vitamix units did you have during this time? "

One.

o

Dried Tomato Hummus...yum! I've been making hummus with roasted red pepper w a couple kalamata olives & fresh herbs added towards the end. I save some garbanzos for the end too so some texture remains. Trader Joes has lost some of my business for their pre made veg dips. :-)

At 1st I thought the stick (forget its proper name) was kind of odd, and then I got it...it's what allows it to make the thickest, most luxurious creations whether frozen items or dense food, ie., nut butters.

Sipping on my version of a sugar free Almond Joy Iced Mocha:
- chilled or frozen (strong) coffee cubes (only had chilled today) - about 6oz
- 1 TB unsweetened shredded coconut
- 6 raw whole almonds
- tsp raw flax seed (natural thickener)
- unsweetened cocoa powder to taste
- dash vanilla extract
- sweetener of choice - a depitted date today but often Stevia
- chilled milk of choice - dairy, non dairy... about 6oz
- @ 6-8 ice cubes, depending on how cold the other items are
- added nutritional thickeners, if you want, such as protein powder

Set it on Smoothie, or manual high. Pour over ice if it's more liquid. 2 large servings.

I never measure anything, so I'm just quesstimating.

o

Huango, please please share the recipe for green piña colada. Thanks

o

Andreak, it's hard to say whether you "need" a vitamix or blendtec. We have a blendtec and its highly used for breakfast smoothies in our house. It's a giant step towards healthier eating. It's a convenience. At this point it's a "must" item in our house, but only you can decide whats right for you.

o

Didn't anyone suggest the frozen banana 'ice cream'? I make it in my Omega juicer but I'm sure a VM would do fine.

Recipe: Drop in frozen bananas and blend. Eat. Marvel at the delishiousness of frozen bananas. Seriously. It's like banana ice cream.

o

Sorry, just saw the request for the pina colada recipe.
I made it again today for a playdate/kids' mom: so yummy! The kids sucked it all down; the green color didn't phase them. I called it The Hulk juice.

guestimate measurements:
makes 2-3 servings:
- 1 big bunch of washed fresh spinach
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 scoops of vanilla protein powder (Optimum Nutrition)
- 1 medium zucchini (cubed) - I freeze them like ice cubes
- 1-2 Tablespoon unsweeten coconut butter (I made in the Vitamix from unsweetened coconut flakes)
- 1.5 cups of pineapple (including the center fiberous part) - I freeze as cubes
- 2+ packets Truvia (depending on how sweet the pineapple is)
- 5+ ice cubes
Blend first 4 ingredients together on HIGH until thoroughly blended (~45-60sec). Then blend in rest until ice is blended.

Next time I make it, I'm adding yummy rum = mommy juice!

Amanda

side note: I just made some yummy chocolate chips cookies with no flour! So good!
- almond meal
- honey
- carob chips, etc.

o

Amanda,

Thank you for the recipe! But I want to know more and especially the healthy mint chocolate chip ice cream you mentioned!

Is there a particular Paleo website where you get these?

Hos do you make coconut butter? I make coconut milk using flakes. Do I just add less water?

TIA!

o

Deedles, I make a version of this "ice cream" in my Li'l Oscar food chopper (a poor man's vitamix?)

Frozen fruit of choice (I particularly like the summer fruit mix from Aldi, the one with melon and grapes) -- grind into coarse meal--add yogurt of choice (I usually use nonfat sweetened vanilla) and blend a few seconds until creamy soft serve (too long will melt it!). If you want it firmer, pop the bowl into the freezer for a bit.

When the Lil Oscar dies, I may upgrade to the VM--it sounds easier to use for all the things I already do with it.
And those vegetable smoothies sound excellent!
Rae

o

I am now into week 3+ with Vitamix and slowly turning from a skeptic to a zealot! After my first attempt, I was planning to return it, but stayed the course. Most recipes are low sodium and relatively healthy.

So far
Sun Dried Tomato Hummus - awesome
Wild Rice/Mushroom/Chicken soup - awesome
Almond milk(plus fruit) sherbet - awesome
Blueberry/Peach Ice cream (with half/half) awesome
Watermelon/Lemon Drink - awesome
Smoothies - my DH loves them and they are healthy
Plus more not listed...

So yesterday, I had peeps coming for dinner. I started the morning by making hummus and then planted part of the garden. Off to ride my bike for 100K plus brunch at a localish restaurant. Returned and shopped for a few missing items. Home at 4 - guests coming at 6 - time to go into hyperspace.

Smoothie recovery drinks for DH and myself
2 batches of pasta sauce - whirled it up and put on stove to simmer
Next was the focaccia - whipped up the dough in the Vitamix, kneaded it with VM and then let it rise.
Clean and cut up the asparagus, mushrooms, and spinach

Wow - what happened to the time it is 5:45- run upstairs for a shower and then back to kitchen to get ready for arrivals. Time to spread out the hummus, cook the asparagus, and sauté the mushrooms and spinach.

Now, on Dancer... - Fill up the pasta pot and heat on the induction cooktop - wait it is boiling to fast, so turn it down until the guests arrive.

Guests arrive and we enjoy the hummus, watermelon drink and remaining smoothies.

Time to toss the focaccia in the oven - it will take about 15-20 minutes.

Get the water boiling, heat up the grill pan and panini press for the shrimp(did I mention these...had to defrost them) - toss the shrimp on the grill and panini press to cook while pasta is cooking and now it is time for the asparagus soup to get started.

Popped the ingredients into VM and shwoosh, the soup is hot - and need to add the cream (I splurged on the half cup - i used half and half and not heavy creamy it called to use.
It is now 7 PM and it is dinner. It was awesome but there is one tired cook in the house.

Tonight we went out to dinner for DH birthday - no cooking!!!

o

Wow, that's amazing! I am tired just thinking about all you did. I want to be like you when I grow up but for now I will just be the slug I am. No Vitamix in my house. Maybe Santa will bring me one this Christmas.
Happy Birthday to your hubby.

o

I was just on here looking around today and was wondering how you are doing when I saw your post. Welcome to the zealot club!

I've been using it lately to coat greens before dehydrating them...wonderful! Making granola tonight and will whip up the wet ingredients in my new friend.

Glad you are enjoying it!

o

Thanks Badger and Anna - I am looking forward to trying more recipes.
Anna - how do you coat greens?
Badger - let's get you out of the ABVM club! I will give DH a happy b-day. We went to a fancy restaurant which offers a nice discount on your b-day. A2 has great deals on birthdays - I like to be off and go collect the goodies on my bday.

o

Here's a YouTube demo. I don't like my KC super coated, so I made a much thinner sauce. But it's pretty amazing the creative recipes the VM invites.

We made a batch of dehydrated collard greens over the weekend since we have a garden full of them. I was shocked at how sweet they were. The sauce was similar to the one in this recipe with sesame seeds, olive oil and nutritional yeast as the base, then a bunch of vegetables, fresh whole lime, touch of vinegar, and a date, no other nuts, no soaking.

I like this person's method for mixing. I still end up getting my hands in there to separate out leaves. It dehydrated in about 6 hours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kale Chip Demo w a VM

o

Tonight I made a batch of peach sherbert and DH loved it.
1 cup almond milk, 1 TBS honey, 1 lb of frozen peaches (I froze a zillion last summer as it was a good season). This was my second try with this one and it came out great!!

Anna - I will watch your video - my swiss chard is popping in the garden and some even wintered over - so maybe I can have chard chips!

I also discovered that you can freeze hummus - I took some on a road trip and the hotel fridge was set very cold and my VM hummus was a solid rock. I looked at the ingredients and nothing was problematic from the freezing standpoint.

Also - I posted on my other VM post - has anyone tried to freeze half/half or cream ice cubes and made vanilla ice scream?

o

After reading this thread, I am now hungry. Blueberry/peach ice cream sounds great right now.

I saw a question about a website for paleo recipes. This one has given me some ideas in the past:

Paleo recipes

o

A2 that peach sherbet sounds amazing! One of these days I may just leave the ABVM club. Maybe when I retire and have more time to fiddle in the kitchen.

o

Holly-Kay no need for time! It only takes a couple minutes for a lot of recipes. I mainly use mine for smoothies before leaving for work in the morning. I get all dry/unrefrigerated ingredients and leave by mine. While I am getting ready I get the rest out and throw it all in. Then right before I leave for work I start it, put it in a container and am out the door. I value my sleeping so I only need to get up less than 5 minutes earlier if I am not making one - or just hurry if I oversleep. ;-)

o

I think I perfected the peach ice cream- I added 1/4 cup ice cold(it lives in the freezer) amereto.(not sure I spelled it right )
I froze the leftovers and scooping it was great. I will have to try some others.

Holly- definitely don't wait until you retire(although I semi retired and we discovered close in age)

Look what I put together in 2 hours on a Sunday (see above)

Soups at night are going to save so much time.

Interesting on the banana idea- I made banana smoothies yesterday- don't forget to peel before freezing - chalk that one up to a learning curve...

I have a lot of paleo friends, so good option.

o

That peach ice cream sounds wonderful! Can't wait till they are in season.

Tonight I made a dipping sauce for roasted vegetables. Simple simple:

- bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- cumin, salt, pepper, to taste
- squeeze lime
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- EVOO
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- a little bit of H2O to thin just a little
- 1 TB raw sesame seeds

I got the basic idea from our local natural grocer who had a sample, along with a similar sauce made with a mildly hot roasted red pepper. The orange-red and bright green sauces next to each other were beautiful.

It was a hit as people were using it on everything.

o

Anna
I froze a ton of peaches last year. I just wash them, cut in half and freeze on a silpat and bag them. I leave the skin on for the VM but take it off for my muffins. If you defrost- the skins slide off easily.

I could look this up but what is evoo

Thanks

o

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

o

Thanks - duh!!! It was the crack of dawn...
BTW - did you hear that NYCBD is out of the ABVM club! Check out her awesome menu for her graduation party.

o

I forgot I have an ipad folder of VM recipe sites. This is a favorite. The coconut fruit ice cream looks wonderful!

Here is a link that might be useful: VM Recipes w Pics

o

Anna - that looks like a great link! Thanks!

o

I continue to be amused by the wonderful colors of various recipe experiments. Here's today's top 2.

A coral fruit juice made with pineapple, apple, steamed & chilled yam, lemon, fresh ginger, and organic raw hemp seeds, and just a few drops of liquid stevia. (And a big carrot - almost forgot...)

And a soup using a red potato zapped in the microwave, quickly sautéed celery, baby leeks & frozen peas; fresh thyme, parsley, and dill, dash of salt, pepper, home grown cayenne, and some cheese lying around the frig - think it was cheddar, & milk. While on the soup cycle, I added chicken stock till I got the consistency I wanted.

Hope your experiments continue.

This post was edited by AnnaA on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 22:02

o

Anna- you are amazing! Have to try some new tricks this weekend!
I bought myself a birthday present- the smaller wet container. (DM sends a check)

I made home made polenta on Sunday using my dry container to grind some corn and then made an oyster mushroom sauce to put on top(not in vitamix)

o

Yum... the polenta sounds good! I just made some coconut milk and going to make a tropical smoothie next. So much fun trying out new recipes!

o

a2gemini- How small is the smaller wet container?

o

j hack - Coconut milk? I will have to try that - I just developed a craving - do you use fresh coconut?

GWlolo - 48 oz - it fits in my drawer for storage with its tamper inserted inside...

Are we having fun!!!

Now - we are heading on a road trip soon to visit DM and DB - do I take the VM with us?

o

YES! 😊

o

A2 - The recipe was on Vitamix's sit and is simple. 2 cups water and 1 cup shredded cocounut and blend for 3 minutes. I would rather use fresh, but it is a lot of work. I tasted after I made it up and it tasted good warm; I may even prefer it warm to cold. I do recommend straining/using a nut milk bag to smooth out the texture. I don't mind the texture, just makes drinking it a tad different than smothing with nothing in it.

o

Anna- now just have to convince DH.
Thanks jhack!
Is a nut bag similar to cheese cloth?

o

A recipe in my smoothie book calls for juicing, followed by blending 2 Brusells sprouts with cucumber, lemon juice, ice, apples, and avocado. Somehow I cannot envision juicing Brussels sprouts. Seriously? So now I need a juicer and a VM?

o

KD - we need to get you out of the ABVM club...
But brussel sprouts - I love them roasted but not in my smoothier - and Bill Cosby will agree - if anyone remembers his comedy routine about brussel sprouts...

o

I am looking for simple recipes for hot soups that can be made without having to precook stuff. I got excited about the potatoe soup recipe until I realized you have to pre bake the potatoes.

Yes, I got sucked into buying one at Wegmans today. I have 30 days to take it back if it's a disaster! ; )

o

Hobo- welcome aboard and don't give up.
How about tomato soup?
No precooking needed

A bunch of tomatoes, garlic and whatever herbs you like. Push the button and soup!

Also- local whole foods is doing demos this weekend and whipped up tortilla soup I don't remember everything they plopped in but nothing was pre cooked except they used hot water to save time during the demo.

Are you from PA?

No wegman's out here but dd used to talk about them.

This post was edited by a2gemini on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 21:02

o

Welcome HobokenK. I'm chuckling as we brought our VM to a dinner gathering a few weeks ago and now they too picked one up.

Here's a link to a sample of a soup made with all raw ingredients. There's a bunch more.

I get a kick out of YT recipe demos for a secondary reason - looking at people's kitchens in action.

Enjoy. Let us know what you create.

Here is a link that might be useful: VM Raw Soup Demo

o

A quick question. How does the Vitamix heat the soup? Or do you mix it in the VM and then transfer and heat on cooktop?

Costco has it for $499. I have way too much going on right now with the kitchen reno but I am keeping the VM in my mind once I have things under control here with the kitchen and re-doing the living room.

o

Congrats A2 - glad you took the plunge and are now a fan. I missed your post earlier - work has curtailed my GW daily fix. Sounds like you are well on your way to being a VM addict - ha!

Hobo - as A2 mentioned the tortilla soup is very easy and all raw veggies. It was this soup demo that convinced me that I HAD to buy the VM. I'm sure there are others, but I usually just roast some veggies in the oven (great flavor), throw them in the VM and voila!

Good luck!!

o

Holly-
It heats via friction from spinning so fast. It is amazing to see the steam rising and realize just a quick clean and on to ice cream.

The Costco model is the taller model and I wanted the shorter version with the programs. (I put it on soup and it is soup)

Also check the warranty for the Costco version- at the WF demo, the rep mentioned the Costco version had a shorter warranty.

Mgb- yup - I had to take the plunge or get voted off the island. At the demo, I was the ONLY person who didn't own one. The others came for ideas and free samples -at WS

Anna- I will check that site.

I froze a lot of roasted peppers last year and toss them into soup as well.

Also- learned a coot trick at the WF demo- chopping veggies! Drop in some carrots and stick the celery through the hole and chop away on level one!

o

A2 - yes the nut milk bag is a lot like cheesecloth but in bag form. I went to Williams Sonoma this past week and they did not carry them. I should've went to Sur La Table. Oh well. Maybe next week.

off topic... but, GO BLUE!

o

We are in PA. I LOVE Wegmans. Well all of them except the Princeton one which needs a makeover. If you buy it at Wegmans they extend the warranty from 7 to 8 years which seemed really good.

I saw them make the tortilla soup. I am going to check that link for more raw soups. I need ones I can make quickly.

Honestly though what I need to do more of is get back to meal planning. We've been grabbing whatever was handy in the freezer for far too long now and need to get back to planning. That way if I need potatoes which are baked I can make a bunch and stick them in the fridge.

I think we may try a smoothy this morning and see how it goes. Can I return it if we've tried it out? I'm so nervous that I've just spent $449 on something we'll never actually use.

o

Hobo - I am swinging by PA to visit DM. Hope to run into some of my GW peeps along the way - sounds like you are closer to NJ. We do have Hillers, Trader Joe, and Whole Foods very close to us.

I am like you - I just decide I want to make something and then look at the pantry and say - nope, nope, nope.
But you can substitute pretty easily - I bought garlic scapes at market yesterday and just dropped it in the shoot -
I have been freezing chicken broth - but I also buy the 8 oz versions for a pinch.

Here is one for you - Home made pasta sauce
Drop in about 1/4 cup of onion - no need to chop - just take off the skin
1 garlic clove or 1 garlic scape (the shoot)
Turn on VM to level 1
Add
1 carrot
1 celery through the shoot (or spinach, kale, etc)
Let it chop the veggies and turn off

Add
6 Roma tomatoes - or whatever you have around
2 TBS tomato paste - I started using the tubes, so I always have some in the fridge.
1/2 tsp basil - or a couple fresh leaves
1/2 tsp oregano - same deal
1/2 tsp lemon juice or just a slice of lemon - just leave the peel on!
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Follow the directions for a smoothie
For this one - it is recommended to transfer to the stove for 30-45+minutes - but so healthy and fresh and easy!!!

Hang in there - you will use it - I did the tortilla soup today. Darn - WS didn't extend the warranty - so only 7 years (I think)

j-hack - I saw one at Whole Foods but they weren't selling them - thanks for the hint that Sur La TAble has them - I might be able to use my yogurt strainer until I find one.

o

Wow, I am picturing a tomato, basil, bisque soup.

I will have to check with DD as she says Costco pretty much gives money back on anything you decide you don't like except for electronics and cell phones.

I wonder how many restaurants make their soup on the fly using a commercial version of the VM?

o

HK - Tomato basil soup is awesome - so frosh...
I doubt that many restaurants make the soup in VM just based on volume...
But I may eat my words...
How is that kitchen going - hopefully smoother.

o

We seem to be on the final stretch now with the kitchen but the furniture for the living room needs to be ordered and painting done throughout. I am hoping that the kitchen will be complete by the end of this month. I can't wait for running water in my kitchen and a convenient fridge! I am so anxious to get the use of my kitchen back and hopefully get a VM for soups, smoothies, and ice cream! Yummy!

o

With the exception of a few dissenters can I assume that the Vitamix is the MacDaddy of blenders? I've been wondering about them having seen them demonstrated...I was at Costco today and they had the Vitamix for $375. I had looked online and it was $499. It was tempting but $375 for a blender is still giving me pause!!! Maybe I'll look on ebay for a used one : )

o

Sara- as you know, I bought the VM and had my doubts. But, I amoritized it over the warranty life of 7-8 years and then it didn't seem so bad.

If you get one, make it a goal to use it at least every couple days to try something new.

That way, you will make friends with it!

o

Some posts back, someone wondered about soup recipes that didn't need precooked ingredients. On Saturday, I decided to turned 1/2 head raw cauliflower and a small remaining bunch of raw broccoli into soup. I loaded them into the VM with chicken broth, onion and some cheese. After about a minute, I thought, oh no, they were not cooked, I wonder how long this is gonna take? I stopped it after 6 minutes, and upon removing the cover, I had plenty of steam. Tasted it, delish...now I'm not sure how important that precooking step even is.

o

I was thinking of trying broccoli, cheddar soup tonight as we have some left over from the veggie tray.
I think I'm going to give it a go - now you're making me consider skipping the pre cooking part.....

o

I never thought I had a problem with succumbing to the influence of my peers, but here I am, with a brand-new VM staring at me from the kitchen counter. How did I not know that I needed one? How did merely following this thread gently nudge me in the direction of Costco one morning (after dropping DH at O'Hare for a flight to Scotland -- well out of the way of flying fruits and vegetables)? I like a2gemini's advice to keep using it at the beginning. There's definitely a learning curve, but I already see improvement in my smoothies, and I'm going to make some soup for dinner. Wish me luck.

BTW, I think this will be the last big purchase that gets folded into the kitchen renovation budget. We're back to reality now.

o

Weeeeeelll, the soup tastes good, but it's foam and lurid green.
What did I do wrong?

I made it per the recipe I found online. Milk, shredded cheese, broccoli and some left over cauliflower.

It tastes ok, but the frothy texture is.... odd. Help?

o

Yes, continual experimentation will lead to learning new tricks.

Here's a real simple broccoli soup recipe from Gordon Ramsay. I've used his method on a few things - par boiling or quick boiling before blending - and adding lots of other ingredients along the way - and I'm liking the results.

And I've made a few things that I couldn't stomach and have used them to add fuel to the compost pile, but those errors have taught me as well.

My new favorite is making the wet ingredients for granola. I don't use sugar, and keep items like honey and black strap molasses to a minimum. The VM allows me to use all sorts of fruit in that base for sweetener and stickiness, as well as adding protein and other ingredients. Very happy with the results so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ramsay's Simple Broccoli Soup

o

A couple of questions for a2gemini and others who have the Vitamix 750 model:

How does it deal with nut butters - Peanut, chocolate hazelnut etc. Do I need the dry jar for that?

Can I open the jar lid when it is running and add some ingredients to blend in. Like drizzle in oil for pesto or Aioli or add protein powder to a smoothie. Does it splatter and make a mess if this is done when the blender is spinning?

o

GW - You would do nut butters in the regular container and not the dry container - I decided that Whole Foods makes great fresh almond butter, so haven't tried it yet.
Yes, you can open the top and drizzle into various items - might want to slow it down and not run full speed...

Anna - you are amazing with all of your ideas - can't wait to try the soup - not sure if I am ready for granola - I like it but it is easier to purchase - downstream???

Hobo - that looks nuclear - what is it? I bet I will figure out as I go up the thread... Yup figured it out - glad it tastes OK - but maybe serve with sunglasses!

JustMakeIt - welcome to the ABVM alumni club - yup, I put some extras into the reno budget - VM came from Uncle Sam - DH didn't modify our deductions when we refinanced the house..

Suska - yum!!

o

GW, I've been making a variety of nut butters in the 750, 64 oz wet container. The key seems to be making sure I use at least 4 cups of nuts so the tamper can continually push the top layer into the blade as the nuts turn to a paste and warm up and then self blend. The nut butter recipes helped me discover just how ingenious that tamper gadget is.

If the nuts are low in oil - like when making chocolate hazelnut butter - I've got to add more oil, especially if I'm using cacao powder.

First green drink I made I splattered green all over my ceiling...I'm learning that I can add things while it's running only when I'm sure nothing is going to erupt. :-)

o

a2gimini lol amortize ~ works for me! think it will work in this case if I do use it. This morning I hauled out the Cuisinart and made a smoothie using some of everyone's suggestions of what they do. I used fresh fruit, snuck in some spinach leaves, yogurt and water. I have not been able to leave the house due to continued threat of being too far from the loo. I assume that goes away? I just thought before I succumb I should be sure I could down a spinach smoothie even when disguised : )

Justmakeit, you are so funny!! I am the same way, I could never watch an infomercial, I am just simply too much of a pushover!!! I feel a VM is definitely in my future. I hope our Costco will have a demo soon. I have seen the demos before and thought to myself who would buy a blender for that much money??? Well, it appears it will be ME!!! Trying to be healthier in my food choices. I love to bake, need I say more? Oy vey...

Hoboken, well as long as it tasted good?

o

We couldn't eat it. The texture was just too off. Does anyone know why broccoli and cheese would go foamy like that? Maybe I should have used water instead of milk?

o

Ask, and Google attempts to provide. Does the broccoli qualify as greens? Did you try re-blending?

Here is a link that might be useful: Anything here helpful?

o

Has anyone seen the 750 professional model at Costco? The costco website just list 6300 as the demo model. I was hoping to buy the 750 from Costco as it has the presets and the height that would work for my kitchen. If Costco does not sell the 750, is my best price+warranty bet then amazon? Or some other vendor like WS or Sur La Table. What about ebay? Do you still get the warranty?

o

Costco does not sell the 750. They are currently selling two models--the 5200 for $375 and the 6300 for $500. When I was there last week, the man doing the demo said that the 6300 was equivalent to some other model. I think he said 600, but I can't be sure. But definitely not the 750. WS and SLT are selling the 750.

I bought the 5200 a few weeks ago before the 6300 came out at Costco. The guy said I could return it for the 6300. But I am not sure that the 6300 is worth the difference.

I originally thought I wanted the 750 because I wanted the unit to fit under my cabinets. I discovered that the taller version fits but without the lid on. I am glad that I got the 5200 though because the larger capacity is important for me. We have been making double batches of gazpacho and the smaller container would not hold all the ingredients. So if you want the 750 because of the height, think about whether it might work for you to leave the unit on the counter with the lid off and put away somewhere.

o

NYC - what is the capacity of your container?
My large container is 64 oz and my smaller container is 48 oz. I have been chicken to try double batches - I have to look to see if you posted your Gazpacho recipe - I want to make some for this weekend and have some wonderful Amish Paste tomatoes and other tomatoes to toss into the VM.

Hobo - Most of the "cream" and milk recipes add the milk at the end - I wonder if that makes a difference. I did make tomato soup with milk - might have been a bit frothy but it was great.

Sarakat - My mothers food processor never quite achieved the amortization potential - I think she used it about 3-4 times and I only used it a handful as well. The newer ones are larger capacity - but the one time I did use it - for a custard (as per the recommended directions) - I didn't realize the middle is lower than the rim - so I am adding the egg custard and suddenly, I have egg custard flowing down through the center, across the counter, and down the cabinets and DW - fortunately before the remodel...

o

hobo-
I saw a youtube video on that very issue. At such high speed, lots of air is introduced into your mixture. In order to remove it, (once fully blended) turn up the speed very slowly from 1, just until you see the "tornado" at the surface. You will see the large air bubbles work their way out. That should significantly reduce what you find objectionable. I do know what you're referring to, but it doesn't bother me, it's just different. Sometimes I remove the air, sometimes I just leave it as is.

o

Suska, thank you for the air bubble tip. I've been trying it lately with nice results. Tonight I made fresh pea soup, and the slow speed after a 20 sec rest made it velvety smooth without the bubbles. And then I made a chocolate coconut banana pudding in my small 32 oz container (am LOVING this size; perfect for 2-person recipes!). Same thing - it smoothed it out nicely.

A2, got a bunch of peaches here and plan on using your peach ice cream recipe in a day or 2. Thank you for perfecting it! Amaretto is chilling!

o

Sorry A2 just saw your post.

My container is 64 ounces. I used the gazpacho recipe in the VM cookbook but added a jalapeño too. I also tossed in some bread crumbs.

Morning smoothie for the crowd here: one banana, handful of strawberries or blueberries, some Greek yogurt, a handful of almonds, some chia seeds, a squirt of agave and ice cubes. Yum.

o

NYCBD - thanks! Same size but yours is just taller - the difference is trying to make small batches can be harder in the wider container.

LOL on the Chia seeds - I can remember the Chia pet that almost killed the Chia seed but I have flax and chia in the fridge - but the chia seeds will sprout if you don't eat them quickly - my salad dressing was growing Chia!

Anna - enjoy - I accidentally set my VM to soup last night but figure it out before it was too late!

Suska - I will have to try the air bubble trick - thanks

o

I love all these recipe ideas!

For those who are questioning the vitamix, I have had ours for over 17 years - the same one. Never had a problem.
I have both a dry and wet container. I use to use the dry one regularly to grind wheat when I made bread (I'm not much of a bread baker anymore). Now I mostly just use the dry one to grind coffee.

My kids love making soft serve "ice cream" with it:
Freeze milk in ice cube trays. Place milk ice cubes, some sugar and vanilla extract in the vitamix and blend. You will be surprised how easy and good this is. Works with yogurt too.

o

Camp- perfect I wanted to try the frozen milk cubes! Thanks

o

must. get. vitamix. must. get. vitamix

Wow I think I've been brainwashed! It sure sounds beyond awesome. I think I will be going over to Costco--they were demonstrating one the other day but I was in a hurry and walked by.

I wonder if the Costco price is same as the price they offer at the PX. Problem is they only come to the PX about once a year, and I have no idea how to figure out when that would be.

o

I keep reading these great recipes and suggestions for the VM. Once I get a working kitchen and everything is back in it's place I am going to buy one. I am anxious for some wonderful morning smoothies and the vanilla ice milk sounds luscious!

o

We are headed for a heat wave here in the PNW, with humidity - a rare event. And we're hosting a 4th BBQ party. So, we will be firing up the VM for sure! Can't wait to see how the gazpacho recipe turns out - will look for the recipe but think its in the other thread.

I will scan back, but does anyone have a VM mixed drink recipe using watermelon as the main base? Breezygirl had posted some wonderful margarita recipes a while back... What's your favorite VM slushy mixed drink? Thinking of an Italian Ice type drink.

o

Does anyone know if the different sized containers fit any model? I have the 750 and would love to get a size or two smaller than the 64 oz. I guess I could just search or call...

o

I've just started using the 32oz container on my 750. It's perfect for most things I make. Amazon gave me the impression that the tamper works in this container but it's too long. I had to order the small tamper from the VM site. Amazon does sell a 32oz dry container set that includes this tamper. I thought the wet and dry 32 oz'rs were shaped differently, but I'm not so sure.

It fits / sits differently than the 64oz - the footprint sits within the rubber bumpers on the base, rather than around it.

The only difference I'm noticing is that my chia seeds didnt totally emulsify, but the drink color was light, and maybe the same thing was happening in the darker drinks in the 64 oz. I couldn't sense a difference in texture, however, which was good.

o

This morning's treat . . .
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1 tsp instant coffee
blend above until chips blended in
1-1/2 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen skim milk cubes
yield: 2 cups approx

This is our frozen "frappe", and it doesn't have 450 calories !!

Chia seeds tip: soak your chia seeds before adding to the smoothie. 15-30 minutes, a few hours, or overnight.

o

Go for it Cathy!
Anna-I just sent you an email
Angela- yum! I was thinking dessert as I read your post.

o

Go for it Cathy!
Anna-I just sent you an email
Angela- yum! I was thinking dessert as I read your post.

o

Anna - I forgot about your Watermelon - question - there is one in the book that I used.
I used a quart of watermelon (seedless variety but left whatever little seeds were in it - but seeded varieties are sweeter)
I added strawberries (can't remember the exact amount)
The book called for adding rosemary - but I put mint in it as I wasn't sure about rosemary
I blended it via smoothie setting and then poured over ice - if you want slushy consistency, then add the ice before blending.
I think you could make a double or triple batch at once if you don't overdo the cubes.
Yum - too bad I will miss you when out in the PNW.

o

A2--thanks for the encouragement. Bad news was Costco didn't have them anymore. Good news, the local PX will be having a Vitamix roadshow starting July 13th!!! I have it on my calendar. It will be interesting to see if they are selling the same models that were sold at Costco or different ones!!!

o

"BTW, I want to warn the newbies to be careful. There are a lot of recipes on the Internet that people rave about but it does not mean they are good for everybody. I once made a smoothie with green cabbage (fresh and organic) and it caused severe vomiting (sorry about TMI). DH had the same experience."

Good point. I know someone who drank a pint of spinach-beet juice and ended up having to rush to the toilet to keep from having an accident. If you aren't accustomed to drinking large amounts of cathartic vegetables this can be a side effect.

I have a Vita mix and after reading some of the posts here plan to use it for more smoothies.

I like the suggestion about freezing milk cubes for a frozen dessert. I'll try that with coconut juice and make sorbet.

Lots of helpful posts here!

o

Cathy-soon :-) whole foods switched to one of the shorter versions on their last demo, so will be interested to find out what they offer.

Dream- it is a good idea to start slowly when adding new items to diet. Also, it is possible, in your case, the cabbage was tainted with E. coli or another bug causing food poisoning vs intolerance.

We had campylobacter from a pot luck. It was a hot day and a couple had the food in the car all day. They told the host, the ice had melted but they thought it was OK - not! Grrr. It doesn't take much to contaminate a whole dish as the buggers grow fast! (Not our house and not our dish!).

o

A2, the peach ice cream made simply with peaches and milk has been the best!

Freezing watermelon balls and then blending - the best slushy!

Re being careful with the green drinks - I get that one! If a little was good, my mind thought more was better till my digestive track went into shock. So now I try to envision what a non-blended portion of vegetables would look like and go from there...smaller quantities are better. And I avoid the bagged kale now. It is easier to wash the whole leaves and derib, at least the biggest parts which I don't care for.

o

Our first peaches of the season are in - not quite ripe but bought some and will watch them ripen - also try with almond milk.
I will freeze some watermelon balls - great idea!

I made my first "lean green machine" yesterday but substituted a bit too much - I used cantaloupe instead of the orange and yes, it doesn't look appetizing... I have been keeping the quantities small.

I bought some Kale at market today - it is Russian Kale - so not as wrinkly - hope it works to make those chips. I watched the video and realized I didn't have everything to make them. (Hazelnuts and a few more things) - so hope it holds up for a few days.

I also made my first gazpacho soup - OK, I deviated again and it is more orange than red - but wow, it is delicious! (I added some roasted peppers that I made last fall and froze into ice cubes and used an orange pepper as the reds aren't in yet)

Been off visiting DM and consulting, so not much time to check GW on a regular basis.

o

Our first peaches of the season are in - not quite ripe but bought some and will watch them ripen - also try with almond milk.
I will freeze some watermelon balls - great idea!

I made my first "lean green machine" yesterday but substituted a bit too much - I used cantaloupe instead of the orange and yes, it doesn't look appetizing... I have been keeping the quantities small.

I bought some Kale at market today - it is Russian Kale - so not as wrinkly - hope it works to make those chips. I watched the video and realized I didn't have everything to make them. (Hazelnuts and a few more things) - so hope it holds up for a few days.

I also made my first gazpacho soup - OK, I deviated again and it is more orange than red - but wow, it is delicious! (I added some roasted peppers that I made last fall and froze into ice cubes and used an orange pepper as the reds aren't in yet)

Been off visiting DM and consulting, so not much time to check GW on a regular basis.

o

Love my VM!!
One hint for those 'wading in' to the hearty greens in a smoothy: Citrus is a great addition to green smoothies to brighten the flavors and 'mask' the green bitterness without adding a sweetener. I really like the flavor of Kale and spinach in my smoothies, but chard is tough for me without the citrus!

Also - I started making 'green cubes' with my abundance of Kale/Chard/Collards and freezing for later! I wash a couple of bunches of greens, add water and a lemon or grapefruit and blend. Freeze in ice cube trays and then store in Ziplock freezer bags. The green smoothie at 4AM just got a whole lot easier! I throw in 4 or 5 cubes, a banana, some frozen fruit, water, and a hand full of almonds or other nuts and feel like I'm starting the day off right!

o

I just got to see one of these at a friend's house. I was shocked to see what it looked like. I know it is a lifetime warranty product but did not expect to see all plastic, lightweight cheap looking plastic at that. At least the cuisinart feels heavy and looks nice.

Even the container is a lightweight plastic. To me, it looked and felt very cheap and flimsy. I will have to check it out again, as I kind of ran out of the room, lol. I was expecting something really sturdy, glass, metal, at least a bit stylish for that kind of money.

I've always like clear, clean glass. I guess at up to $145 to replace that part ??? that it is best nonbreakable or something. My experience with plastic is that it gets those fine scratches that makes it cloudy. My cuisinart bowl is like that. No?

I know everyone loves these things but I am really shocked.

o

I heard in the vitamix demo that the BPA free poly container is food safe and works best with high speed blending.

see FAQs from vitamix

Btw, I expect to receive my 750 model in 2 weeks. I got it direct from Brenda Kilbane who is the direct sales rep for Vitamix (via Blender lady who had the free shipping code. The machine was $689 but the dry grains and the smaller 32oz container were only $100 each and she threw in the mini tamper for the smaller container, spatulas, boards etc. And the warranty is 8yrs instead of standard 7yrs. Really excited. The 32oz wet container is great for 1cup and 2 cup things like peanut butter, pesto, and ofcourse morning green smoothies for 1 :)

o

Dream- great idea on citrus. They showed that trick at whole foods.

Snookums- did you pick it up? Mine is quite heavy. I actually held off buying as I wanted a glass vessel also for the same reasons The problem is the speeds are so high, glass would crack. I noticed the new KA super blender(.9 hp) switched to plastic. My old KA is glass.

So far, the plastic has stayed clear.

o

No I didn't pick it up. I just took a quick look at it and was very surprised at all the thin plastic. I see about the high speed. That's good to know. I can't imagine why a replacement canister costs between $125-$145. They just got it and said it's very noisy.

o

snookums - I think the reason that a replacement canister probably costs so much is because they don't need replaced very often, if that makes any sense...limited amount of purchases, less sales usually equals a greater cost overall.

o

Ridiculously expensive. They're already producing enough quantity of them to reduce costs and be efficient. Maybe have to roll up costs of other things into it but geez ... would love to know how much the blenders actually cost to produce versus other brands.

I will have to check it out again, I was on the run and just took a quick peek on my way out. They seem to like it. It's just the BB&B version which looks like a basic blender.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 12:19

o

Deep into my yearly season of making tomato sauce with the yard's harvest. Slow roasted...omg, does it smell wonderful!

Usually I de-seed and skin w a sieve. This year I thought, since I VM whole tomatoes w no hint of seeds or skin as they get emulsified, and I've been reading a bit about the benefit of t seeds, why not VM the roasted tomatoes, skin, seeds, & all.

Creamy, silky, sweet, rich tomato flavor, and obviously more sauce for the effort. I will never waste elements of my tomato harvest ever again.

My other experiments continue with making various wet mixes for granola. Last month I made a fig-based mix. A new favorite.

Wish I could say my container remains clear, but the workout I give it shows itself. But, I've had it with the heavy glass (hated my KA glass jar) and will take high speed performance any day.

o

Gemini- Can I make the almond milk/peach/amaretto smoothie with a blender? No budget for a Vitamix with my husband still recovering...but I do have a metal blender that makes a nice strawberry daiquiri :)

o

I explored getting a Vitamix, but I wasn't sure if I would use it enough to make the investment worth it. A friend had a NutriBullet and suggested that I get that since it was much, much cheaper and great at making smoothies, which was my main intent for the Vitamix.

With the 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath, & Beyond, the NutriBullet was only 80 bucks, and it has been perfect for meeting my smoothie needs. It does great with spinach and kale, and it even has a milling blade to make almond or flaxseed powder. I love how easy it is to clean, and I love that the blending container doubles as my cup. It comes with a lid, so I can take my smoothie for lunch in the same container I blended it in. I've even been successful with sherbet recipes.

It takes a little bit of a learning curve to master putting the blade on correctly to keep it from leaking, but otherwise, it's been terrific. I'll still probably get a Vitamix one day for making soup and other things my NB can't do. But, for anyone who just wants a good green smoothie maker, NutriBullet is a good, inexpensive alternative.

o

Jusst a reminder that if you have a doctor's note that you need to use blended food (VitaMix) for nutrition you can get a demo model at a reduced price.

o

Jusst a reminder that if you have a doctor's note that you need to use blended food (VitaMix) for nutrition you can get a demo model at a reduced price.

o

For those of you new to your VM, Blendtec or other high-powered blender, QVC is demoing the VM at 9m EST tonight. I don't typically watch shopping channels, but when they do the VM, I like getting recipe ideas as they work regardless of what make or model machine.

Enjoy

o

Lavender- you can probably do it on a blender but start with the almond milk cold and freeze the peaches into smaller slices.

Anna- I made gazpacho soup tonight and it was great.
I also have made tomato sauce - seeds, skins and all but not in quantity.

What amazes me- the things that took forever are so easy with VM and I look like I know what I am doing as most recipes come our perfect!

o

A2, gazpacho recipe to share? :-)

o

Oh dear - let's see what I did :-)
Basically, I started with the Gazpacho recipe in WS but wanted it chunkier and easier.

Chopped 1 red onion in Vitamix - saved 1/4 cup for another recipe.
Put 3/4 to 1 cup in a bowl for later. Add 1 chopped seedless (skinned or not) cucumber, 1.5-2 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes(or whatever you want - I used a mixture of Amish paste, heirloom, and regular tomatoes), 1 TB lemon juice, 2 tsp fresh chopped parsley, 1 TBS oil to this bowl and refrigerate

Start a second bowl and put the rest of the onions in it.
Core(if you want) another 2 lbs of tomatoes and quarter - put 1/2 in the bowl and the rest in another bowl.(or just combine them all - it works a well as you are going to liquify everything in the end).
1 large or 2 small garlic cloves
Salt and pepper to taste (I keep things low sodium but added a bit for our guests)
2 TBS lemon
1/2 tsp fresh thyme
2 TBS Sherry vinegar (I didn't have any - so used 1 TBS Apple cider vinegar and 1 TBS port wine - LOL)

Blend 1/2 of the tomatoes going from 1 to max until completely smooth. Then turn to level 1 to "burp" it.
Pour into a dish

Add rest of the tomatoes and another cuke and repeat.

Just before serving, add the fresh veggies to the soup or ladle soup and have guests add the veggies.

Now, the WS calls to use 2 cups of cubed french bread and blend that into the first batch of tomatoes(in the vitamin) but I didn't do that step - I didn't have any french bread and wasn't sure about how it would do.

Serve with either plain yogurt or sour cream.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

o

Just curious what others think about throwing zucchini in any VM creation? I know it will probably just add volume, but since I have so many zucchini, I'm always looking for new ways to use them, and I thought, why not the VM...

o

I am in the ABVM group right now but getting intrigued....just finishing a kitchen remo & searching the budget for the extra!! Just want to be damn sure I will use & enjoy it (so far, my 6 month old very pricey Breville FP is neglected as its such a PITA to clean!!). I love this thread & all of your inspiring ideas- Trying to decide is such a b.....

o

suska - I put some in my "lean green machine" smoothies!

Bev - not sure what an FP is, but I had the same thoughts on my Vitamx - would I really use it.

I made a point to try something new almost every day for the first month and managed to make friends with it. Now, I know I can use it - maybe not everyday but at least a couple times per week. Have to get that amoritization to work on the cost of the baby!

o

Suska: I cut up the zucchinis into ice-cube size and freeze them. So instead of throwing in plain ice cubes for my smoothies, I throw in my zucch-ice-cubes. Another way to add in nutrients/veggie.

In my pale smoothies (like pear/banana, etc), I peel the zucch before ice-cubing it.

I ice-cube yellow summer squash also.

Amanda

o

Thanks a2gemini and Amanda! I will give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here