Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mominthedubc

CD Refrigerator measurement...confused

mominthedubc
15 years ago

I will post this on the Appliance and Kitchen Forum. We cannot afford a Built-in refrigerator so thought we would compromise by getting a 36" CD instead. Wish they made 42", but it doesn't look like they do in a CD. Anyway, when looking at the specs, a CD is usually 30" w/ handles and a cabinet depth is 24". So how do you make it flush with the counters and cabinets? Hope this isn't a really stupid question, but it doesn't seem cabinet depth to me.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (29)

• nlcl
    15 years ago

The "cabinet" of the counterdepth refrigerator is generally 24" deep, but then you add the door itself and the handle, both of which stick out past the line of the cabinets (assuming they are standard 24" deep cabinets).

A built-in is 24" deep, including the door (but not the handle). So the difference appears to be the depth of the door (which isn't much, but it won't look like it is built in).

I think some people are able to cut back into the wall behind their refrigerator and position it so that it appears to be exactly even with the cabinets.

I have recently noticed some stand-alone refrigerators that come with trim kits to make them look built-in, but as I already bought I refrigerator I don't know much more about the brands, etc.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

The door portion sticks out past the cabinets. You need it to do this because of the way the hinges work. If you were to have it totally flush, you wouldn't be able to open the doors all the way. Look at your existing fridge and watch where the edge of the door goes when you open it. The built-ins have different hinges. I thought there were some CD ones that came wider than 36". Have you checked all the mfgrs?

-Babka

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you. I do understand the workings of the door and the cabinet. I guess what I am asking is how so many people are buying the CD and are happy with them when they stick out quite a bit. For instance a KA CD is 29 1/4 without the door and 33 1/4 with door and handles. That's 9 inches past the cabinet, that really doesn't seem like CD to me.

• deegw
    15 years ago

You might want to go to the finished kitchens blog and look at all the great pictures. There are lots of different built in fridge configurations. You should be able to get some ideas for your kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished kitchens blog

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I wasn't too happy when I found out my CD Ref was going to stick out over 7" beyond the cabinets! (31+ inches)! In my case it takes up needed aisle space b/w the refrigerator & peninsula. But, I suppose I will get used to it.

BTW...if you do get a CD Ref & you surround it w/finished end panels, make the panels deeper than 24" Ours are 26" and they hide the sides of the refrigerator that actually stick out beyond the 24"...all that sticks out beyond the panels are the doors & handles. (The door folds in on itself when it opens.)

Normally, when a CD refrigerator is installed about 2" or so of the sides still show. However, we decided this week to have the finished end panel extend past the wall by 2" to cover the exposed sides of the refrigerator. I'd rather see wood past the wall than the black sides of the refrigerator! Ditto for the other side on the cabinet run.

Yes, it still opens all the way (>90 degrees)

• deegw
    15 years ago

I was digging around and actually found a counter depth fridge category in the blog. The gal who put it together is amazing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Counter depth fridge category

• tkbalt
    15 years ago

We have had 3 CD refrigerators - gives a semi built in look for significantly less than the built in. The case depth of our GE profile is 23 7/8 inches without doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Profile CD

• kathy_ny
    15 years ago

Are you sure the KA you are looking at is truly a CD model? The 2 KA models I have looked at are about 26 inches deep w/out handles and 28 inches with the handles. I have ruled out some of the GE CD models as those seem to be the deepest at 29 - 31 inches deep yet are still listed as CD. The reason I ask if you are sure they are CD is I have found some online sites that call the KA models CD in the description but when looking at the specs they are not CD.

• roey736
    15 years ago

Buehl - which refrigerator did you get? I am having a hard time finding a FD with external water/ice. Thanks!

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

This thread is freaking me out because I have a KA cab depth waiting for delivery. I had to go check my specs nline. The link below is the model I bought and it says the depth less door is 24in. Whew!

Here is a link that might be useful: KA cab depth fridge

• agnesackneback
    15 years ago

My KA CD cabinet is 24" with a total of 29" including door and handles. It doesn't stick out enough to bug me. But I'm not big on built ins.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, so many people to answer, hope I do it.

Inkycrab, yours looks perfect. Don't worry. Mine is not that one.

Kathy ny. The website says it is CD and all the info says it is, that's what has freaked me out because when I look at the specs, it sure doesn't look like a CD! The model I am looking at is: KA KSCS25FTSS

Tkbalt... On this forum there have been so many complaints about GE Profile. What do you think so far?

Buehl... Your CD doesn't look like it sticks out, it looks good.

Thanks all, I hope I can figure this out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen aid refrigerator

• paul_ma
    15 years ago

I have a JennAir CD FD, with a panel on one side and a pantry on the other. The panel is 26" and the pantry is pulled out a bit to match. This covers about half the thickness of the door, while leaving enough room for the doors to open. It doesn't look like true builtin, but it looks pretty good.

The panel extends about an inch beyond the granite on the adjoining counters, which works out well.

It is true that the "counter depth" label is abused a bit. You just need to understand what you are getting and pick something that works for you.

I certainly wouldn't want to give up the capacity that reducing the depth by 2" more would cost.

• holligator
    15 years ago

mominthedubc, that's the fridge I have. I honestly don't think it sticks out as far as the specs on the KA site say. I don't have a pic specifically of the fridge, but here's one from a distance so you can get the idea. All that I can see on the side are the edges of the door.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Roey736...our refrigerator only has water in the door, no ice. We had a bad experience w/our previous GE Profile refrigerator that had ice in the door so we decided not to worry about getting ice this time. It does have an automatic ice maker in the bottom freezer so that's good enough for us!

Mominthedubc...the 26" deep finished panels make a big difference! I'm so glad my KD suggested it!

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Profile Energy Star® CD 20.9 Cu. Ft. FD Refrigerator w/External Water Dispenser, PFCS1NJWSS

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Holligator, the fridge looks great and your kitchen is beautiful, too! Did you have to do anything to the sides to make them seem more flush? Are your counters 24" deep, because this looks perfect. This has really helped me seeing your pic. I might sleep better, thanks. Paul ma and Buehl, thanks for the suggestion of the 26" panel, good to know.

• kathy_ny
    15 years ago

The KA link posted above is not for the KSCS25FTSS model - the link directs you to non counter depth KSRS25FTSS model.
    If you take a look at the measurement guide for the KSCS model the depth without handles is 27.5 inches and with is 29 - much less than you are anticipating. Looks like you may be OK :)

Here is a link that might be useful: KA counter depth KSCS model

• bethesdamom2008
    15 years ago

Holligator

That is the fridge I have currently specified. Do you like it? It is good to see that it looks so nice in place.

I secretly wish for a subzero 736 integrated, but I cannot afford that sucker. I know I will like the ice and water feature. DH is opposed to french door fridges, so this looks like our best choice

• holligator
    15 years ago

bethesdamom2008, yes, I love this refrigerator. I've only had it since January, but so far I have absolutely no complaints. I do have a back-up fridge if I ever have anything really huge, but so far, this one has fit everything I've tried to put in there. The in-door ice maker is great because it leaves so much room in the freezer. The filtered water tastes great, too.

• User
    15 years ago

A CD refrigerator is nothing like the normal depth fridge. Remember, your counter is going to be closer to 25 1/2" deep, not 24, that's how deep your cabinets are. The CD fridge is hardly noticeable, you certainly don't have to detour around it like a normal depth fridge. I love mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: CD fridge with counters/cabinets

• saskiasmom
    15 years ago

Momj47: That's the exact refrigerator I have on order. Your's looks great! I love your granite. Could you tell me what it is?

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deee, thank you so much for going to all that trouble to find the link for the CD fridges.

Holligator, again, I am so relieved to know you have this exact one and love it AND it looks great!

Momj47...thank you for that link. And last but not least...

Kathy NY...THANK YOU! I don't know how that happened, guess I just clicked on the wrong one! I did go back and look and it says the KA is 24 3/4' without door & handles and 30" with. OMG, I can't believe that I did that and I have been fretting over it and involving so many people in my dilemna. I feel horrible. But, everyone has been so nice and helpful! But, there is still this issue of 30". Our fridge now comes out 31" and it's a standard depth, so what's up with the CD only being and inch less? Oh well, if people say they have a CD and it works and doesn't stick out, I've gotta believe you! Thanks again so much everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: KA CD Fridge

• User
    15 years ago

saskiasmom, thanks, the granite is

, and on close examination, deep within one of the
    this is

• kathy_ny
    15 years ago

Mominthedubc - if you scroll to the bottom of the KA page the and open up the actual measurement guide pdf the actual depth without handle is only 27.5 and that is even better :) Don't fret about the depth including the handle as that won't even be noticeable - just be mindful of how far out the case of the fridge extends and you should be fine.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy NY, you have helped me so much. Thank you. I will definitely sleep better tonight.

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

Thats the same one I ordered only in monochromatic...instead of SS it is MS

• tkbalt
    15 years ago

mominthedubc - This will be our 3rd GE profile refrigerator. We have had 2 cabinet depth and one full size and have never had a problem. Two are in the house and we gave one to my mother in law at the onset of our current kitchen project (wanted a stainless model). That said - due to the complaints we always buy the factory extended warranty (but never used it).

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tkbalt, Thanks for your comments on GE. I have read so mnay negative comments about GE, it's nice to hear something positive. We are still debating between the GE Proflie, Monogram and KA.

Thanks.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Just to add more information to this thread (for those who have it bookmarked or follow a link to it...)

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Build-In a Refrigerator Slideshow