Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_in_nc

We're in the Home Stretch!- Teaser Pic

mary_in_nc
15 years ago

Finally my GC is wrapping up the project! All of our appliances are installed! And plumbing is hooked up! Still have left: last of hardware, couple of doors on order, finish installing glass in doors. All in time for DH to have surgery Friday on his neck for some herniated discs. Keep him in your prayers.

Teaser pic...

Comments (28)

• Linda Giorgi
    15 years ago

beautiful kitchen. Hope your DH feels better soon.
    Lynn

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Mary I've seen some of your in progress pics and they get me drooling every time! Can't wait to see the whole thing.

My heart goes out to you and your DH. I have herniated discs, too (lumbar) and thankfully 8 weeks of physical therapy helped me. I hope the surgery goes well for him and he has a speedy recovery.

Robin (also in NC!)

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Hey, no fair, I want to see more pictures of your beautiful kitchen! Good luck with DH's surgery.
    Barb

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I think I'm going to love this, but I won't know unless you post more....

Good luck with the surgery.

• mary1805
    15 years ago

oooh, please post more pics soon! I'm still in the planning stages and your backsplash, counters, sink, & cabinets are exactly what I'm thinking of doing. Can't wait to see more!

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

ooooooooh such the tease!!! More pics please!- the Golden better be in some, too!! ;)

• nancy_east
    15 years ago

What a tease! But it looks soooooooo great!! I've been wondering how far along you were with things. Rob and Leslie from Asheville Kitchen Tops were telling me how beautiful your soapstone turned out! Good luck with the final stretch and post pics as soon as you can :)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I cheated...Clicked on the photo and got to more! Love the butcherblock and the other details... and prayers and best wishes to you and dh for his surgery.

• claybabe
    15 years ago

WowzA! I'm clicking too, thanks, rhome410! Gorgeous kitchen.

• Yvonne B
    15 years ago

wow - that's looks wonderful!! And, I found the Golden :-).

• igloochic
    15 years ago

gorgeous! dh will be in my prayers. if he runs low n post surgery drugs....i can hook him up lol

i really do hope the best for him and you. it;s a lot ofstress on the whole family so you will all be in my prayers!

• atlbeardie
    15 years ago

Looks great, Mary! Can't wait to see more.
    My husband had surgery on a couple of discs in his neck a few years ago and I was amazed (and thrilled) at how quickly he recovered. As he said, had he known how easy it (the surgery) was, he would have had it done much earlier. Here's wishing your husband a similar speedy recovery!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, you guys, for your compliments, encouragement, jokes (i.chic) and support! You are all so great!

Mary

• maydl
    15 years ago

I clicked, too! What a fabulous kitchen! And if your DH is having microsurgery, I have a friend who's said it was the best thing she ever did for herself. I hope your DH's experience ends up as positively as hers did.

• nancy_east
    15 years ago

Mary,

I just discovered your other photos and it's even MORE amazing after looking at those too! Quick question--who did your butcher block--did AKT do that too? I'm using butcher block for my island, and I LOVE the look of yours! In my mind, mine will look very similar to that so I'd really like to know who you used and if you were happy with them.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tease, it's beautiful. I'll say a prayer for your DH that everything goes well.

• neesie
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous vintage kitchen! I wish I was doing a vintage kitchen like that! (Jealousy talking here). Seriously, I hope your husband's surgery is as successful as the other posters who have relayed their encouragement. Make sure you are extra-special kind to him while he's re-couperating. I don't remember if you posted about him liking the skin on the pudding or not...but pudding is an excellent recuperation medicine you can give him. :)

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nancy-

My GC/KD Sam Benbow of Benbow Cabinets in Asheville (281-2700) made the butcher block for me. I got the inspiration from a web search and have attached the link below. Sam has been great to work with! A very sweet soul who takes great pride in his work. I love that I have shaken the hand of the person who made my butcher block. It's like a piece of artwork. Probably my most favorite thing in my kitchen. (Well, love my soapstone, too!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Devo's Butcher Block

• mike_r_2000
    15 years ago

Great pictures! (I clicked too :-D )

Can't wait to see the final product - love the hardware you chose.

• beantownrenovator
    15 years ago

Mary - it's stunning! Would you tell me the color of your soapstone?

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beantownrenovator-

My soapstone is Green Mountain Original. I LOVE IT!! I oiled it two weeks ago for the first time and it has yet to fade! And it does not easily scratch. Everyone who comes by my house to see it comments on how much they love running their hands on it!

Go Red Sox!!

• hcf1
    15 years ago

It's beyond a TEN! Love it - you will definitely inspire many!!!

• deedee-2008
    15 years ago

How beautiful! What a special place you have made in your home. My brother had cervical disc surgery, and did well quite quickly, so wishing your DH a speedy recovery, also.

• wascolette
    15 years ago

Mary, what brand of subway tiles did you use? It all looks wonderful.

Good vibes being sent for your DH's surgery tomorrow!

• clc08
    15 years ago

Simply beautiful, Mary. That is gorgeous Soapstone you have there! I also peeked and found your Golden...we are Golden people too! And, my husband had herniations taken care of Dec 26th...hope your husband's healing is swift. Mine is literally a new person.

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wascolette-

The tile is from Subway ceramics. The pics do not do it justice. It is beautiful, beautiful tile. Very well made porcelain tile. My tile guy even commented on how nice it is. The grout I used is "moonlight". It was the lightess gray grout that my tile guy had available.

To everyone- thanks again for all your encouragement and positive thoughts. I'm in the medical field. I know there are a lot of people going through surgery every day. It's so different when it's the most important person in your life going into the OR. I appreciate all your kind words.

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Subway Ceramics Tile

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To all of you who said a prayer for DH and sent good vibes our way a big thanks!! He is out of the OR and doing great!

Mary

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

Absolutely amazing! Love it! the butcherblock is gorgeous. Have you used your Sharp Microwave yet? I just got the same one installed a couple of days ago. So far, I have only heated up my coffee...

The soapstone is stunning. I looked at three different places and never saw a single slab even close to that pretty.

Good luck to your DH.