Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

What are your drawer sizes?

numbersjunkie
13 years ago

So I am finally at the stage where I am trying to plan what will go where in my new kitchen, so that I can make any changes necessary before we order. I am getting Brookhaven, and was told that there are only 2 drawer sizes - one has 3-1/2 inches height clearance and the other has 10-1/2 inches.

So a 3 drawer stack has 1 small and 2 large, a 4 drawer stack has 3 small and 1 large, and a 5 drawer stack has 5 small.

My current kitchen has drawers with 5" height clearance and they are very useful. There are quite a few places where I think I could use a little more height than 3-1/2 inches, but 10-1/2 seems like a waste.

What drawer sizes do you have, and do think it would be worth asking about getting custom sizing?

Comments (6)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I don't think the 10.5 would be a waste - good for mixing bowels, pots/pans, cake pans, cookie sheets (maybe) with a divider in it, etc.

I do think the 3.5 would be limited tho... the 5" sounds like it'd be good for a lot of things! if they'll do a few custom and you can afford it, I'd do a bank or 2 with a few 5" drawers at least!

have you looked at buehl's drawers? (not to get personal here...). She's posted them before.

i couldn't get the link to work but she posted this some time back - note she has a few at 4" something...

* d by buehl (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 7:43

* Cabinet Line: Omega Dynasty

* Face Frame: 1-1/2"

* Drawer box wall thickness: 5/8"

* Interior Depth of drawer box (front-to-back): 19-3/4"

* Approx interior width of any drawer box = cabinet width" - 4-1/2"

* Drawer Heights/Depths (interior drawer bottom-to-stile b/w drawers):

o 3-drawer stack:

• Drawer 1 (Top) = 3-1/4"
    • Drawer 2 = 8-1/4"
    • Drawer 3 = 8-1/4"

o 4-drawer stack:

• Drawer 1 (Top) = 3-1/4"
    • Drawer 2 = 4-3/8"
    • Drawer 3 = 4-3/8"
    • Drawer 4 = 6"

o Drawer of 'Top Drawer + Doors' Cabinet = 3-1/4"

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Deep drawers are great! I think you would be very happy with them for things like pots and pans, a salad spinner, blender, etc. The ruler in these pics give a sense of the height of the drawer side; the usable depth is higher (they're about 10.5). We also use a deep, wide drawer for all the Tupperware.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The link below has some great pictures of really nicely organized drawers. These are the pictures I WISH I had seen pre-reno, but didn't... so I'm sharing them with friends who are at the early stages.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of drawer organizers

• gizmonike
    13 years ago

We have mostly 3 drawer stacks: 3 3/4", 9", 11" deep.
    One 5 drawer stack, about 4" each.

The 3 3/4" depth is perfect for cutlery, tools, spice jars (ours are 3" tall and stand upright), mats, potholders. I like towels & napkins in deeper drawers.

I think your 10 1/2" is good. I've had to move some things to our bottom drawers because they are too tall for our 9" middle. Make sure some of your 3 drawer stacks are wide.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

All of mine are 3 drawer stacks. The top ones, depending on the height of the counter, are 3 1/2 to 5 inches, with about 9" clearance in the bottom 2. I wouldn't change. Having all the top drawers shallow is enough for me, and the deeper drawers are WONderful.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe it won't be a problem. If there is one thing I've learned from lurking here for 6+ months, it's that drawers are the way to go. As my plan stands now, I will have 7 drawer stacks, 1-26, 2-32/33, 2-21, 2-18. I will have no corner cabinets, and the others are either sink bases or trash pullouts. Do you think I should swap one bank of drawers for a regular cabinet? I haven't finished my storage plan yet, but I'm a little worried about all drawers.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

if you are going to have 7 drawer stacks, you will have 7 top shallow drawers - that seems plenty to me. the others can be used for things that don't take up all of the drawer hght if necessary.

I wouldn't want any regular cabs but it's something you'll have to determine according to your storage needs.