Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunt7191_gw

Backsplash vote please : ) photo

hunt7191
9 years ago

Trying to decide on BS before counters are installed because it seems all of the tile that I have found have a 5 week lead time. White Cabinets, counters calacatta (big slab with movement is what I want to do on island and slabs with less movement on perimeter.) The little white slab sample under the tile is mystery white quartzite just to give you a color idea. FYI- that big spot in mystery white was my soy sauce test that failed miserably. Wall color you can see is light tan on the buttery side. Tiles are all crackle, shape will just be subway but one of the colors just had fancy shape as a sample. Thanks a million!!!

This post was edited by hunt7191 on Wed, May 21, 14 at 20:17

Comments (14)

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I cant really vote...those are the tiniest photos, when I try to enlarge they get too pixelated. Any chance you have slightly larger pictures?

What color floors and appliances?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

OOTM, if you click on the photos once, they look okay.

hunt7191, I love your colors. They are exactly what I would choose. Your slab is divine. Wall color is perfection. I think I would choose the middle tile in the first photo. It seems to pick up the gray in your slab. It's contrast but not too much. Seriously beautiful slab and fabulous color palette.

Edited to add: I just saw another post of yours that discussed different perimeter counters. I had thought you were using the marble throughout. If you have something darker on the perimeter, or a different shade, I might have to change my vote from the gray tile to something else.

This post was edited by linelle on Wed, May 21, 14 at 19:59

• hunt7191
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi OOTM, sorry, I'm a first time photo user and opened flikr so I could use this site lol. My appliances are all stainless including hood except paneled fridge. Floors are a dark wood.

Linelle, thanks for the kind words. I just don't think I can do the perimeter different after all. I'm really just going to try for bland calacutta on the perimeter to not compete with island. I have not secured this slab but have seen several like it. I told the tile guy about my paint color and of course his response is to pick the tile you like and repaint to whatever matches. That doesn't work when your entire home is painted in the same color and all of your furniture, rugs etc are also in the same warm tones. I love grey but I can't do a lot of it because of the coolness. I thought that second tile that you had mentioned (it actually has a greenish undertone called pumice from waterworks) isn't too cool and may work. Thanks for your input!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

I like the gray one on the bottom right when it's stacked on the cabinet in front of the slab. Gorgeous slab, I hope you get one just like it!

I think the gray will look good as it will pull out the gray in the slab while the wall colour will relate to the gold tones in the slab. Very nice!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

If you use a bland perimeter without all that color and movement, I think the marble may be fairly white. The non-gray tiles may look too yellow. I would go with something a bit more off white or white. Your tiles look great next to the island slab, but that is not where the tile is going to be. The tile is going to be adjacent to the perimeter slabs.

I do like the gray though for the perimeter especially if your slabs turn out to be fairly monochromatic/white.

Love your island slab. It's a very beautiful slab!

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Hmmm, I like the creamier bottom tile in first picture with your cab and wall, but I like the contrast provided by the gray in the pict with the slab. And of course you cant really trust colors on monitors most of the time...but if I had to pick, I think I'd go creamier, the one just a shade lighter than your wall color. I do love the combinations of the wall color cabs and that gorgeous slab!

And thanks for the bigger pictures. You're ahead of me, I still add them one at a time...something I must solve before my final reveal!

• hunt7191
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your detailed input. I haven't seen many kitchens with Calacatta on all counter surfaces so it's been kind of difficult to visualize. It truly is amazing how creamy tiles turn pink or yellow against my walls!!

• crl_
    9 years ago

In the picture against the slab, I like the bottom right tile.

• romy718
    9 years ago

If you choose the grey, you should be fine with your unchosen perimeters. If you choose a white/cream, you should wait until you actually choose your slab as whites can be tricky to match. You may even want to wait until they are installed, in your lighting.
    The Calacatta is gorgeous.

• amh615
    9 years ago

I definitely think the grey/tan/taupe subway tile goes best because there is better contrast. The creamy yellow doesn't go as well with the cabinets.

• mark_rachel
    9 years ago

I like the darker of the 3 subways.

• kcorn
    9 years ago

Gorgeous selections - I don't think you can go wrong with any of those tiles with the cabinets and counters.

My favorite is the unique shape tile. I think that will look unique and gorgeous!

If you go for just the straight subway/rectangular shape, I am a fan of the middle one in the first picture, I believe it's the same as the bottom right tile in the bottom picture. (more gray than cream?)

Good luck!

• hunt7191
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys rock. Who needs a kitchen designer when you have 20 online!!

• blackchamois
    9 years ago

I too like the gray one in the lower right. BTW - what is the brand and color?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!