Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy8765

Cabinet color choice help

happy8765
9 years ago

I will be ordering my cabinets tomorrow. Please don't mind the floor as that is getting changed too. The island that the doors are leaning on will remain--they are natural maple. The color choicest that I've narrowed down to are either coconut or white. The granite is gaillo ornamental. The door fronts that are pictured are not the ones I'm getting. I just would like some opinions on the colors. Thanks

Comments (14)

• nyrgirl35
    9 years ago

I vote for the left!

• fishymom
    9 years ago

I like the coconut, looks great with the granite and the island!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I also vote for the creamier one on the left. It goes nicely with your maple and giallo.

• happy8765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your responses. I'm kind of leaning towards the coconut too, but I live with all men --hubby and three sons, and they're not too helpful. Very much appreciate your input. I'm thinking of either doing the wood laminate or the tile that looks like wood.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

I vote for the coconut too-looks lovely with your choices. Doesn't it feel good to have one big thing off the decision list?!!

• footballmom
    9 years ago

I vote for the one on the left. A little off topic, but how do you like the bead board on your island? Everyone I have talked to has been advising me to stay away from the V groove bead board as they say it is a pain to clean. I love the look. It is a little cottage with the doors v groove bead board and slight nod to modern with slab front drawers.

• heritagehd07
    9 years ago

Another vote for the color on the left. Make sure you let
    us see the completed end result.

• happy8765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the nods on the color.

Footballmom,

I've had that island since 2005. It is Diamond brand. I bought pretty cheap from a friend of mine when we did a second floor remodel. At the time I didn't research anything. I just wanted something inexpensive as we opened up a wall and i always wanted a kitchen island. It has held up pretty well so I'm keeping it and adding a trash pullout to match it so to so it is longer, and I'm adding the granite to it.

As far as cleaning it, it's really not any more difficult to keep clean than any other cabinet. I can see what they mean about keeping it clean as it does have those grooves. I wouldn't want to do my entire kitchen with it as I think it is too busy, but for the island it's ok. I'm going with the schrock Morgan style door, which is pretty plain so I think it will add a little contrast. I'm also thinking that I might paint the island a darker color - maybe like dark gray blue?

• rjkidwiler
    9 years ago

Yes I like the one on the left too!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Not sure of the flooring choice that may be thrown into the mix, but the island is a light color, and matching that with another light color when there is no dark in the room to ground it will leave things a bit washed out. I like your idea of painting the island a darker color, but again, it will depend on your flooring choice as well as the lighting in the room. Most people don't think about their lighting until it's almost too late! Plan on updating the number and types of fixtures while you have the space torn apart. It's actually some of the best money spent in a remodel!

• happy8765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Live_wire_oak,

Thank you for your suggestions--it's very much appreciated. I was thinking of doing the dark brown tile that looks like wood. I'm not sure if I'll get to painting the cabinets right away, as this has been a huge process. As far as the lighting, do you have any tips? I'm already over budget on the cabinets, so where ever I can cut costs that would be awesome. I was thinking of putting in the lighting cans, what do you think? The install wouldn't cost anything, as a friend will be doing that, but I still have to purchase the materials.

• happy8765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here we go again. I got the quote for schrock &7900. HD is still on me about American woodmark. So confusing. One of the schrock top cabinets is 48x30, which to me, seems like a very heavy cabinet. I told the KD that I think it's too big and she said that I could do 2 24x30. Any thoughts?

BTW, HD came in at $5800 for american woodmark. What should I do grrrr! I put a deposit for the schrock and now I'm second guessing myself.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Left. Looks so much better.

Agree the wood stain is not appealing with the island color as it is.

• happy8765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought I would follow up on my choices. I went with schrock Morgan door in the coconut finish. Now I need to do the lighting and the floor. I did end up spending a little more than anticipated on the cabinets. Hopefully, once the new lighting and floor is in everything will look good.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!