Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missamelia_gw

New to Gardenweb and need some help

MissAmelia
9 years ago

Hello everyone, I would like to introduce myself and hopefully get some advice on my on-going kitchen reno.(I apologize if this is not proper) I have been following for a while and am just frazzled at the moment and can�t seem to make decisions.
My husband and I bought our first house in 2012 and here are a few pictures of the kitchen (from the previous owner)- We had very shiny yellow oak cabinets with laminate sides, white formica counters with a rounded yellow oak edge, a hodgepodge of appliances, a resirculating vent micro that didn�t really work and a strange pass-through to our step down den that is about 4/5 ft high on the den side

We decided to open the wall between out living room and kitchen to be able to get the more opened feel that we wanted as well as taking the (non-practical) eating area out, adding more cabinets and a breakfast bar into the livingroom. After working with our KD we found a set up that worked for us. This is what we chose

The cabinets (and wood hood) we chose were by Cuisines Laurier in style Matisse Flat Panel, in icemilk with a glaze as well as dark brown- both matte finish. They also have a 4-piece architectural crown and a lower add-on moulding.
The BS we chose is beveled arabesque in white (so beautiful, but a lot of problems�still on going weeks later and a main cause of my frazzled-ness)
Sink- Alfi AB3018deco white farm sink
Faucet- Kohler bellera in ORB with matching soap pump
Appliances- Kitchen Aid architect series: 30inch electric convection wall oven, 24 inch micro w/ 27 inch trim kit, architect dishwasher, and architect 30 inch gas convection slide in (?)- The one without the back plate that sits in the counter oven, a Kenmore Refrigerator (replaced it about 4 months before reno when it dies and got the only one that fit in the old space-not replacing it) and the vent hood insert is by Prestige. All the appliances are white.
Barstools- Frontgate- Danbury wingback stools in the Mahogany/caramel studded leather
Coutners- Typhoon bordoux granite
Floors- 8x8 terricotta (runs through the foyer, halls and kitchen-keeping it)

Right now we are halfway through week two of the renovations and it is going quicker than expected and I have to make some decisions and truth be told I am over-whelmed, I would really appreciate some opinions.
1- I need to choose glass for the 2 accent cabinets, the choices are seeded or fluted- My husband, his family and mine all said fluted� I am the odd man out and say seeded because I am worried that the flutted will look to busy

2- The terracotta has been the bane of my existence (don�t get me wrong I love it and decided to keep it) but first took forever to find coubter stone that went and now the painter wants the wall color choice. What the heck color do I paint the walls! My husband says im just burnt and over thinking it.

3- This valance went in, it was too thick (deep)� they brought it back 3 inches and it looks Much better. In person it doesn�t block the 2 high hats just "shades" them. My husband and I feel like the valance needs to be lit, but where do the lights go? Centered? Centered over the sink? Don�t need them? Picture is before the valance was moved back some.

4- Does anyone do I side splash anymore, I was going to put one by the tall pantry cabinet to finish the run, and the tile guy looked at me like im nuts!?! ( maybe I am)

I APOLOGIZE that this is so long and picture filled, but I am losing it and all the people around me are looking like im crazy. Thank you in advance.

Comments (14)

• magsnj
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Breathe!!!! You're almost there.

Seeded vs fluted.....I prefer the Seeded as well. The
    seeded ties in better with the backsplash.

Tan paint? White? Blue? That's probably the toughest one to decide in pics for me.

I wouldn't light the valance.

No side splash.

All of the choices you've made so far are very pretty. I'm sure whatever you decide will be beautiful.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Agree with mags. You've reached the point where too much is going on, especially in a small space. Time to go simple to finish it off.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I have floors like that in my living room and dining room and used BM Revere Pewter. In the bedroom, same floor, I used BM Shaker Beige. Your kitchen is coming along great, I really like what you've already chosen.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I just got back from vacation where we stayed in a house that had a fabulous kitchen well, to look at anyway. Function was a whole other story but I digress, they had the fluted glass in two of the cabinets and it looked really nice. It was a very modern house and it fit right in with that theme. What I liked about it was that you couldn't see through it easily. I'm not sure about the seeded glass if that would be an issue. Maybe you don't mind that you could see through it? I always think people are more or less trying to hide whatever is in the cabinets. If that's important to you the fluted would probably be a better choice.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I vote seeded also. Your cabinet doors seem pretty traditional, and seeded seems to go better. The fluted reads more modern to me. As for wall color, maybe a tan that is in floor and counters? Just paint some sample colors in different areas to try them out.

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Fwiw, I liked the seeded glass as well. I too would nix the side splash. But, I am having a hard time understanding what "light the valence" means and how it was moved so it only "shades" the recessed lights...?

It looks nice overall; love your skylight.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Your cabinets to me, say a little old world kind of way, and I think that the seeded glass would be much nicer.

Besides the potlights what else are you doing for lighting. I'm wondering if maybe an actual light fixture hanging over the sink might look nice in the kitchen - rather than puck lights of any sort in the valance.

• MissAmelia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you ladies, had a little meltdown when hubs got home from work and the terracotta patch grout was flamingo pink, but once I got it all out I feel a little calmer.

Jennifer123- the valance was originally level with the cabinets and completely blocked the lights so I had then move it back 3 inches.

The contractor said we can light the valance by putting 2 high hats into it so it lights the sink, I just don't understand where they would go... his answer was wherever you would like....

Blfenton: currently I have 9 high hats, a 5 Ft x 5 Ft sky light and the 6 foot bay window.... they are getting switched with led conversion kits but other then that I was originally not adding any but now I don't know. Under cabinet lighting may be added at a later date, my contractor wanted a ridiculous price and would t budge.

• User
    9 years ago

Youdon't need lights in the valance. Ditch the valance. The lights that are already there would be doing their job but for it. It's in theway functionally, and te look is awkward.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I'm a little worried about the lighting period. I don't think the lighting plan will give you any decent task lighting. Could be wrong,

• MissAmelia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ugg I wish I could remove the valance, but it is hiding a structural issue that had to be fixed for some reason or another for permit reasons, it was the best of bad options.

Can I ask what task lighting is im a little confused? Is that like under cab lighting? They were saying they can "re focus" my highhats.... or should I consider moving them, KD and GC said they were fine and that's where we could save money, and to be honest this is a smallish kitchen and cost us $$$ but I don't want to end up half assing anything. Ive worked very high stressed jobs in the past and never had problems and im overwhelmed on this.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have a small kitchen and don't really need under cabinet lighting. I have a ceiling light over my sink/prep area. I put on the other four ceiling lights when need be. I have no windows in my kitchen--you have a large window and a skylight.

Did you purchase the arabesque tile already? The arabesque introduces a very strong pattern, as does the reeded glass. Your kitchen is chock-full of special and embellished elements-- the window, elaborate granite, slanted ceiling with skylight, two-tone cabinets, counter cabinet, valance, etc. You need to pull back at some point and let something play a supporting role to the stars, and you're down to backsplash and glass. I would use plain glass for the cabinets with the arabesque, though my preference would be seeded glass with a subway tile.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I have attached a one page info on types of lighting required in a home/kitchen.

What you seem to have is mainly ambient lighting - over all lighting at a 9' height and seem to be mainly hidden in your ceiling angles.

The window and skylight work fine for the day but not so much when it's dark and you're trying to prepare dinner.

Task lighting is specific lights at a specific point (such as a dropped light at your sink to help with clean-up, or undercabinet lighting at your prep area to help with cutting, seeing lines on measuring cups, reading a recipe, etc). Depending on your age, as you get older the more task lighting you require.

But like I said - you might be fine with your high lights. I just hope that aren't casting strange shadows but give you the light you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basic types of lighting required in a kitchen

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

My concern is with the arabesque as well. If you haven't purchased it yet, you may want to hold off and see how you feel after the granite goes in. We just had typhoon bordeaux counters installed and are so pleased we decided to wait on the backsplash. TB has tons of movement and we were amazed (fortunately in a good way) how vastly different it looks lying flat on the counters vs standing on edge. It seemed very gray/white background initially. Now much more creamy. It's totally changed our bs direction. Good Luck. It's going to look awesome!