Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayerg73_gw

Would this work with a creamy white cabinet?

ayerg73
12 years ago

I've morphed from wanted a wood tone cabinet to a creamy white shaker style cabinet with black soapstone. I still want to work wood tones into the kitchen, but think I need to go with a stone floor...

That being said, I was doing "windows" shopping and came across this hardware from PB.

Do you think it will feel out of place? Any other ideas of how to work some wood tones in the kitchen without going with two tone cabs?

Comments (14)

• adanielo
    12 years ago

Ooh, very interesting! I like it. As far as working in wood tones, though, do you have an island? That would be a prime candidate for a wood/butcher block top. Just curious, why do you need a stone floor? I always think wood is easier to stand on for long periods (prep, etc.) but I have a bad back!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Stained wooden knobs on creamy cabinets is a very classic English look. I love it.

The traditional style is one-tone, somewhat oversized mushroom knobs. But you could certainly shake it up a little.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks...I think they're cool, just wish they had a photo of them on a cabinet.

I am considering the wood floor, but I have two large dogs, two somewhat sloppy sons and lots of extra kiddos in and out all of the time.

We've also had some water damage in our kitchen recently that scares me when it comes to putting wood in the kitchen. I do have a contractor coming in the morning that specializes in wood floors, so he and I are going to chat about it. But, I'm leaning towards tile for now.

I do have an island, but it will house my sink, so my plan was to keep soapstone on it as well.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thought I'd add my updated floorplan for anybody with thoughts to add wood to the kitchen... Many thanks to everybody that helped me change it into what it is today. Suggestions for tweaks in the plan are welcome :)

• April-Lorraine
    12 years ago

Yes. I think they would look good with your other choices.

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

LOVE THEM!!!!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

I've seen this configuration in a number of layouts and I typically say "why put the people at sink and range back to back when you have all that space?" Also...Do you have a minimum of 4 feet between them? I lived with a cramped kitchen but at least we had 4 feet of aisle. Try a mock-up using cardboard boxes and go through a couple scenarios using two people moving between sink and range. And practice opening the range door with another person in the aisle.

Those handles are interesting but they are also heavy in feel and they introduce the wrought iron theme.

Hmmm. Wood...
    A few open wooden shelf uppers? legs on the island? trim o the windows and doors? Stained wood doors? Stained beadboard somewhere? A great antique piece? a freestanding butcher's block? A segment of butcherblock on a countertop...perhaps in reclaimed wood? A curtain rod? a wooden Hoosier cabinet? light fixtures with some wood trim? treenware on display? a Danish modern table set? a chair rail or wainscotting? a plate rail near ceiling? wood trim on pot rack or utensil holder? stools/chairs? picture frames? We put a wood-lined niche over the range instead of a tile backsplash.

I'd consider a wood floor. We have one lab dog and a very busy inside/outside relationship with outdoors. As long as we sweep occasionally, our oak floor will be pretty forgiving and we're not expecting the new floor to stay pristine. We assume we'll put new coats of Ace Hardware waterbased urethane on it occasionally. Much easier on the back and feet than a stone or tile floor.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My reason for having the sink there is that I don't like the idea of having my sink and oven both facing the wall. I want to be able to chat with people sitting in the dining area and/or the bar stools while I work.

One of the thinks I love most about my kitchen is that we have a big, wooded backyard that is home to lots of deer, turkey, etc. I love to be able to look outside while I'm working and watch them... While the sink isn't facing directly out the back door, it will be facing towards the bay window and I can see outside better than if it were next to the range.

I also thought that it would be nice to be able to turn around and drain pasta or something without having to lug it too far.

There's 45" of space between the island and the oven. I'm getting a Berta range, so I think the doors are a little smaller than on some other ranges. Do you think this is going to be a problem?

We have put the boxes out and done our pretend cooking and all seems to work. But, of course, I can't open the range to see if it fits nicely.

As for introducing iron, I haven't picked out any lighting yet, so that gives me a direction to look towards. I think I kind of like that idea.

I like the idea of an antique piece to add some wood. Maybe something beautiful to hang on that wall that separates the two doorways. I need something wonderful anyway - time to hit the antique shops!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Oh ho, an antiquer who decorates with antiques! In that case, your hardware product (above) might work esp well, but the "bin pull" concept is late 19th century, if you want to be pedantic. I like the idea of the black soapstone with black accents on the hardware. A wrought iron and raw wood lighting fixture would be wonderful.

I also second Marcolo's comment about the big, flat, round wooden knobs. That was a big look in the "Early Republic" (previously known as "Early American" but this was corrupted in 20th century so that's the new term for 1st & 2nd quarter 19th century). More so than the sorta-oldish ones above, big round knobs would shout "old fashioned kitchen" and give an accurate look if that's what you want. In fact, these 1820s-40s handles were so ordinary and functional that people trying to upscale their old pieces took them off and put on anachronistic brass handles. I find 'way too many good Andrew Jackson era case pieces with ironic Chippendale hardware on them--you can find the original single knob hole when you look inside drawer. Today knowledgeable collectors prize the pieces with the original round wooden handles.

Either of the wood handle styles would give you a visual counterpoint to the cab paint, but using the hardware set with two varients shown above would relieve the potential "polka dot" effect in a creamy kitchen with a lot of brown handles.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

florantha - you're a wealth of knowledge! But, I'm afraid you give me too much credit. I'm not much of an antiquer - but if I go in this direction, I'd want something really cool to hang on that lone wall at the end of the island. Thanks for giving me some direction.

I was also thinking of a wood and iron fixture. The only one I can find so far is from Murray Feiss (link below) but I think it's going to feel too heavy in the room and not quite what I'm going for.

What do you think of doing the island in a wood tone and all the perimeter cabinets in a creamy white? I swear, my vision for the room morphs a little more each week. Hopefully I finally settle on something that I'm happy with! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Murray Feiss Light

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Any chance there is a little stash of barnwood stored somewhere nearby that you can employ? Perhaps for some open shelving? Or a window valence. Or...too many options.

Ceiling light looks good to me. Or consider...not wood but has a diffuser...

Here is a link that might be useful: I like this to go with med dark wood

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish you could go antiquing with me this week! :) There is a wonderful store in Louisville that I keep hearing about. I'm going to wander around for inspiration. I'm sure I could pick up some barnwood there as I have heard you can get just about anything reclaimed...

Ahh, you brought up the dreaded word. WINDOWS. I have no idea what to do with mine. Currently they have tiny valances over them that look like untamed eyebrows.

What to do with those things? (I'm not a decorator, in case anyone couldn't tell! LOL)

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh florantha - What did you think about the spacing I have allowed in the floorplan for the island? Just wanted to be sure there's plenty of wiggle room...

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

I love all the ideas you and florantha are batting around, so I'm not sure I can add much! Just wanted to chip in that it all sounds lovely. Have you considered brick floors? For some reason I can picture brick going nicely with your other materials.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022