Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Draw pulls instead of Appliance pulls?

Posted by Marion13 (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 19:23

I bought polished chrome pulls for my cabinets. The company does not have matching appliance pulls which I need for my dishwasher which I panelled. The sales women said I should not use the 5 inch pull that they sell because it is not brass. She said if it was made of brass I would be able to use it instead of the appliance pull.

Does anyone have a panelled dishwasher without an appliance pull or a pull thats not made of brass? If so, how is it holding up? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Draw pulls instead of Appliance pulls?

I asked about this in an earlier conversation and it seems that a six inch pull is not hefty enough, even if it is brass, as dishwashers seal tightly. A six inch pull is fine for the trash pull out.

I suspect that the finish is polished chrome but the base metal is probably zinc in the pull you have chosen. Can you find an appliance pull that is close in appearance?

I will be interested in what others have to say on this matter. The appliance pull that matches my hardware was ridiculously expensive. I was frustrated to have to pay so much for it.

o

Dumb question. Does it need to be brass? I had planned to use a 5" pull on mine. It weighs a ton, but I don't know what, exactly, it is made of.

o

Zinc isn't strong enough over time. And you need a larger pull for appliance pulls. If you're doing concealed appliances, overall, your pulls need to match the quality level expectations of that upscale look that you have chosen. And yes, that may mean you spend a lot more on pulls than you originally budgeted for.

o

Thanks holly springs. One of my criteria was that my hardware had to be brass. It was more expensive but I knew brass would wear well. I did get the appliance pull for the dw. I knew it was the right decision though an expensive one.

I wonder why some kitchen designers don't stress that material quality is important if you have a custom dw and/or fridge? Mine didn't mention it at all but I have a manufacturing background.

o

I have 5+" Top Knobs drawer pulls (not brass) on my cabinets and on my Fisher Paykel dishdrawers and 27" subzero fridge with 2 freezer drawers. They were installed in 2005 and I have had no problems.

o

I used a 4" drawer pull on my panelled dishwasher. The pull is made by Forms and Surfaces. The material is polished stainless. It works perfectly fine.

o

Anyone else?? I am looking for polished chrome pulls from Top Knobs and when I finally found one I liked they do not make an appliance pull. I was hoping their 6 inch pull would do the job even though its not brass.

o

Thanks all. I may go for it. I am really the only one that loads and unloads the dishwasher so I think it will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here