Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flatwater

The cabinets are in! What do you think about the touch of grey?

flatwater
12 years ago

All, at long last, the cabinets are finally in. We decided to go with a touch of grey (rather than white) for the cabinets. Island is dark stain for contrast. What do you think? The plan is for Persa Pearl for the countertops and absolute black for the island.

We have bought stainless steel appliances, but thinking of polished chrome for the faucets just to add a bit of sparkle. Much like jewelery. Would love to have Dornbracht faucets, but too expensive. Any suggestions for faucets and sink is much appreciated.

I am pleased with the appliance garage above the counter and the pull out shelves below at the blind corner. What do you think?

Also the batton strips on the wall, when painted the same color as the wall, and ceiling, sould give some texture to the wall. We where just playing around. What do you think?

Appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thank you so much for all the help directly and indirectly through the many posts on this forum. You guys are simply amazing!

Below are a few pictures of the kitchen from today....

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (40)

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

Love, love, love the grey! Cabinets look great, island is going to be nice and big... I always like grey with wood (light, dark, it all works). Curious -- what are you doing for flooring?

I especially like your pull out -- what is that one for? I can't quite figure out the top portion. Good luck with all!

• melissastar
    12 years ago

LOve the gray. I see you did the Hafele "Peanuty-thing". I've heard they are great. And I'm guessing that tiered pullout is for spices or small bottles (tobasco, etc.)? Very clever.

It's gonna be great!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Absolutely positively LOVE the color! Congrats!

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I love your gray cabinets but then I would, I just put in gray in my own kitchen. But really, your's look great.

Have you looked at the Kohler Karbon kitchen faucets? They might be just the jewelry you need. I have the black and SS and my sink is a 32" SS Ticor.

Nancy

• flatwater
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your feedback.

Oldbat2be: glad you liked the grey. We decided to go with hardwood. Probably a shade darker than the island. The pull out is for spices, seasonings, etc. Cooking oil goes in the bottom.

Melissastar: yes, we decided to go with the pea nutty thing. Seemed like a cool way to use dead space. Will see how the appliance garage works. Seems like a nice way to use the space.

Remodelfla: thank you.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Love the cabinets and the color!

• tceye
    12 years ago

LOVE IT!! Was that a color you chose to have them painted or was it part of the cabinet makers offered finishes. What is it called???

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Fantastic choice.
    I believe Gray is going to be the new white in kitchens.
    Truly Fantastic.
    ~boxer

• Sebby
    12 years ago

Looks really amazing! We are also planning to do grey cabinets. What color did you use?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

So great! My Carrara is so gray that I'm toying with the idea of using gray cabs too instead of white. What color gray are yours? I can't wait to see it with floors and tops. Love the space!

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

gray is good!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Thanks for the color info.

• drdannie
    12 years ago

I LOVE the gray cabinets they look fresh and different. I would have used gray in my remodel, but the kitchen was gray before and I wanted a change. My appliance garage is like yours so glad to hear you like it. I also have the same pull out shelves going in a blind corner cabinet. I don't know what color Persa Pearl is but am wondering if it's a light color if it might not be better on the island (since it's dark) and using the black granite on the permiter counters to contrast with the light gray. Just a thought. I, too am going with polished chrome faucets. Have you looked at Brizo? They have some unusual and not too pricey selections. After considering brushed nickel and/or stainless, decided the polished chrome looks classic and will always be in style. Also love your cabinet hardware. Nice choice. Be sure and post pics when your finished.

• flatwater
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all you wonderful folks on gardenweb.

It is the home stretch for us and we are into faucets and sinks. All our appliances are stainless steel. Was planning to go all stainless steel light pendants and faucets. BUT...

Ended up with polished nickel pendants above the island and sink for a little bling.

Even though I am convinced that Ticor or Kraus are the best value and of comparable quality, we splurged on Julien J7 3932 for main sink.

http://www.julien.ca/en/home_refinements/product/productid/590003932/index.html

and

Julien 033506 for the prep sink on the island..
    http://www.julien.ca/en/home_refinements/product/productid/590033506/index.html

Well it is going down hill from there, I think :)

We bought a Dornbracht Tara Classic Single-Hole Single lever faucet in Chrome for the prep sink to go with the polished nickel pendant..
    http://www.dornbracht.com/en/products/prod_dtl_zoom.htm?id=1206&cid=51&lfnr=1

And now we think we should go with all chrome faucets, and Dornbracht sure looks nice. Below are the links to the faucets that we have picked out. What do you think? Too much chrome? Ofcourse it is more than we ever intended to spend on faucets. It is irrational, I know...but then again, one would argue that ripping apart a perfectly functioning, albeit dated, kitchen to put in a new one is irrational exuberance.

http://www.dornbracht.com/en/products/prod_dtl_zoom.htm?id=3804&cid=335&lfnr=7

http://www.dornbracht.com/en/products/prod_dtl_zoom.htm?id=4634&cid=335&lfnr=4

http://www.dornbracht.com/en/products/prod_dtl_zoom.htm?id=4637&cid=327&lfnr=14

http://www.dornbracht.com/en/products/prod_dtl_zoom.htm?id=3485&cid=327&lfnr=6

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

I really like it, plus those strips you attached to the wall ARE a cool idea. It reminds me of an updated, modern wainscoting. I wonder if absolute black might pop more on the perimeter gray cabs, and the Persa Pearl may stand out more on the dark island. I tend to like contrast, and your design would definitely give an overall contrast, when looking at the entire room, but... I guess I am not entirely sure if the black will look fabulous on the island.
    However, I am sure that whatever you have chosen will be perfect for you, so I am going to be quiet now. :o)
    Oh wait - one more thing - the cabinet pulls are awesome!

• summersucks
    12 years ago

stunning, I adore the grey.

• rosie
    12 years ago

I think I want to be you today. :) It's looking wonderful. The batten strips do seem like a great way to break up the flat.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Lovely--cabs, faucets, island! I like the wide batten because it's so unexpected. Can't wait to see what color you paint it!

Just something to think about: if you put the beautiful Persa on the island, it brings the grey over to the island. And if you put the absolute back on the grey, it bridges the dark of the stained island over to the light cabs. OTOH, I think the Persa will look beautiful on top of your cabs. The black absolute may make your island look darker, but maybe you can balance it with something like a light bowl (saw a big beautiful marble bowl yesterday at PB or C&B or W-S) with fruit in it to lighten it up.

Your reno is looking great! Can't wait to see more pics as you progress!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Not too much chrome at all. I much prefer polished over brushed too. I think it's more timeless and will always look right. Your faucet choices are stunning. And yes, I think you should do both in chrome rather than mix finishes. You've got lots of different elements going on already.

Just hurry up with it all so I can drool over the finished kitchen! ;-)

• flatwater
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our cabinet maker was really good to work with. He made several useful suggestions including the Sharp Microwave drawer. We were skeptical about the drawer, but decided to go with it.

{{!gwi}}

The double stacked organizer for silverware should reduce the clutter

{{!gwi}}

and the pullout for the the spatulas and other big items too...

{{!gwi}}

not to mention the trays and other flat pans...

{{!gwi}}

We debated a lot about a trash compactor and in the end decided that we did not want to compact and keep the trash in the house any longer than is necessary. So went with the double garbage bin...

{{!gwi}}

What do you think?

• flatwater
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Breezygirl, thank you for your feedback. You asked about the appliances that we bought. Below is the list
    SUBZERO PRO48/G REFRIGERATOR
    SUBZERO TWO DRAWER REFRIGERATOR FOR SOFT DRINKS AND BEER
    WOLF DUAL FUEL 48IN RANGE 4 BURNER-DOUBLE GRIDDLE
    SHARP MICROWAVE DRAWER
    ASKO RACK DISHWASHER SS
    SUBZERO 30' WINE COOLER
    VENTAHOOD CWLH9, 48IN, 900 CFM CHIMNEY HOODS
    Flwrs; Adrianne, yes we agonized over whether to have persa pearl on the island and black on the counter. In the end, we decided that we will go for the contrast between the island and the rest of the cabinets.

The practicality of keeping all that black clean over the countertops seemed bit much.

We entertain a lot and the black on the island should present the platters and trays that we use to serve the food very well. Or so we hope!

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

Very NICE!!!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous...Both the gray and the island. Can't wait to see the finished room!

• flatwater
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Many of you have suggested that we should consider swapping the marble; go with absolute black for the counter tops and persa pearl for the island.

We are sold on persa pearl for the countertops. How about if we went persa all the way; for the countertops and the island?

• BlueKitten
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love your choices.

• flatwater
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The refrigerator and wine cooler are in. The SS seems to go well with the grey...what do you think?

{{!gwi}}

I really like the look of the pro48...hopefully, the glass door will not turn out to be a lot of work

{{!gwi}}

Cant wait to see the persa pearl granite top with these cabinets and appliances.

{{!gwi}}

So, what do you think?

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

It looks SWEET! I love it! Cant wait to see that granite installed either... I love the gray cabs. Very soft gray, just noticeable without being too dark. perfection.

• kmmh
    12 years ago

Very pretty! And your cabinet maker did a great job, I love all those different designers on the inside of the cabinets!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

That frig is so hot!

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

I am so glad to see this! I was just wondering if the granite I want with white cabinets would be too boring and drab. Perhaps Nimbus is the answer.
    I think the Persa Pearl granite is beautiful and would be perfeclty stunning in the island. Absolute Black is just that - absolutely black. The Persa Pearl has so much to admire, IMO, making it ideal for an island where all your guests will drool over it.

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Oh yeah!! Stunning. I'm having fridge envy. Wowzer! I know what remodel means by hot, but my wish for you is that it NEVER gets hot ;) Waiting with bated breath to see the rest!

• malhgold
    12 years ago

AHHHHH!!! Serious frig envy....if such a thing can exist!! Love the grey, but then again I'm partial to gray as I have a wall of gray pantry cabinets. Lookin' good!!!

• flatwater
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Celtinne, mahlgold, remodelfla: thank you for your comments on the fridge. We got lucky and found a display model with appropriate discounts; still it was a stretch for us and in the end we decided to lead with our gut than our head! I am happy for it

• hellonasty
    12 years ago

Everything looks amazing so far! Love the grey cabs! And the SS does look great with the grey. Wow, that fridge... I just sighed out loud when I saw it. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen!!

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

WONDERFUL cabinets! So many clever storage ideas. I also love the fridge and the strips you used on the walls. Everything is really looking fantastic - congrats!

• flatwater
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The counter tops were installed today...what do you think? Many of you offered wonderful, thoughtful, comments about whether to go with Persa Pearl on the island or absolute black. We agonized over the decision and in the end decided to go with the black; I think we are pleased with the way it turned out. The extra thickness of the marble for the island looks good i think. The persa on the countertops ofcourse have great movement...in any case, let me know if you like?

{{!gwi}}

another view where you can see the persa on the near counter as well as the far..

{{!gwi}}

a closer look at the persa pearl on the counter

{{!gwi}}

and here is how the corner piece turned out...

{{!gwi}}

So, what do you think?

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Looks great! Love how the corner turned out! Where are your seems on the perimeter? I can't tell!

• flatwater
    Original Author
    12 years ago

brianadarnell: thank you. There is only one seam on the perimeter, which is at the corner. I think they put the seam in (bummer) to minimize the possibility of breakage during transport. If you look closely at the seam, you will note grain structure is continuous across the seam.

{{!gwi}}

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

I have the original version of the Tara classic faucet with Profi sprayer and adore it. 8 y.o. now. I think you will be very pleased with them and they look great in chrome.

My only quibble was with the soap dispenser. I didn't have luck with mine and they were very strict on the 2 year waranty and wouldn't replace it afterwards. At that price let's say I wasn't so happy about that so I'd just check on the current waranty length and be sure to keep the receipt on the original purchase as they actually asked me for that.

Used a Julien sink in our apartment and initially went without a grid which was a mistake. It proved to be a perfect choice for me.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA