Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penelopejosephine

Marble mosaic backsplash? Photos?

14 years ago

Hello,

We're in the planning stages of our kitchen remodel and trying to put together finishes as our architect is drawing up the plans. We know we would like Pietra Del Cordosso (soapstone) counters with cream cabinets. Our house is a 1923 colonial revival, so I'm wanted something "period appropriate", although we will have modern stainless appliances. The tile for the backsplash has me running back and forth to the tile stores and I am starting to feel like I'm chasing my tail! I have seen many lovely marble subway backsplashes in the finished kitchen blog (thanks for all of the inspiration everyone!). What I haven't seen is marble mosaic backsplash. A local tile store has a beautiful tile that they don't carry any longer that looks slightly smaller than one inch tiles that do not lie "flat" so the light bounces off the marble creating a nice effect. Is there a reason I haven't seen any kitchen backsplashes done this way? Thanks for your help!

Comments (11)

• 14 years ago

I don't think mine are what you're thinking of, since they're smaller (about 5/8") and maybe not the look you're after...But here are my marble mosaic backsplashes:

On the left of this photo (some are polished and some are tumbled, but you don't get that full effect in this picture):

Here you can see that section from farther away, as well as the burgundy sections:

I thought I had some closeups of the completed, but here is the burgundy tile before it was grouted, so you can see the effect I think you were talking about:

• 14 years ago

Not sure if this is along the lines of what you're describing...I used carrera mini bricks mosaic, but carrera slab above my range...

• 14 years ago

Wow, these are beautiful.

Marthavila, I love the mini brick marble with the soapstone and can't wait to see your whole kitchen.

• 14 years ago

Thank you for the photos! It really helps seeing what others have done. I'm going to take my husband in to look at the mosaic. I'm guessing it is along the size of rhome410's mosaic (I thought it looked quite a bit smaller than 1" square but that was the only info I could find on the store's site). Seeing marthavila's and janefan's small brick really helps, too! I'm starting to lean this way since I think it will look lovely with the soapstone (as it does in martha's. I also love your brushed nickel faucet with the colors). Thanks!

• 14 years ago

this doesn't sound like the exact tile you are looking for, but we did a marble mosaic just behind our cooktop....so, YES, people do it!!!!

• 14 years ago

janefan... don't mean to hijack, but what is your paint color? On my monitor looks like a taupey gray which is what i think Im leaning toward.

• 14 years ago

rhome410 - can you tell me who your marble tile is made by? Love it. Priscilla

• 14 years ago

Martha, have you ever showed us your whole kitchen, with that red AGA...I am DYING to see! Do you love the AGA? Sorry to hijack, but a few years ago when I first signed up here I would love o read about how the red AGA made your heart sing. I feel the same way and would love one when we finally do ours (if it is as great as one would hope!).

• 14 years ago

remodelfla--the paint color is BM Nantucket Gray...in my kitchen it reads sage-y gray. It's funny, because I originally wanted a taupe/stone, but I love how this color works with my lighting and the white cabs and trim. In some photos it looks way more glaringly green than it actually is. Probably more info than you wanted!

• 14 years ago

Prill, I am not sure the exact manufacturer of the marble tiles I got. They came from United Tile, which is a regional distributor and the sheets I got didn't have a manufacturer's label. I ordered several different colors/stone types which each came on 12" x 12" mesh sheets, then I rearranged them to suit the design I wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: United Tile website's stone mosaic page