Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Off angle view of quartz countertops

Posted by vishg (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 19:07

Hi,

In sunlight, the quartz samples I have lose their luster and show mostly a "white lattice" at certain angles. Has anyone else observed this? I am assuming the phenomena would carry into fully formed quartz countertop too.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Off angle view of quartz countertops

It's normal and is due to the non reflective areas in the surface that consist of the resin matrix. A "glossmeter", which electronically measures the reflectivity of a surface regularly gives a reading in the 50's for any quartz and in the 70's or 80's for a polished natural stone.

A square of a black quartz surface placed next to a black granite will be very noticably less reflective due to the resin in the surface.

o

That is good info to have. If I get quartz I can at least get into it with proper expectations. Thanks. Since you know about these things, may I ask if quartz is indeed as much stronger and non-porous than granite, and maintenance free, as it is touted to be? Or is the reality different?

o

vishg;

quartz surface is indeed "stronger" than most natural stone. However, the term "stronger" is misleading since the countertop user cares little about the mechanical strength of the material; he is much more interested in the hardness and most natural stones are harder or much harder than quartz surface materials.

quartz is non-porous so it is more stain resistant than many natural stones. However, the resin in the quartz makes it vunerable to heat damage.

In reality, staining in granite and scorching in quartz are both rare events and should only be a minor consideration for most users.

I always tell my customers to pick the material that has the look they want. SOme natural stones like marble and limestone warrant extra consideration as their durability and stain resistance is substantially inferior to granite and quatrz surface.

hope this was helpful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here