Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark stained cabinets and white pulls: 1880s or 1980s?

Posted by chesters_house (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 19:37

I'm beginning to settle on details with a kitchen renovation -- a house built in the 1880s, with the kitchen in an addition put on around 1900-1910. I know I want stained cabinets, fairly dark so it will contrast with the woodwork.

Something like this:
 photo doors.jpg

Or this stain on oak:
 photo Hazelnut-QSRO.jpg

Ever since I missed out on vintage versions of this, I've been thinking about white pulls. A reproduction:

photo depression-era-glass-bin-pull-milk-glass-w-brass-plate-screw-256px-256px.jpg

While I've seen a lot of white cabinets with black/ORB hardware, dark cabinets seems to get hardware that blends. Except in "before" pictures of 1980s country kitchens. What is it about this combination that seems wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark stained cabinets and white pulls: 1880s or 1980s?

Perhaps it's just that we have no color photos of kitchens from that era! I think it would be stunning, I love milk glass and don't think it would look 1980's on a darker mission-stained oak.

1980's is all honey, honey, honey orange oak with white -- plus the 1980's white handles are ceramic and have little duckies with scarves painted on them.

Gorgeous bin pull -- where's it from?

o

It's from Crown City Hardware -- and not as nasty as I thought the price would be. I have porcelain lights with milk glass shades, so maybe it will all work.

Here is a link that might be useful: pulls

o

Well, I think it's a stunning combination, and so much more interesting than the usual polished nickel or oil-rubbed bronze reproductions people are using these days.

I can relate to the anguish of losing out on vintage pieces; I just lost out on the only auction I've seen with my exact 1910 bin pulls, doh! (Mine have the craftsman striped copper flash finish, which is really hard to find.)

o

Is this the sort of bin pull you're looking for?

With your caution about unusual bits of hardware that someone else snaps up, I went ahead with some porcelain pulls before someone else snagged them.

I should add that the main counters (the kitchen will be partially free standing) will more than likely be metal - stainless or zinc if we're up for a soldering adventure. If the budget runs out, it will be maple.

Here is a link that might be useful: bin pulls

o

That will be a beautiful kitchen. I love the freestanding concept. Please keep us posted. Do you live in a historical home?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here