Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
show me your tile kitchen counters

Posted by juliekcmo (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 19:11

We will be moving soon, and I will be leaving my beloved kitchen behind. :-(

The new place is pure 1989, and is ready for updating.

It has oak cabinets, and some about to fail appliances, but a nice wood floor and good space.

We will most likely paint out the cabinets a linen white, and do a greenish color on the island cabinets.

It currently has original formica counters that are also on their last leg.

I will put butcher block on the island,where I remove the jenn-air cooktop. I will put in a 30 inch gas range and ducted hood where the combo micro and wall oven is now.

Our current kitchen has porcelain tile counters that have been quite easy to maintain. Due to its great function and low cost, I will probably do tile again. But there aren't a lot of finished kitchen pictures with tile.

So can anyone out there give me some ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: show me your tile kitchen counters

Not porcelain, but we did granite tile counters.

photo kitchen5_edited-1_zps2bde35ce.jpg

photo kitchen3_edited-1_zps70983d39.jpg

o

Thanks Nicole.
Are your edges bullnose granite, or do the tiles come right to the edge against a trim piece?

o

They come right to the edge with another strip of granite under. The edges weren't as polished as the rest of the stone, but I oiled them (when I was oiling the butcherblook peninsula) to darken them up a little so it wasn't as obvious. It's been almost a year, and that one swipe with an oily rag has held up all this time.

o

Nicole your counters are stunning! What a wonderful idea.

o

Thanks, Holly! We did a complete DIY, gut job, moved every major appliance and removed a load bearing wall for under $10k. I love my granite tile and I especially loved that it fit in our budget.

o

Oh my goodness. Your space is so stunning! DH and I are so not DIY. Not because I wouldn't love to be but just no talent at all for us. Your lovely kitchen looks like it cost 5 times your budget. Truly one of the loveliest I've seen. Congratulations on a well planned and executed project.

o

I've always thought granite tile counters are a great idea. Also, I have noted that if you put 18" tiles on the diagonal, it happens to span almost exactly 25-1/2", which is what a typical countertop depth is.

Nicole, beautiful job! I cannot fathom doing a gut remodel on that budget. You are to be commended!

o

There is a pro tiler who is on this forum sometimes, more often in the bathroom forum who has done beautiful granite tile counters. His name is Bill..... last name escapes me now. Maybe someone can help?

Also, consider porcelain tile. Someone here did a fantastic kitchen with 24" porcelain tile. It is WOW.

Consider epoxy grout but learn how to use it first.

o

Deb,
Porcelain is actually my first choice. It's what I have now that I like very much.

The color we have now won't work with the new cabinets, and that's why I'm looking for some pictures for ideas.

I hadn't thought about 24" porcelain. I will check that out.
Thanks

o

Check out this attached thread.

I remembered....its Bill Vincent.

I'm trying to find that porcelain tile kitchen I was referring to. It was a high glass porcelain. The person also put in a butcher block cutting board into the island. I'll keep searching.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on tile counters

o

I found the kitchen I was referring to.

Here is a link that might be useful: large format porcelain tile counter

o

Debra,
Thank you thank you thank you!

That is just beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here