Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbpdx

Layout 1 - Input please

rbpdx
10 years ago

We are purchasing a home and doing inspection this saturday. I'm also having my cabinet maker come and give an estimate.

Here is what I come up with so far, minimal changes to the current layout.

I'm trying to minimize the change in footprints so we can save on electrician/plumbing. I will attached how the kitchen look like now on the second post.

Also would take in ideas on colors. We will keep kitchen floor as is.

Comments (10)

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is how it's look like in person

This post was edited by pdxkit on Tue, May 14, 13 at 18:44

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the updated layout. Bumping for ideas!

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

way too soon for any of what you are doing. the diag corner to the right of sink is a worse setup than what exists for starters. the character cabinets are something worth reusing/repurposing in all or partial format. the dishwasher and range on the 90 degree from each other like you propose is about a "last" resort. Giving top position to "electrician and plumber" to the degree that you feel no layout options can be entertained is ridiculous. electrician and plumber do a bit of grunt work in the process-that's all.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Hi again, Pdxkit. Your existing layout is far better than those of many who want to save plumbing and electric budget for the shopping, but I strongly agree that your first step should be to examine all your options. It costs nothing, after all. Determine what your very favorite layout would be, find out what the boring stuff would cost, and then you're in a position to say yes, very worth it, or no, we prefer to stay with the current layout.

I also agree that a standard corner on the right would give you better work space over there and keep the sink more accessible to a second person. The corner carousel units, whatever they're called, are very good these days and don't need an angled door.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to both of you!

I agree the existing layout is actually very good - which then makes it hard to improve upon! Also it's such a unique kitchen my original though was putting a new counter/replace sink and call it good.

However, although the woodwork is amazing on the face etc but the cabinet itself has really worn/torn. It was also missing that 'functionality' (drawers that roll etc). Currently, we have a new kitchen and I don't want to live without the functionality aspect.

We definitely need new appliances - oven and microwave and would you move this somewhere else or keep the footprints? I'll work on the layout more and will post something up soon.

Attached is the view from the dining room.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more close up picture of the cook top (wall 3). My thoughts is to remove all the uppers and have one level counter top (breakfast nook/bar)

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

I don't like the cooktop in the penninsula. It's too limiting. How about putting the fridge next to the fridge where you currently show the microwave and put the cooktop on the back wall.

I'd also consider an island instead of a penninsula, facing the opposite way.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Your kitchen definitely looks charming, pdxkit, part a really nice house. It's not surprising, though, that you might want much better function from the lowers. I've always preferred old kitchens and for years happily refurbished and made a minor improvement here or there,or just enjoyed. But that was before drawers. Lovely, full-extension drawers. And I no longer have children who will go spelunking for seldom used pans.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rosie. After pondering much about it now i'm thinking keeping most of the footprint intact.

Wall 1 - Leave it as is and works with the current cabinet (possible replacing the bottoms with pullouts) with the same door

Wall 2 - keep the footprints and replace 2 sinks to 1 sink (take down the uppers on the corner)

Wall 3 - Keeping the same footprint, take down the upper/hood, leave the beam. Existing cabinet 'door' facing the dining room is 'leaves' you can prop the 3 leaves up as buffet bar. Isn't this neat. I look in houzz there are similar peninsula. Update the cook top.

Wall 4 - update appliances - upper bottom microwave and oven vs the side by side. (the full width is 53.5) and have 1 tall narrow (23 inch) cabinet with lower drawer.

Update the counter material (granite) and install a 'quiet' backsplash.

So now, IKEA cabinet is really appealing because of the cost... which face will match the current look?? I'm really clueless about 'form'

TIA for all the input!

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

One thing that would be high on my list if this were my kitchen would be to have a real hood to ventilate the cooktop so I'd want to get it off the peninsula, esp. if you are at all considering making it all one level and doing seating opposite.

I second dilly's suggestions. For a kitchen of this size and wanting to remain in the same footprint, I think a range would be more practical as it would allow you to put it on the refrigerator wall and move the refrigerator to the microwave/wall oven wall.

And if that is not in the budget, then I strongly recommend living with this now for awhile and/or making some cosmetic improvements until you are in a financial situation to make these other changes.