Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regmoses

Choosing backsplash - ignore wall color? focus on counters?

regmoses
14 years ago

We love our new kitchen (gutted and remodeled last year). Couldn't stomach the granite costs, so went with this Wilsonart laminate w/no attached backsplash (Crystalline Onyx, I think) - and we're happy with that, though sometimes I wonder if I should have done a more black counter. I was afraid it would show dirt, marks too much.

Now, I'm not sure how to proceed with a backsplash.

The counters look grey-green, but I'd rather do something neutral in case I want to change wall color or counters later. I'm thinking I need to play up the black trim we've done throughout the cabinets. Do I need to do a grey backsplash? Here are my thoughts (and why I'm stuck):

Wants: Fairly neutral, traditional design, perhaps a liner or repeating accent tile (or both), symmetry, clean lines

Don't want: No busy-ness, not take away from my cabinets - they are my focus (I think), no tiny tiles, no clutter

I've looked A LOT, but haven't seen very many countertops that look the color of mine. Also haven't seen the black accents in many online kitchens.

Any ideas? The colors in these pics are fairly accurate. We've also trimmed the window in matching maple and there is molding around all doorways now, if that makes any difference.

Comments (18)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Here's one idea from Florida Tile. This one they call Green but it doens't look green to me. It's from the Livingstone line. Comes in 3x6
    {{!gwi}}
    Same company but their Retro Classic Flair line. Again, they call it Green but...
    {{!gwi}}
    Maybe use a pewter liner in a couple of places?
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    14 years ago

Remodelfla is much better that this than I am, but I think this would look really nice too:
    Chiaro Puebla on a diagonal
    {{!gwi}}

And a really pretty listello line for accent:

{{!gwi}}

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Are you going to keep the white ceiling and white woodwork (doors and window trim?) If so, I'd go with a simple white subway, very classic, very clean and obviously works with everything. Personally I'd change the color from white to a soft tan (stunning with the green and gorgeous with the wood) something like writers parchment by ralph lauren and then do a soft cream subway, again, classic, clean and neutral.

This said, I'm not a neutral girl :oP But white and ivory subways never go wrong...never!!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

if you're keeping the white trim, a white tile w/ that pewter liner would pull together the trim and the black/SS in your kitchen.

• pjegg
    14 years ago

I really like your kitchen. I'm looking for barstools. Where did you get yours? They're exactly what I am looking for!

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

I'm with igloochic on this. Your white trim appears too white with your gorgeous warm cabs and bronze hardware and pendants. I would soften the look with a trim color that is a bit more creamy, dosen't have to be much, just not so stark white. Then a soft cream subway would really finish it out beautifully. BTW, your kitchen cabinets are amazing!

• regmoses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pjegg - Got my barstools at JCPenney. They were on clearance for like $40 each, and it seems like I saw them recently in a new Penney's sale catalog.

pluckymama, igloochic, and all - Thanks for the suggestions and compliments. I have always wanted maple glazed cabinets and now I have them! Yeah! And under budget too. I'm going to have to post my kitchen in the $20K and less forum. We gutted it and upgraded lots of the cabinet details for about $16K.

I have to say I wasn't expecting to hear anyone suggest white, or even cream. I can't really wrap my mind around how that would look.

I hear what you're saying about the white ceiling and trim. So, you're saying I should paint the ceiling and trim a cream color? What about my white trimmed recess lights? Also, you'd still say I should do that when the kitchen is very open to my family room, all with white trim, etc.? I'm guessing I'd have to change all of that? Sheesh, my husband will kill me - we just finished painting the trim throughout the house all white.

I guess my plan of action all along has been to ignore the trim and ceiling colors and keep it all the same. I find the transitions between rooms to be awkward if they're different colors on trim and ceilings, as well as walls.

Here's a photo of the kitchen, then into the family room

And the window area, now that we have it trimmed in matching maple

close-up of the countertop

• granite-girl
    14 years ago

i think a subtle tumbled stone w/ some black accents would look good. I'm seeing just a hint of beige in your countertop (close-up helps). There are some pretty tumbled marbles or travertines that would look great with that, or even a slate to bring out the green walls & grey & beige in the countertop. I'm looking at Peacock slate right now that would be very pretty, I think. We also do a lot of backsplashes with a black granite accent. Sorry I don't know how to post pictures.
    Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

• mom2sethc
    14 years ago

Hello,

My kitchen is similar in colors to yours. I have maple cabinets, green walls and white trim. I went with a black laminate that I plan to switch out at some point. I did a porceline stone tile w/ a black granite accent. I think this will give me some options when I later replace the laminate.

Taken during tile install, so ignore the dust!
    {{gwi:1470846}}

• regmoses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mom2sethc - Thank you for posting pics of your kitchen/backsplash. I like how your colors combine, think it looks great. It helps just for me to see how the cream-colored tile goes with it. Thanks for taking the time to post.

granite-girl - thanks too for your feedback. I keep going back to some kind of black accent being necessary.

what about the following?

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Just finished ours today. Grout still a little wet and hazy. Tumbled Travertine and honed Limestone mosaic.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I love the look of a 4x4 squared with glass inserts and then the diagonal. It's classic, interesting, yet not busy.
    I now notice the goldish tan tones of your pendants and stripping on your fabric/couch. What if you were to pick up that tone in the field tile. You have beautiful light tan tones that run through your laminate. Then the white of your pretty moulding would work nicely. Additionally, tan/cream and black accents is a stunning combination. Just another idea...
    {{!gwi}}

Zillions of accents to choose from. Example:
    {{!gwi}}
    These are from Ann Sacks

• regmoses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Remodelfla - I like your idea. Never thought of gold. So you mean put gold squared, then a glass insert "striped," and then the gold again, just laid on the diagonal? Just making sure I get the idea.

marybeth1 - your tile looks great. Thanks for posting it. I can only see the trim in the hallway, but i wondered if your kitchen is trimmed with white (and if your ceiling is white?). If so, you're happy with how it all ties together? From the photo, your tile looks creamy, with maybe even some light/white tones too.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

You could tile it just like the pics you posted. I like that alot! These particular tiles come in all sorts of sizes. I'm sure many manufacturers have something similar.

I wouldn't go too gold. I was thinking a cream that was more on the gold side then gray side.

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

The 3x6 Travertine actually had allot more grey in it before we grouted. The mosaic has cream,grey and golds in it. It was hard finding a grout that worked with both, I hope I did not go too light. Here is a better pic of my trim. We replaced all the ugly pine with painted , much to wood loving DH objections but after we finished I think he's finally on board. We used BM Cloud White and yes it is a creamy white. As for my ceilimgs they are all BM Barely Beige. I have some deep colors in my home and stark white was too harsh. I like to treat ceilings as the fifth wall. Hope that helps!

another ceiling picture

• regmoses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting your pics marybeth. Your colors are lovely!

I wish I had flat ceilings so I could paint those. Wouldn't my dh be so happy with me having to pick out those colors too? LOL

Why is decorating so hard for some of us? I'm so thankful for everyone's input. No decision made yet. I think I'll go back to saving the cash for the purchase first. I'll put off the decision a while longer, but you guys have really steered me in a great direction. At first I was thinking of a gray glossy tile, with a black liner and then black tile on the diagonal. I think now that would be way too dark. I'm going to look toward the creamy tones everyone has suggested. THANKS

• ebse
    14 years ago

I actually really like your white trim, and I think a white subway would be great to tie it all together. I know you said that the colors show true, but perhaps the white trim looks even brighter due to the camera flash?

• tnorman
    14 years ago

Hi regmoses - if you are interested in a creamy or non-white subway tile, here is a photo of mine. My kitchen isn't completed yet, but can give you an idea. I am in love with my backsplash (even more than my granite). Good luck. What a process, eh?

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert