Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amharris

Pantry/utility room help--I have design paralysis!

Anne Harris
9 years ago

Hi everyone. We are renovating a home and I'm trying to figure out how to design the 7' x 9' space I have designated as a walk-in pantry. This pantry is behind the kitchen, and the door to the pantry will be on one of the 7' walls, so it's a basic small, rectangular room. Should be pretty easy to design (hah!)

Since we have 2 pull-out pantries in the kitchen, the pullout pantry will serve more general storage purposes rather than just food and related items. We don't have room on this back hall to have a separate coat closet, so we either need to build space for that in the garage or have some space in the pantry/utility room.

Specifically, what I'm trying to make sure I can store includes:
- Bulky appliances (KA mixer, food processor, waffle iron, blender, etc)
- storage for bulk items (paper towels, napkins, tissue, light bulbs, dog food, etcO
- oversized kitchen items (serving bowls, platters, vases, etc)
- extra wine glasses
- cleaning supplies (windex, others cleaners, rags, etc) plus vacuum, broom, mop, etc (assuming some sort of utility closet for these with a door that can shut them off from view
- Some food items
- medicines (normal cold and headache stuff, first aid, etc)
- landing zone for keys, wallet, purse, etc.
- oh yeah-- either hooks or something to hand coats

I'm struggling with how to best utilize the space, since it's not just a matter of having a lot of shelves built in, with maybe some counter space. I've looked at a gazillion pictures on Houzz and Pinterest.

Any ideas really appreciated! And if you've got one of these multipurpose rooms I'd love to hear your thoughts!!

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (4)