Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kacee2002_gw

Help with kitchen layout.

kacee2002
9 years ago

Looking for feedback on very early kitchen plan. We want it open to dining/great room area and some to the back of the house for outdoor use.
In this very early plan........ we might change the entry wall and closet. Making the wall stand alone with access either to the right (great room) or left (kitchen). Shrinking the closet and putting it more next to the front door and turning the counter where the prep sink is into an island. Making a walk way there on the side of the dishwasher. One idea we are kicking around. Our architect is looking at it too with an eye to change.
I really don't think I want the cook top where it is. Seems to visible from the great room area.
Except on holidays and when the kids come over, this will be basically a one cook kitchen. Two of us living here.
Thanks

Comments (4)

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

The cooktop is on a peninsula adjacent to a high traffic area which is not a good position. It also appears the refrigerator is in the middle of a run which is not the best location.

There is no real benefit to the walk in closet as draown in the entry, I would make that a shallower reach in closet and add a bit of width to the kitchen and create an island.

In your other thread there was some discussion on having an entry to the guest bath/powder room in the bedroom as well. I would not do it. It's problematic having two entrances, on private (bedroom) and one public (hallway) into a single bath, because there are two doors to lock and it would be easy to forget to unlock one of them. If the guest bedroom door was locked and the bathroom door in the hall was locked, no one could get into that bathroom. Plus you would be able to get into the guest bedroom through the bathroom if their bedroom door was locked, potentially.

• jill314
    9 years ago

I can't see details very well on the photo. But, do you plan to keep food in the room labeled laundry/mudroom/pantry? Because if so, I'd re-think that. It's pretty far from the kitchen. In a previous house we had a small walk-in pantry (for food) in a corner of the kitchen and I LOVED it. If I were designing a house from scratch, I'd definitely have a good-sized pantry closet right there in the kitchen or very very close to it. Just a thought. :)

• kacee2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ineffablespace
    The smaller closet in he entry and opening up the kitchen and making an island instead of counter with the prep sink is what we are looking at now. Thanks.
    The pantry in the laundry doesn't bother me. I think there will be enough space in the kitchen for most used items.

I'd love more input! I can take it....... ;-)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I agree with the others (and you, kacee) that you can do a lot better than the layout as shown. I'm not crazy about the G shape, and certainly not the cooktop on the peninsula.

My first thought was a U, with an island instead of the lower peninsula. But what do you gain from the peninsula at the top? You don't want seating in the hallway, and coming in from the garage it would be a dumping ground. And if you eliminate the lower peninsula, it would make more sense to adjust outside walls somehow so that lower leg of the kitchen isn't tucked away.

I can't read dimensions either, so it's hard to tell. But I think I would try an L-shape, with an island. The fridge goes on the lower wall, closest to the dining room, then sink and range on the left wall. The cabinets on the fridge wall can be extra deep, so you can use a regular fridge but it will look counter-depth. With an L, you only have one corner to deal with, and the traffic flow from the hall would be better.

Put seating on the island or not - with the dining table right there, you probably don't need it, but you would have room. If the cleanup sink is to toward the bottom, you could do a prep sink at the top end of the island.

I just noticed the flaw in my plan - the big window where you currently show the sink. Hmmm... not a good spot for the fridge any more.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations