Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarnator_gw

Help! Cabinets are too yellow - is there a save?

tarnator
13 years ago

My cabinets just went in - they are supposed to be off white. But my first impression when I walked in was "oh wow. Those are sooo creamy yellow!"

I don't know what to do about it! They don't work with my paint or the other cabinets. Granted the counter and backsplash are not in yet, but I don't know that it will help that much.

Is there any kind of wash or glaze that would whiten them up a bit?

Comments (21)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

I would try to not have anything snow white in the room, which would fool the eye into believing that the cabinets were whiter than they are. Perhaps at the moment there is a whiter reference point in the kitchen, like primed walls, etc. If you get rid of it, the cabinets will read whiter.
    Casey

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

The type of lightbulb you're using can have a big effect on he perception of white color. Experiment with a few types of bulbs! It could well be that you saw the display cabinets under fluorescent lighting?

• positano
    13 years ago

The exact same thing happened to me when my creamy cabinets were installed. I freaked out and posted here for help. I posted pictures and everyone thought they were great, it was the white primer and old white appliances that were throwing it all off. As soon as the new appliances, floor and paint went in all was good.

Hang in there and see the big picture. Post a picture, its amazing what others can see!

• tarnator
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok.
    Thanks, everyone. I will try to relax. Deep breaths... :)

I did take some pics but they are way too dark to see anything properly, so I will try again. I may need to revisit the counter and tile colours that we chose.

It is certainly worth playing with different light bulbs!
    Now that you point it out, I was able to dramatically change the perceived colour of my present cabinets with some 'pure white' light bulbs, so I might need to do the same thing here.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Lighting has a lot to do with white. When I picked my cabinets from a showroom they looked like an off white. In my house they became a very bright white. See what happens. A friend of mine has a butter yellow kitchen that looks great. I think the trick is now to coordinate your backsplash and counter with how it is reflecting in your kitchen. Someone here posted a while ago that her cabinets looked pink.I think she changed her wall paint and lighting.

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I feel your pain.....
    My off-white cabinets have pink undertones, big-time. I tried 3 different paint colors and chose white lights vice warmer bulbs. These things helped but the real success came from painting the white trim and white ceiling a creme that is very close to the cabinet color.
    A cool green color on the walls canceled out the pink. A blue wall color should offset your yellow, (think about lipstick, reds with blue undertones make teeth appear whiter right?).
    The good news is, you can make it work! I can't find my mellow-dramatic post about my kitchen being a disaster because of my pink cabs but here is the one where I unveiled the success achieved by changing the surrounding, influencing colors.
    Best of luck to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: My not-pink kitchen

• aiallega
    13 years ago

I had the same problem with my off-white cabinets. What really helped was changing the light bulbs, even the recessed lights, to Reveal bulbs. They give a true white light and have made all the difference in the world. They're a little different looking when off because they are a purple-blue color. Give them a try- I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

Amy

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

Didn't know if you really wanted this thread brought up, rookie, but here it is. Maybe it will be helpful in this particular case.

Here is a link that might be useful: rookie's

• tarnator
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome!
    Read through rookie's posts....beautiful kitchen BTW. I don't see any pink at all since you have gone with the green walls!

I am already feeling more relaxed, thanks to all of you! :)

But I have already sent a panicky email to our designer. I wonder what she will say - I have already done a panic about our master bedroom colour! She must think that I am nuts....

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Too funny! We must all go through similar stages of panic when we put together a kitchen. I had a total freak out about our cabinet color too and almost had our builder take them all back and repaint them. Our white cabinets had undertones of grey, and they just looked dingy to me. Anyway, I got over it. In the kitchen, they look great, but I still think in our guest bathroom, next to the white of our carrara, the cabinets still look grey. Oh well. It's fine. I also had a panic about the paint color in our house, but that was bc they painted the entire house the wrong color. So, I was kind of nervous about anything relating to color in the house. Good luck. I'm sure it looks great. Personally, I'd prefer too yellow to too grey!

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

I'm really interested in the responses as I'm having a similar problem with the "mocha creme" cabinets in my bathroom. Way more creme than mocha. First I thought I'd change the paint to a warmer color. It's a very cool blue right now and I thought a warmer yellow green might help blend the cabinet in more. Once that plan fails, I am thinking of replacing the countertop, which I don't like anyway, to something that might tie the cabinet and the tiles together a bit better. I'm just not sure how long it will take to get DH on-board with that. He's balking at the idea of painting again so soon.

Totally Confused

• tarnator
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My designer just reassured me that that cabinets look awesome. She really likes the colour. So I relaxed a bit....then I took hubbie over tonight to see them.

His reaction was "wow, they sure are yellow - I thought that maybe you were overreacting"

I am sure that if we really did do some repainting, it might actually work - but the hard part is that we really like the wall colours! (BM revere pewter and pashmina)

So I am still a bit unresolved here.

Totally Confused....I am feeling your pain, i think my walls have a hint of blue, so it is probably working against us.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

DO NOTHING! Wait until the rest of the stuff is in place.

Color is RELATIVE to its surroundings ... the cabinets look yellowish now, but as soon as you put in something with a bit more yellow - like the countertop and backsplash - they will look less yellow.

If necessary, after everything is in and you have lived with it a while, change the paint color.

I selected a pale taupe (no hint of pink) for repainting a green bathroom ... the first wall looked disgustingly 1950s pink-beige because with the green still visible, that's what my eyes perceived. When all the green was covered up, it looked like the color I had selected.

If I had abandoned the first color and tried to find the "right" color before the green was gone, I would have bought a lot of paint.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I 2nd lazygardens. Wait and see.
    I remember when Postiano posted about her cabinets and
    hers were not too yellow.

Seeing everything together really makes a huge difference.
    ~boxerpups

• tarnator
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok,
    Thanks guys!
    Was able to swing by and see the cabinets in the light of day today......not that bad at all.....HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF!

They are still creamy, in fact the box is labelled 'milky white' - so I guess that is actually what they are! However, the in daylight they look a ton better.

Once the rest of my lighting is in, I am sure that all will be well. Now instead of the colour I can focus on some of the screw ups in the cabinet placement! :)

• tarnator
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Positano!
    OMG - I swear to god your 'before' is my kitchen!
    Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!
    The 'after' looks amazing. If mine looks 1/2 as good I am going to be doing a super happy dance. Do you have any more pics of it? It looks beautiful. What are your counters?

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Postiano,
    Your kitchen is gorgeous!!!
    You might remember I tried to copy your floor color.
    Your kitchen has been my inspiration.
    A fan,
    ~boxerpups

• positano
    13 years ago

Aww, thanks for the nice comments! Tarnator if you click on the bottom right corner of my after picture where it says kitchen april 2010 you can see many more photos....probably too many! I'm glad this makes you feel better. I remember sitting in the kitchen the first night they were installed ready to cry and thinking about how wrong I got the color. I really thought we would have to repaint them. Now I don't even give it a second thought. The color of my cabs is very close match to Benjamin Moore Linen White and the trim color is BM Mayonnaise. The counter top is Costa Esmeralda, very neutral gray green that really goes with everything. The paint on the walls in BM Crown Point Sand.Good luck with all of the installation and be sure to post pictures!

Boxerpups- I do remember you asking about the floors. I love your kitchen too, your virginia mist granite is gorgeous. You have always been so wonderful with all the photos you share......thank you. So helpful and great eye candy!

• Dama2g
    12 years ago

I hope it�s not too late to seek help on this post! I am very new to posting on gardenweb but go on the site very often to read feedback, look at pictures of projects and get inspired. This is truly one of the best places on the internet to get 'real' ideas.
    I recently remodeled my old, dingy kitchen. I handpicked every singe item and am very pleased with my contractors work. My issue now is that I think I chose the wrong color for my walls. Totally my fault. My cabs are off-white but lean towards beige, I did a white subway tile with black accents and black granite. I went with BM Weston Flax paint for the walls � which I thought would be a light/bright beige and what it turned out to be was a sunny yellow. Now, my cabinets look yellow also � which is NOT the look I was going for. I am in dire need of a new paint color which will tie the room together. Please help! My contractor is probably going to kill me being that today is the last day on the job. I need to 100% LOVE this kitchen because as you know, it�s a huge investment. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Dama2g
    12 years ago

I hope it's not too late to seek help on this post! I am very new to posting on GardenWeb but go on the site very often to read feedback, look at pictures of projects and get inspired. This is truly one of the best places on the internet to get "real" ideas.
    I recently (finally) remodeled my old, dingy kitchen. I am very pleased with my contractors work. My issue now is that I think I chose the wrong color for my walls. Totally my fault. My cabs are off-white but lean towards beige, I did a white subway tile with black accents and black granite. I went with BM Weston Flax paint for the walls - which looked to be a light/bright beige and what it turned out to be was a sunny yellow. Now, my cabinets look yellow also - which is NOT the look I was going for. I am in desperate need of a new paint color for the walls which will tie the room together. Please help! My contractor is probably going to kill me being that today is the last day on the job.
    Below are pictures of my kitchen from last night. The lighting is definitely an issue, I know - plus its dark out so there isn't any natural light flowing in.
    Any advice on new paint option would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!