Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Anyone willing to measure their Medallion 3 and 4 stack drawers?

Mom23Es
11 years ago

I'm trying to decide which stacks of drawers I should use 3 drawers and which ones I should use 4. Right now every drawer stack in my cabinet plans is set at 3. I think I should get some shallower drawers. I'm just concerned about how much total storage volume I end up losing since medallion cabinets are framed and the extra drawer will eat up space.

Anyway, I would be VERY VERY grateful if anyone would be willing to measure and post their interior drawer heights in 3 and 4 drawer stacks. Pretty please?

Comments (17)

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Mom23E, I have Medallion cabinets that have just been installed and they are beautiful. Will post some pics this weekend of our progress.

Must say that I have no four stacks but here is a bit of sampling of what I have.

I have one 2 Stack for pots, which I highly recommend
    Interior Dimensions are 9 3/4" H x 31"W x 19 1/2"L

For 3 stacks here is a sampling:

3"H x 25"W x 19 1/2" L for cutlery
    6"H x 25W x 19 1/2: L for china
    same as above but 22"W for casseroles/baking pans
    same as above but 19"W for bread basket - storage containers or anything else I come up with!

I have a few more, but all in a similar ballpark.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Good afternoon M23E,

I measured a Schuler (Lowe's version of Medallion) 4-drawer stack this morning.

These are from a 24" wide 4-drawer stack:
    Dr#1 (top) 3 1/8"H x 19"W x 19 1/2" L
    Dr#2 3 7/8"H x 19"W x 19 1/2" L
    Dr#3 3 7/8"H x 19"W x 19 1/2" L
    Dr#4 (bot) 6 1/8"H x 19"W x 19 1/2" L

Note 1: Interior drawer width is 5" less than overall cabinet width.
    Note 2: Height measurement is clearance to cabinet frame, drawer sides are slightly less.

HTH

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

My measurements are about the same.

I find the 4-drawers to be too many, too shallow drawers. They don't hold a heck of a lot. Sadly, I have 3, 4-drawer and 2 3-drawer in my MBR. For clothing? Stupid. No one has that many socks.

In the kitchen, larger utensils can't go into the top drawers.

I wish I had a 2-drawer in the kitchen. At least just one. If I had known, and if it were an option, the cabinets I did purchase with skinny little top drawers, I would have ordered deeper. The ones I made? I'm lucky to have drawers at all, but they are deeper. [LOL]

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much!!! I had no idea 2 drawer stacks were available. I'll have to see about those. It's so frustrating to learn just how much space is lost from the frames, but medallion is the best option from our builder and they don't have a frameless line. Ugh. Oh well. We'll have plenty of storage, and I'm trying not to be so picky that I end up disappointed in the end.

Maybe I should stick with all 3 drawers? And maybe a 2 drawer?

Thank you so much for your help! It really helps me understand my drawer options better. :) you all are awesome!

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Also with Schuler/Medallion, they offer a 3-drawer stack with a "deep drawer" option.

The bottom drawer with that option is the same height as a 2-drawer, so they'd line up if side-by-side.

Sorry, I don't know the exact dimensions for those drawers, as I've only seen them in the KD's spec book.

• lac1
    11 years ago

Did you make a decision on your 3 or 4 drawer stack? Im making the same decision with Medallion cabs and have been watching for your responses. Im thinking 3 drawers will be more useful in the long run. Are you the poster who is using the divinity as well?

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

lac1, we have divinity finish in our kitchen. Do you have any particular questions about it? It is quite extraordinary -- Medallion painted finishes are some of the best out there.

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

I wish I had a 4 drawer stack. I have 4 3 drawer stacks and I wish that one of them was a 4 drawer stack. The 3 drawer stacks are great for something shallow and then two deeper drawers for pots, mixing bowls, etc but I do wish I had one more shallower stack for placemats, etc

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Just for the sake of comparison...DH & I are building our own cabs. We're using a hybrid frameless style. The drawers in the 4 drawer stack are 4, 6, 6, and 6 inches deep, interior depth. Using side mount slides and applied bottoms, 1/2'' plywood, glued & stapled. There is a 3/4'' spreader rail between each drawer.

In the 3 drawer stack, interior drawer depths are 4, 10 and 10 inches.

I've been amazed at what all will fit in the 6" deep drawers.

Initially, I thought I wanted only one four drawer stack. After bldg. one 4-drawer bank & two 3-drawer banks, the remaining bank is going to be another 4 drawer one.

All the drawers are 30'' plus wide & 26'' deep. (Will have 30'' depth counters.)

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We made a special trip to lowes just to see the drawers, and of course they only had one tiny display of Schuler cabinets. At least I got to see the stack of three drawers. Our current house has one 4 drawer stack, so I'm going to guess that the medallion ones will be similar. I think we're going to stick with all 3 drawer stacks, but I'm going to request a stack with the "deep drawer" option. My smaller width drawers that I plan on storing smaller items inside of will be so narrow on the inside that I think I will prefer the extra depth. Plus, I can always buy aftermarket drawer organizers to help. I think i will have enough top drawers for most of my smaller items. The only thing I cant figure out yet is storing my spices. I hope to come up with an upper cabinet solution for that. Fingers crossed that I'm making the right decision.

We have decided to go with the brighter white- white icing. It's frustrating that the brighter white will cost us a bunch more than the creamier divinity white. We have to "upgrade" in medallion's cabinet line to get the white icing, and honestly I don't think we're getting much more in the way of cabinet features/quality for our money. Just the color we really want.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Mom23E, regarding your spices -- Breezygirl has a great solution -- using a shallow drawer near the cooktop. She has all tin jars with lear tops and labels; it looks wonderful, everything at your fingertips! I loved it soo much, I included in my kitchen (thank u Breezy!)

I've included her kitchen post here, if you scroll down to the second tier of photos you will see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breezy's kitchen

• lac1
    11 years ago

Clarygrace- not to hijak, but I love your cabinets! Ive been watching your progress. In fact, I love how you mixed your finishes. We have an L shaped kitchen and I was contemplating putting stained wood on the other wall. My only fear is my kitchen is not huge, and I wasn't sure if it would look right to mix it up.

Mom23E I would love to do the spices in a drawer as well. I was thinking I'd stick with the 3 drawer as well. We were between the white choc and the divinity.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Clarygrace- if you do organize your spices like breezy did, which of your drawers would you put them in? My problem is that the specific stack of drawers where I would like to store my spices is a 3 stack. I want the shallower top drawer for cooking utensils and the deeper bottom drawer for bowls and pots. The middle drawer of a 3 stack seems awfully deep for spices. Or is it the right height?

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Mom23E, you would want the shallow drawer for spices. Do you have another shallow drawer nearby for utensils or spices? Our utensil drawers are right below where the cooktop will be. The cabinet to the right that we designed (24", I believe), has two shallow drawers and a pullout for oils/vinegars etc. What's the configuration of cabinets on each side of your range or if you are doing a cooktop, what is that configuration?

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

clarygrace- Here's the current configuration of my cabinets on the ovens/rangetop wall. The only change I've decided on for sure is to eliminate that 12" tray pull out next to the ovens and simply make the drawer stack wider. It will throw off the symmetry a bit, but no one will ever notice because we have a giant island blocking the view of the base cabinets. Those drawer stacks are only 21" wide, so by eliminating the tray pull out I'll get one stack of 33" wide drawers.

{{!gwi}}

My plan is to make the space to the right of the rangetop my baking zone. Keep flours, sugars, and such in the upper cabinets and my rolling pins, cookie cutters, sprinkles, and such in the drawers. The drawers to the left of my rangetop will hold cooking utensils in the top drawer and bowls/pots in the bottom drawer... not sure what's going in the middle yet. Oven mitts and trivets?

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with all those upper cabinets. Besides some oils, vinegars, and specialty salts, I have no idea what to keep in the upper cabinet between my ovens and rangetop. I'm hoping for spice storage inspiration for there. I wish I could do a rack on the inside of the door, but the catalog I saw only had spice racks on smaller sized cabinets.

Sigh. This all circles back to my original post about not knowing if I should get any 4 drawer stacks. :headtable:

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

M23E,
    The thread below includes pics of spice drawers using the specialty tins.

Also includes the drawer dimensions in use, the part # of the tins used, the # of tins that fit in the drawer, & links to the site where the tins can be purchased!

Lots of good info there. HTH

tmy

Here is a link that might be useful: Badgergal's spice drawer thread

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

OK, now I see your dilemma. My Mom uses an upper cabinet for her spices and she has three tiered shelves that hold the spice jars. It works well visually, you can see what you are looking for, just in a different way than in a drawer. Here is an example of a tiered shelving unit. Mom doesn't use tins, she keeps the spices in the original bottles, tins.

Here is a link that might be useful: tiered spice shelves

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals