Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

It prayers for Oklahoma City and surrounding areas

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people affected by the horrific tornados. It truly puts the demo that took place here today in perspective. I am grateful to have dining tables and a utility sink to help us get through when so many have nothing left but the clothes on their backs.

Comments (16)

• flwrs_n_co
    10 years ago

I've been watching and praying all afternoon. One of my sons lives in Shawnee, OK and was spared from yesterday's tornado as it passed north of his home. The Moore tornado is so much worse and the devastation difficult to wrap one's mind around.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't know about it until I got home from work. It is so sad. I am so glad your son is ok. Hugs to you.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't know about it until I got home from work. It is so sad. I am so glad your son is ok. Hugs to you.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I had not heard either. God Bless all of the OC folks - you have endured so much over the years. Sending you positive energy to get you through another disaster.

• Peke
    10 years ago

The same storm has been going over my house for several hours now. Our one window that actually opens is rattling every time the wind blows or lightning strikes. It is pouring right now.

Not that it is really good..... but the only thing good is that OK City almost always gets the tornadoes during daylight hours. You cannot see them at night. That is when they always hit in my area. No sirens where I live either to warn us. Still lots of lightning, wind, and rain.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Do we have any Oklahoma people on this forum? What a disaster.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

My thoughts are with anyone dealing with this tragedy. To all of you in Tornado Alley, stay safe.

The coverage, especially of the elementary school(s) and the first person accounts, is just heartbreaking.

• nutherokie_gw
    10 years ago

On behalf of the OKC/Moore area, thank you sincerely for the prayers and kind wishes. It was south of me, but less than a mile of my brother. His family is fine. But it's heartbreaking to see the many people whose lives have been turned inside out.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Storm finally stopped here in SE Oklahoma. No tornadoes where I live. Poor OK City gets them worse than we do usually. Daylight hours and warmer. Has anyone heard any more about the missing two dozen students? I hope they find them soon.

• flwrs_n_co
    10 years ago

Peke and Nutherokie, I'm so glad you're safe. My heart is breaking as I watch the coverage and hear the reports from those who lived through it.

Peke, that must be so scary to live where they don't have the sirens. Do you have one of those weather radios that can warn you when severe weather is headed to your area (I think they warn by county)?

Holly-Kay, thank you for the hug! I wish my son could move back to CO, but he has a great job at a wonderful engineering company in OK and has made many good friends. But I can't help worrying when it's spring and these storms start brewing.

• AnnaA
    10 years ago

Glad to hear people chiming in tonight safe and sound - Peke and Nutherokie - yet your past few days sound so terrifying. A local friend there who worked in Moore for many years had debri from Moore shower their property. On pins and needles re friends, as many here are the same I imagine.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Last year we didn't have much spring rain. This year it looks like we will have a lot. At last report nine children died in the school. Many more are injured. It stormed all night...off and on during the search in Moore.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Prayers for all, and hope. This is not a good thing for our land, but I'm in for whatever I can do to help.
    Suzi

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

My heart goes out to all the parents, spouses, and children of those who lost their lives, and also to all those who have lost their homes and possessions. It's wonderful to hear from our GW members who are safe.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So glad to hear our GW'ers are safe. I am hoping to get some batteries and flashlights to Oklahoma through our church.

I am so heartbroken for all the families affected especially the ones who lost their children.

Peke and Okie, you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Schools are not really designed for tornadoes. I never understood why they do not plan for tornadoes when they design schools. They have us take the children in the halls, sit on knees, put head on floor, and cover heads. Some get to go to the restrooms and sit the same way. Have you ever seen or smelled an elementary school's bathroom?

Maybe that is something we could do. Talk to legislatures about making schools safer in design. Redo front door areas so people cannot get in just because they want to. We all think we should be able to walk into "our" schools, but times have changed. People do crazy things now.

Then build a saferoom in every classroom. More and more other states are getting tornadoes, not just tornado alley. We saw more in other states last year than we had in ok last year.

I just hate to see the children at risk. Peke