Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melkel31

best stainless cleaner?

melkel31
9 years ago

Kitchen is coming along and looking to get a great SS cleaner! :) Any suggestions? I am looking at Weiman and Magic on Amazon. Weiman has a LOT more reviews but I did read from a GW member that she loved Magic... Thought I'd poll everyone to get any new info. thanks!!

Comments (32)

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I use Stainless Steel Magic and just tried Twinkle and they both work great to me. A little dishwashing liquid (Dawn) with water on a Microfiber cloth first. Then buff with a clean microfiber cloth. Sometimes thats enough but I like how it looks with the other products too.

• Evan
    9 years ago

Bar Keepers Friend works great for me. Every SS cleaner I've tried leaves a gross streaky mess

• User
    9 years ago

Pledge in the brown and yellow can. No oil based cleaneers!

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

I like the weiman in the spray can

• crl_
    9 years ago

Damp microfiber cloth keeps my frigidaire stainless range and refrigerator looking quite nice. I'd try that before investing in cleaners.

• granjan
    9 years ago

I agree with microfiber and water. But I use baking soda on the drain around my sink drain/garbage disposal. Gets rid of coffee residue.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

timely thread. Thanks for asking so I did not have to lol1

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Two words : Sheila Shine

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless cleaner/polish

This post was edited by ctycdm on Thu, May 29, 14 at 22:50

• dretutz
    9 years ago

Learned this excellent recipe on GW: Mix 1/2 part rubbing alcohol, 1/2 water and a couple drops of essential oil (I use lavendar) for fragrance and oil is needed.
    Spray on and wipe with micro fiber cloth. I use on Kitchen aid Fridge, bosch DW, Viking cooktop and Gaggeneau wall oven. LOVE it. Appreciate the savings.

• bpollen
    9 years ago

I make a point of trying not to buy specialty cleaners. I'm getting my first SS fridge soon and have been researching on the internet for best way to keep them looking good. Turns out the best products seem to be ordinary things like a bit of vinegar on a microfiber cloth, followed by light coating of mineral oil, then buffed. There are other suggestions on the internet.

I'll also tell you, regarding the suggestion above about Pledge, that that's what the appliance salesman told me he uses. A commercial grade Pledge. He said it also helps prevent fingerprints.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Microfiber cloth, a bit of water on the cloth. Another microfiber cloth to follow behind and buff dry. Generally works better than anything else that I've tried.

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

Unlike the older stainless which was a bear to clean, the new appliances do not need any special products. Water works fine and microfiber or whatever is good. Far fewer chemicals to store under the sink these days.

Bad part about this easy to clean stainless is that it is not magnetic and there is no place to put the grandchildren's pictures. :-)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I tried many many things on an older ss fridge. Fingerprints and smears the worse. Currently using dw40 on a cloth; easy peasy.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Sheila Shine and microfiber cloth, have tried them all, this is "the one". Available on Amazon.

• User
    9 years ago

I am with all the posters who said no specialty cleaner. Other than Bar Keepers Friend which is great for the sink. I tried Weiman's once. It smelled so strong, the smell stayed in my kitchen for 3 days. How am I supposed to eat food in my kitchen when there is a perfumed cleaner smelling up everything.

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

interesting to hear that the newer stainless is easier to take care of. I hope that turns out to be true for me as well. My current fridge is 10-11yrs old but we got a new Bosch d/w about 4 yrs ago and I don't find that one any easier to clean compared to my older fridge. Water on a microfiber does NOT cut it for the fingerprints on mine. Wish it did.

Is this alcohol recipe the same one people use on their granite countertops? Would be nice to be able to use it for both.

My new kitchen is going to be interesting cleaning wise. I've never had solid surface counters of any kind. And my current house also has minimal tile flooring- new house has tile in a lot of places (not the kitchen though).

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i got weimans wipes and they are terrible! my 1 year old lg frig gets very streaky with water as well. i just tried pledge multi surface and it works great on the ge stove but terribly on the lg frig so each manufacturer may be different to clean. good luck!

• crl_
    9 years ago

I have a bosch stainless dishwasher too. Purchased in the last year. Water and a microfiber cloth doesn't work on it. But it does on my frigidaire appliances. So I always suggest trying it first to see. If it works, you've saved yourself money and the possible hassle of a cleaner that just builds up and makes the fingerprint situation worse.

• callie25
    9 years ago

Another vote for microfiber & water (with just a drop of Dawn in the dishwater), then buff with dry microfiber. I've used several of the 'stainless sprays' and Weiman was the best (had problems with some of the others leaving streaks). Pledge also makes a Multi-surface product.

• Evan
    9 years ago

If it's just a few fingerprints or smudges, I have good luck with our homemade mirror cleaner, which is alcohol, distiller water, and vinegar. Wipe with paper towel, then buff with microfiber. If it's really dirty or has been awhile since I cleaned it, this won't cut it. BKF is the only thing that works for me. Also, I disagree that newer SS is easier to clean. Just replaced our dishwasher, and it's just as bad as our 10 year old fridge and range.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Try Howard's Stainless Steel Cleaner. Kid- and pet-safe. Non-toxic and safe for food areas. Not sure that is true with Weimans, which I have tried and dislike (sorry to the people on this thread recommending Weimans, it's just MHO, but I think it's streaky and chemical-ly). I like the Howard's fragrance-free version, but it comes in lemon-lime too. Gets pretty good reviews on Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Howard's Stainless Steel Cleaner

This post was edited by akchicago on Fri, May 30, 14 at 14:25

• LCaroline12
    9 years ago

I also do dw liquid with a bit of water and then buff dry. Mind if I hijack this post and also ask... What are your thoughts about using Mr. Clean dry eraser on ss? I have been using the dry eraser to buff out prints and streaks and my appliances look GREAT! Better than new! But the dry eraser packaging specifically says not to use on ss. So far I don't see a reason why not! Anyone have input on this?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have newer stainless fridge and DW. It not only doesn't get too streaky, but magnets stick. Win/win.

I tried water+Dawn and water+alcohol+lavender oil and the results were bad. My appliance dealer sold me a very expensive s/s spray called Thor. It was $25 for a huge can and I've probably used only 1/4 in 2 years, so I can't complain about the price. My appliance guy (and I have no idea if he's actually a genius or a moron), told me the homemade cleaners stripped out the oils on my particular fridge. Thor put them back. Whatevs. The surface doesn't look or feel oily, but it doesn't get streaky or fingerprint-y. I use handles, so that helps.

After I clean my Caesarstone with water+Dawn, going over them with Pledge wipes gives them a glass-like finish.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

I have used a lot of things but there's something called WOW that I really love. I can't find it at any of my local stores, but I have ordered it on line:

http://www.wowezfinish.com/

It claims to be biodegradable and non-toxic. It seems to have real certifications about it being environmentally friendly. I do not know what it really is, but I swear by the stuff. It works better than anything I have used. But I like the Weimann's second FTIW.

• vpierce
    9 years ago

Another vote for WOW....

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I vote for Sheila Shine. I was having so much trouble cleaning my fridge. I have all kinds of products and none of them worked until someone in this forum recommended Sheila Shine and I rushed down to HD to buy it. Now my refrigerator looks beautiful (haha, I sound like a commercial). It's pricey but you use just a little bit. Oddly, it smells like WD40.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

There are even folks who say use WD40. I tried a number of cleaners and ordered more of the one Wolf and SZ supplied a sample of with their appliances (Signature). What I discovered was that the cleaners and polishes would leave behind a trace film on the stainless -- which may actually add to the smudges, and to clean it, you then have to clean the entire surface to get everything "clean" and smooth again. When you try another cleaner, it may make things worse because you now have different stuff coating the surface -- until you get everything that was on it before off and then you are back to where you started.

A few years ago, a mom at the high school suggested a fundraiser her daughters sports team had done and handed several of us a microfiber cloth. I had tried other microfiber cloths and didn't think they were anything special. This one was even less impressive -- it looked like a pressed paper towel. But I told her I would try it, so I dampened it at home and wiped down my cabinets, then my stainless appliances and windows and mirrors. They didn't take off as a fundraiser, but I was sold. Not only did they clean the stainless, but once I got them really clean, I could wipe off a smug or print without having to do the entire fridge! I bought a bundle, gave them to family members and have used them here for everything. I can even wash a car with a gallon of water and a small bucket during the drought. DH cleans the grill with one. I don't use any cleaners on my stainless now. Just the cloths I have linked below. I'm on my third order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kleanzee microfiber cloths.

• Eric Freedman
    9 years ago

The only thing that I have found that works well on my greasy hood is a citrus based cleaner but in light amounts. But I have not liked using it for anything other than greasy parts of the kitchen.

For the rest I have used Method spray and Weinman wipes with little issue.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

just stumbled upon "superhuman microfiber cleaning mitt" on amazon. 8.99 great reviews! anyone tried it?

• derrickthecrane
    9 years ago

Earth-conscious choice: Method (brand) spray. Available from Target, KeyFood, most other stores I'm sure.

Cheap reliable choice: WD-40. I've been using it to clean machine tools, and I didn't think it would be a good choice for appliances, but the sales reps for both the dishwasher and the range hood (different brands) recommended it. If it's good enough for their showrooms...

Main difference is, WD-40 smells a little like motor oil, while Method has a more subtle fragrance. Personal call, really.

Things I learned form experience (my pain, your gain):

Don't use either Method or WD-40 on fingerprint-resistant steel though (Liebherr fridge), it will streak.

Barkeeper's Friend has oxalic acid, which might cause contact allergy if you're sensitive.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Derrickthecrane - WD-40 is flammable. OMG, do not use it on a stovetop or on a hood. And it's poisonous and should not be used around food. Check out WD-40's label below.

"the sales reps for both the dishwasher and the range hood (different brands) recommended it" What in the heck is wrong with people? There are so many SS cleaners on the market, not to mention non-specialty cleaners that work just as well, but let's spray WD-40 instead? To anyone reading this thread, give a pass on the flammable, poisonous WD-40 in the kitchen, and try any of the cleansers and cleaning methods mentioned on this thread.