Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurencp_gw

Backsplash - two questions

laurencp
9 years ago

I have been all over the map with my choices but I think I've got almost set. I looked at the Encore crackle tiles and the palette was gorgeous. I had four samples in my hand and I told the sales woman I love them all. She said well then use them, they look beautiful together. She showed me a recent job they had just completed using the same concept and it looked great.

So my questions are , would you use a mix of soft colors and would you use the 4x4 field tiles?

I still may play around with a few color combinations. I really liked the Moonlight which she did not have a sample of.

These are beach, sky celery, silver, Bali.

Soapstone countertops and BM cloud white cabinets.

All opinions welcome ans thanks!

Comments (5)

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Yes, a mix. What a nice combination...MIX it all up :)

• deedles
    9 years ago

Very pretty!

• romy718
    9 years ago

It is beautiful tile & your selections look pretty together. My concern is that you will get lots of different colors within each tile color that you order. Encore makes 53 different colors of crackle tile. If you look on their website at the color descriptions, each glaze is designated as minimum, minimum to moderate, moderate, moderate to high or high. My Encore Silver is designated as moderate. Within the Silver range, there are probably 3-4 distinct colors with light & darker tiles within those colors, depending on the color pooling. That's a good bit of variation in the tiles & one of the things that makes these tiles so interesting & beautiful.
    If you order 4-5 different tile colors, you are really going to have 12-15 or more colors to try to blend. If you can limit yourself to colors that have minimum variation, it would probably be easier.
    On the other hand, your tile shop has had experience blending them with a pretty result.
    The Encore website has a "Color Blends" section for mosaics that might be helpful. You could also email Encore. They were pleasant & responsive when I contacted for advice on sealing.
    They are beautiful tiles & you will love them.

• laurencp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy,

You are so right! What I loved about the Encore tiles was the color variation, so a combination would give me too many variations. This morning, the Sky seemed to resonate with me, but I am wondering if it will be too muted, as I do not think there is alot of color variation with this choice since it is the lightest in its palette. I like the Celery also so I may entertain those two together for a day or two. I think I will try to get a sample of the Mint, and Ice. I'm torn between the blues and greens, but the greens seem the best choice with the soapstone and hints of green veining.

I think my notion of mixing colors is dwindling after factoring in the natural variation ...we'll see.

These tiles are just so beautiful. I really like how their color palette works.

Thanks so much for your advice!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Marthastoo did the mint & she did a post following her install. Although, it's really hard to get a true sense of the color in photographs. The Silver doesn't photograph accurately.
    I have a sample of the Ice. It reminds me of the Bali but is green rather than blue. The Celery is beautiful & has more color saturation than the Bali or the Ice.
    Your soapstone is gorgeous. Not sure if a muted color or a more saturated color would compliment it best. What color are your cabinets?
    Good luck & keep us posted. Whatever you choose will be beautiful.