Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

Ikea sneak preview

chinchette
10 years ago

In the home stretch on our investment property. The kitchen seems huge compared to the before. It has a SS chimney hood. Its been really fun!

Comments (47)

• scootermom
    10 years ago

Looking good so far!! Can't wait to see it when it's done. Keep us posted and keep on having fun.

• KBH
    10 years ago

So classic looking. Is the glass frosted in the uppers? It's hard to tell. Love it if so. I'm messy, so I limit glass, but that's a great way to get more glass. What are you doing for backsplash?

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its a flip I am doing, so I am not going to do the backsplash. We painted it. It looks better in person. There is a 24" pantry on the wall that you see, and a 15" pantry flanking the fridge on the opposite wall, which has an odd angle. I will attempt to post a before.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know, I know, the aluminum foil hood was classic, but we did remove it. The closet took up most of the kitchen. It was used for a cat litter box, and laundry. We put the laundry in the garage to max out the kitchen, and as it evolved, there are now nice stretches of counter-tops and its a really workable kitchen. I became addicted to GW when I did my kitchen 7 years ago, so now I feel justified for the time I spent here. If it were my kitchen, I would have put in a few more things, but its still a great kitchen.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the hood...got it at Overstock. The new kitchen is way under 10K. Darn. I can' turn the picture the right way. Sorry!

• flwrs_n_co
    10 years ago

Just had to post to say that your kitchen looks lovely! So nice and airy! And I think it's really nice of you to put drawers in the base units rather than regular base cupboards in a rental. And is that glass in the uppers? Beautiful! You must be the nicest landlord! Can't wait to see the final reveal!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm a nice landlord, but this one will be sold. Its not a very expensive house, so the buyers will still think I'm nice. Its going to look so much better than what is on the market here. The uppers are glass, not totally see-through.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Very Nice!

What are the counters?

• aries61
    10 years ago

Here's the picture rotated 90 degrees

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for rotating the picture!
    The counters are black pearl granite. In person they have a very pleasant color with depth. Sort of a brown undertone to the black.

• cathy725
    10 years ago

Beautiful transformation. You will find a buyer easily!

• rosie
    10 years ago

What a wonderful difference. The painted backsplash is actually a pretty classy design feature.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

Very nice! I always enjoy seeing IKEA kitchens! Thanks so much for sharing.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The main thing I would do differently next time is to not have a stack of 3 drawers next to a stack of 4 drawers. Its too busy looking to me.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Looking great! Once you get the hardware in place, I think the drawers will be less of an issue.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking that with the hardware it might look more busy, no?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Really like the new Ikea kitchen sneak preview and can't wait to see more when hardwood is installed and the kitchen is finished. Thank you for sharing.

• shelayne
    10 years ago

Looks great! I am looking forward to your final reveal!

That will be one happy new buyer in such a wonderfully thought-out kitchen. :)

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Almost done. The hardware is half way on and the first person who got to see it wants to buy it...

• Donaleen Kohn
    10 years ago

I have a question... the two banks of drawers to the left of the stove are differently sized and never line up with each other. How do you deal with the hardware? Is it going to line up?

Yes, I like my symmetry and balance. Maybe too much.

• shelayne
    10 years ago

If you wanted the clean lines on the left, you could take the bottom drawer of the 4-stack and switch it with drawers 2 & 3. The bottom drawer of the 4-stack is the same size as the middle drawer of the 3-stack. Then you would have the 4-stack as shallow, deep, shallow shallow. The horizontal lines would all line up, though.

Just a thought...

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, this is something I really don't like. The Ikea lady thought it would look okay, but I would never do that again. If it were my kitchen, I would buy new drawers, making the stack of 4, a stack of 3. Then all the hardware would be symetrical. All we would have to do is change the position of the glides inside the cabinets.

I am trying to get the idea of what you are saying Shelayne, but I didn't think that the bottom drawer is the same as the middle. I will go look at it. But here is the funny thing: the buyer hasn't noticed it. She looked at 12 houses, them mine, and there was no comparison. We are getting the offer today for full price. Yet it STILL irks ME!!!

I could also switch it for a single door that pulls out and has the four drawers behind one panel. But, I will stop obsessing on it. This means I have to renovate another house to get it right. : )

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I think the kitchen looks wonderful just the way it is. I love the counters and the high end look of the range hood and appliances. I know the new owner is going to enjoy the kitchen.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

I think that I get what Shelayne is saying - for the 3-drawer stack, you have drawers:
    1 - shallow
    2- deep
    3 - deep

For the 4-drawer stack, you have drawers:
    1 - shallow
    2- shallow
    3 -shallow
    4 - deep

I think that Shelayne is assuming that all the deep drawers are the same depth as the other deep drawers and all the shallow drawers are the same depth as the other shallow drawers. I can't tell if this is true or not...it looks to me as if the deep drawer on the 3-drawer stack and the deep drawer on the 4-drawer stack are actually different heights.

If the deep drawers for each cabinet are the same height, then what Shelayne mentioned would work and you could make the 4-drawer unit:
    1 - shallow
    2 - deep
    3 - shallow
    4 -shallow
    then your #2 slots should line up horizontally and you will have two shallow drawers underneath.

But, I think that they are different heights.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I love your IKEA kitchen, and I hope your deal goes through!

• mothandbee
    10 years ago

NIce! I love that granite. Right now only Ubatuba is in my price range but I love the black pearl.

• flwrs_n_co
    10 years ago

Congratulations on the full price offer! I hope the deal goes through quickly and without a hitch or hiccup!

• shelayne
    10 years ago

I actually KNOW that the drawers (middle of 3 and bottom of 4) are the same, as I have an IKEA kitchen. The bottom of the four is 11.25" high, as is the middle drawer of the three-drawer stack. The bottom drawer of the three-drawer is 12.5" high.

If you want the hardware to line-up, as well as the horizontal line of the drawers, switching the drawers on the three stack will ALSO accomplish this. It is barely noticeable unless you are really looking for it, but switching the two deep drawers on the three stack would actually be better. You would just have to move the glides.

Did this make sense? The middle drawer of the three IS the same as the bottom of the four. The easiest switch would be on the three stack because the slides wouldn't have to move that much.

If it doesn't bother the new owner (YAY!~ Congratulations!), then I guess I would just leave it, but if you have to "fix" it, either of the above solutions would work. :)

This post was edited by shelayne on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 22:58

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Chin:
    THIS LOOKS AWESOME! You did a great job with the flip. Hope you got that offer that your wanted. It can be very fulfilling to complete a kitchen like this and I hope that the buyers appreciate your design and efforts. Great job :)

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the nice comments! Its been a fun project. It is a difficult kitchen to photo. Here is another one.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shelayne, I never would have guessed that the two big drawers on the three stack are different sizes. That is interesting, but I think I can leave it because there is a lot of interest in the house as it is.

Mothandbee, check around, because our up-grade to black pearl only cost us an extra $144 for the whole kitchen.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shaylene, if you are there still, do you happen to know what hole the glide would go into if I change the three stack?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Chinchette, bumping this thread so Shaylene can see your question. Also any more pictures of your kitchen that may be complete now? I love the lack pearl granite counters with the Ikea Adel White cabinets! Did you have to reinforce the countertops with plywood? I really love the off-white color and look of the Ikea Adel White Cabinets and also want to know if there is not outgassing like I was told?

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have not noticed off-gassing or any smell at all. No, we didn't have to reinforce the countertops. I'll post another thread very soon for the completed kitchen. Thanks for the complement.

• shelayne
    10 years ago

Chin, I just saw your question now. I can't answer right at the moment, but wanted to let you know that I will get back to you as soon as I can take a look-see. :)

• shelayne
    10 years ago

Chin, I just saw your question now. I can't answer right at the moment, but wanted to let you know that I will get back to you as soon as I can take a look-see. :)

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Chinchette for letting me know that you did not notice any outgassing. I need to get over to Ikea to see if I would like these cabinets. In pictures I love the look.

• shelayne
    10 years ago

OK, I just pulled out my instructions for the Rationell deep drawer kit, as we are using the IKEA kitchen cabs for our bathroom remodel. And then I sat on my kitchen floor pulling out the drawers and comparing them.

Anyway, it looks as if --right now-- your middle drawer glide (of the three) is installed via the 12th hole from the bottom. If you look at the four-drawer, the first drawer above the bottom drawer is installed via the 10th hole. That is the change, as your two shallow drawers (just above the bottom of the four) are equal to the bottom drawer of the four-stack (12.5").

Does that make any sense? More simply, you would need to move your guides for the middle drawer down to install that middle drawer at the 10th hole from the bottom, this would make the glides even with the four drawer. Then just flip the two deep drawers.

Did that help?

• shelayne
    10 years ago

OK, I just pulled out my instructions for the Rationell deep drawer kit, as we are using the IKEA kitchen cabs for our bathroom remodel. And then I sat on my kitchen floor pulling out the drawers and comparing them.

Anyway, it looks as if --right now-- your middle drawer glide (of the three) is installed via the 12th hole from the bottom. If you look at the four-drawer, the first drawer above the bottom drawer is installed via the 10th hole. That is the change, as your two shallow drawers (just above the bottom of the four) are equal to the bottom drawer of the four-stack (12.5").

Does that make any sense? More simply, you would need to move your guides for the middle drawer down to install that middle drawer at the 10th hole from the bottom, this would make the glides even with the four drawer. Then just flip the two deep drawers.

Did that help?

• clg7067
    10 years ago

I would not change it. I love the symmetry, and wish I had all those drawers!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! That does make sense, and thanks so much for checking. Don't know why the I.Q test is so much easier for me than the real life cabinets. You know... this is to this as this is to that? I just realized all I needed to do was to see which slot the glides are in on the 4 stack. I am glad to know I can easily change it. My first buyer is not a done deal so I will need to show it some more.

Thanks clg for your vote. I will leave it unless someone protests it that wants the house. Unless...I get insomnia and just have to run over there in the middle of the night with a screw driver and...

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Great job and that kitchen sure will be a thrill for someone who's purchasing a starter home!

• TripHeath
    10 years ago

don't move any drawers.....looks just fine...most people will be thrilled with a new kitchen and not pick at your design.....the black pearl has remained very affordable in my area and looks great on this kitchen

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My first buyer prospect did not take the house, so a few days later we put it on the NMLS. The first day, we got three offers and took the strongest one, which is a bit over asking price. The buyers are totally thrilled with everything in the house. They love the soft-close drawers. I feel really gratified that I could create a kitchen that someone will love to use. I never even finished polishing the SS hood.

I can't imagine any other house in this price range with a 36" SS hood instead of the ubiquitous mircrowave over the oven. I am not sure that I spent much more to get this effect. I knew that the buyers for this house would be young and be likely to have affinity for contemporary. The realtor said they were in tears when they saw the house because it is their dream house. : )
    All along we kept trying to give a really good product for our imaginary buyers and make them happy while staying on budget. We did not stay on budget but everyone got a good deal. I think I could have spent less but I am not sure I would have made as much profit by doing so.

• chicagoerin
    10 years ago

is the hood ikea too? do ikea hoods say "ikea" on them/can you tell they are ikea? I am blown away the the cost of the hoods i have looked at. Also.. should hood be same width as stove or wider?

• Linda
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! And congratulations on the quick sale!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The hood was from Overstock. Wider than the stove is better. At my own home I have a 36" hood over a 36" induction cooktop. I only cook greasy things in the middle.