Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Do I have any alternatives?

nyrgirl35
9 years ago

So as the price of my cabinets have went higher then I had planned, I may have to make cut backs other places. I am still waiting for a quote from my contractor but I just want to be prepared for the disappointment incase.
3 things that will make the GC price higher is
1. Running plumbing for a prep sink
2. Running electric for a 220v speed oven
3. Running vent for external exhaust (I currently have recirculating)

So as far as prep sink I think it's pretty cut and dry either I have or don't no alternative. 220v speed oven? My alternative get a 120v speed oven or not worth the price? Should I just get a micro/convection combo? I don't use the MW that often but still use it occasionally, it will mostly be used for heating frozen foods or small quick meals that I don't want to heat the 36" range for!
I was going to run a external exhaust since I'm getting a 36" range, do I definitely need the external exhaust with a 36" range now? It's the electrolux icon.
Also how would you rank these 3 as important to you. 1st being the most important.
Thanks!

Comments (10)

• plllog
    9 years ago

I'd say do the infrastructure now while you have everything open, and spend the most on function. Scrimp on finishes, especially ones that can be updated later.

• User
    9 years ago

Cut back to a 30'' range. Something like the gas GE Cafe double oven range. Then you can nix the 2nd oven all together. There are big reasons why most apartments in NYC have gas ranges. And the biggest is that a lot of older buildings simply don't have the electrical infrastructure as a whole to handle the demands of a modern electrical kitchen. Have you actually gotten approval for the external venting? Not that that's not important, but that approval is extremely difficult to obtain. Just be sure that yo're not putting the cart efore tbe horse on these details.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

3,1,2. Also likely order of cost with 2 being highest but all three have a lot "it depends"
    Alternate, a good toaster oven.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't think I needed approval for the external venting? I did consider the 30" double oven but I really wanted a 36" stovetop I got all 6 burners. Being that I didn't get a griddle or grill can I get away with a recirculating vent?

My home does have enough room on the box for the extra voltage for speed oven but I figured running the wires will still be up there in cost.

Right now I have a good toaster oven but with the reno was hoping not to have a toaster and MW on counter :(

• gothaml
    9 years ago

How many brands of cabinets did you price?

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A lot and I'm not going high end, mid range I am waiting for one more price to come in now and make my final decision.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I live in Manhattan in a prewar coop. We are ok with allowing people to vent externally. Other buildings don't allow it, so check on this first. I think a real vent is important regardless of the size of your range or whether you have a grill. If you can do it, you absolutely should. The size of the range is irrelevant to the question of whether you need an external vent. We had a recirculating OTR vent before with our 30â range. Useless.

Regarding the 220 line, I would do it before plumbing for the prep sink unless you have a large kitchen that really cries out for the second sink. Plenty of people are fine with one sink. But having a full-powered second oven is pretty important in my view, especially with a 36" range. I don't care for the double oven ranges and would avoid them if possible. So, unless the vent uses up your whole budget, run the 220 line.

I have an exterior-vented 36" range, a 220 line for my undercounter speed oven and one large single bowl sink. I am very happy with these choices.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Nycbluedevil!! I live in a private home does that make a difference for needing approval to vent externally, I never heard of this before and my GC didn't mention anything? Also the vent will be in the front of my house I'm worrying about it being an eye sore!
    Which speed oven do you have?

This post was edited by nyrgirl35 on Fri, May 23, 14 at 22:12

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I don't know the answer to the approval requirement question I have the Miele Chef speed oven. I like knobs and don't care for pre-programming, so I opted not to get the Master Chef.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks I was considering the same one for same reasons!