Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enhancing and sealing tile?

Posted by MizLizzie (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 19:20

So, my backsplash will go in next week most likely. Very nervous. My field tile is Rixi. But within it I am using 4 little rows of mosaic accent tile which is made up of red-brown glass and bits of marble. I really want the veins to pop and the marble to darken. Based on all the good archive advice here, I've decided to enhance it piece by piece before it goes up. Tedious, but my tile guy didn't seem to want to do it, and said it would get grease all over the glass tiles.

Whatever. So I am going to just pull up to my workbench and use little brushes or Q-tips to enhance just the marble bits. It's only 10 sq. ft, and less than 35% are stone. So, manageable. My question is, will the 511 seal it at the same time? Or will the tile guy still need to do that?

And is this a crazy idea? The folks at Best Tile were wetting it to show me the look the enhancer would give me, and it really matched my Cambria dead-on when it was wet. Only so-so when dry. I don't care whether it is glossy or not; just want the darkening effect. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enhancing and sealing tile?

Try the 511 on one piece of tile to see if you get the visual effect that you want. Don't be surprised if it is not quite as striking as wetting it with water.

Sealing the marble bits will have no effect on setting the tile. Marble should normally be pre-sealed before installation. But do try to keep the sealant off of the back of the tile as much as possible.

o

Thanks a bunch, OTC. I will do it on newspaper and be super careful. If it helps darken it even a little, it will be worth it to me.

o

Just want to thank Old Time Carpenter and others here for all the good info on tile enhancing. I did mine by hand with a little paint brush, and using DuPont, which was all I could find locally. WOW. I cannot tell you what a difference it made in terms of depth and richness on the natural stone. It was so worth the effort.

Again, this group of folks is invaluable. Time and again, I have been saved from making mistakes or not doing the right thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here