Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Super White is In. And I think it's fab.

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 18:27

What a day. The giant hunk of rock showed up. It went perfectly. I'm in love with it. I'll just let the pictures tell the story... The island took 5 men to bring it in with several rests along the way. I heard them say it was the biggest piece they have ever moved. It is 10'3" long, but who is counting? And I only have 2 seams in the whole kitchen (none in the island)

DSC_0012

DSC_0017

DSC_0020

DSC_0021

DSC_0037

DSC_0026

DSC_0033

DSC_0039

Anybody else thinking beveled arabesques again? I am...

I'm so tired, it was a long day.

Bee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Super White is In. And I think it's fab.

Love it! That is a gorgeous slab....standard edge on the perimeter, what is the edge on the island? Thx

o

Bee- The countertops looks wonderful! Personally, I just don't think it would look like "Bee's kitchen" without the beveled arabesques :)

o

THAT is some gogeous rock!! It looks great with the gray cabs!

Nancy

o

I just keep scrolling up and down through those amazing pics--ga-ga-gorgeous!!! That island will be a heavenly place to prep. Beveled arabesques would be beee-u-ti-ful!

o

Wow those are incredible countertops! Of course so is the whole kitchen. You can't go wrong with the arabesque tiles but I bet you could come up with something new and different for the backsplash for all of us GWers to lust after.
Can't wait to see it completely done.

o

Why yes it is!!! The counters are gorgeous!!! The natural light on them shows its' greath depth, just imagine what your lighting will do....and can't wait to see it all come together!!! Arabesque, you say? Uhm...I can see that, but I can also see you doing something really different!!! :)

Take a deserved rest after a long day...maybe a glass of wine...

o
RE: My Super White is In.

emilyarthur, it is long ogee on the island. The perimeter is indeed an eased edge.

lavender & flwrs--I really am thinking the arabesques might be perfect. I have one in my bag--I"ll have to go tape it up tomorrow. I think my dh is up for it too.

springroz--yes, I'm so glad it does look good with the gray. I used a SW sample to pull that gray from, and it wasn't a sample from this lot nor this fabricator. whew.

Thanks for the feedback.

o
I think it's fab.

badger & clary, we must have posted at the same time. Thanks! I know, I really wanted to do something different. I"m drawn to the $100/sq foot Artistic tile, but honestly? That is a bit out of the price range! I'm going to keep my options open for now, we aren't doing this before we move in. I just keep seeing the arabesques in there...

o

It definitely is FAB.

I might get bored with doing the same backsplash twice, but sometimes I miss the boat on 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it,'...and for you the beveled arabesque is a nice signature thing.

o

Gorgeous!!!! That is a seriously beautiful stone. I can't believe they were able to do the whole island in one slab. The arabesques would look fantastic in there, but then I bet anything you chose would be very much you.

o

Bee, it's as beautiful as I imagined it would be.
I absolutely loved the Arabesques in your other kitchen and
bet it would look good with this one too.

o

Fabulous! I'm seriously in love with your island. Congrats.

o

That Super White is truly gorgeous.

o

I do believe my heart stopped. Love. absolutely love it.

Could you please give it an extra little love swipe for me?

;-)

o

Your new rock ROCKS! Very beautiful!

o

Heart be still. Insanely beautiful. Love it.

o

Absolutely stunning! I am in love with the grey island as well. I think you have something up your sleeve for the backsplash and it will be gorgeous.
Have to chuckle at pic #2--the poor guy on the far left...he looks like he's in a lot of pain.

You must be so happy with your stones.

o

Beautiful Bee, simply beautiful.

o

Beautiful! I love it!!! :)

o

Bee, It's amazingly beautiful! I love, love, love it!!! I love the whole kitchen! The colors are fabulous! And I think the arabesque would be perfect!

o

IT is so beautiful! And the arabesques would be beautiful with it.

It's a different story, but a familiar character, like a sequel. :) And who doesn't love a good sequel??

Do you have 3 sinks in there???

o

That stone is... a w e s o m e ! ! !

o

Gorgeous! Simply gorgeous!!!

o

If I ever do another kitchen... I might need Super White. Simply stunning

o

Simply stunning!! I can't wait to see the room completed.

o

You must have been holding your breath watching them carry your beautiful stone from truck to counter. So beautiful in its new home!

o

It's beeee a u ti ful!!

Congratulations to you!

The colors all go together perfectly..

o

Oh wow - it is Stunning!! Love it!!

o

I am speechless! That is the most beautiful counter I have ever seen.

o

Karen, It looks unbelievably gorgeous!!!! Couldn't wait to see it, i love the veining in it, looking so amazing so far! Wich tile were u looking at at artistic? I am seriously in love with a few of them, and might do it because i only have a small area behing my range that gets tiled, so price wise, i may be able to swing it, tks, Michelle

o

I think we have another legend in the making! Even though I went another direction, I will always have a soft spot for this stone. (Okay, that's embarrassing that I just typed that. Thank goodness for screen names.)

o

Bee!! Your counters are GORGEOUS!! Of course I am a tad biased with your selection ;) Enjoy enjoy enjoy!!

o

Well OF COURSE I love it since it's my stone too!!!!! And we still haven't done our backsplash - but if we could afford the arabesques we would do it in a second! It never gets old seeing it in your old photos. I can't wait to see more pictures of your kitchen!

o

Stunning details everywhere -- and the stone -- ooh-la-la!

Billy

o

What a glorious piece of stone!!

Um, your stone guys do know there is a dolly for granite...don't they?

Coming in, See those steps? They need to get the granite up.

o

I've been waiting to see this post! We are super excited to have picked Super White for our kitchen too and seeing your pics confirms that we made the right choice too!

Congratulations it's lovely!

o

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Yep - beveled arabesques would be perfect!

o

beautiful. love your island color, too!

o

Oh Bee, oh My! Fabulous indeed. Huge grin on my face as I look at your pictures... MORE PICTURES please! Love the new countertops and know you'll do just fine, whatever choice you make for the backsplash.

o

Oh, I love it!! You must use the arabesque...it is stunning and would be perfect!

o

wow bee! it's stunning! i really love it.
i'm going to have my calacatta ripped out tomorrow...

o

Ahhh...so nice! Bee - your layout looks similar to one I'm working on and trying to refine. Do you have your drawings posted somewhere? Your pics have me dreaming!

o

Bee... Oh Bee... It's just breathtaking!! Makes all that drama finding this piece so worth it, no?? I got all tingly scrolling thru your pics, reminded me of my stone installation day. Even tho I still adore my super white, I found myself drooling over yours! How are you going to sleep tonight?? Truly beautiful and it complements your cabs (both white and gray) fabulously!!

I cannot wait to see the finished kitchen!

Btw, are those also Amerock pulls on your lowers? Looks great!!

o

Love the stone and everything about the kitchen so far. I am going to be the (apparently) lone dissenter and say that I love the arabesque tiles in the other kitchen, but I think they might be a bit too much pattern with this stone. I would prefer something with simpler lines.

o

Pretty, pretty stone ya got there! :-)

o

Holy cow what a beautiful kitchen! Congratulations! Love it! (I see the arabesque too!)
Deborah

o

Wow! Beautiful, of course. lascatx, I'll join you. The stone is very bold and masculine, I think the arabesque tiles would not compliment it. Bee, you are a very talented designer, you will find the right backsplash. Look forward to seeing the finished kitchen.

o

Really beautiful! I covet all that counter space!!! I don't think there is a prettier tile than arabesques. It would look perfect in your new space.

o

Drop dead gorgeous!! Love your kitchen!

o

Bee,

Your kitchen is so stunning so far, I have looked at it over and over again. I hope you don't mind, but I am trying to live through you during this kitchen reno. I based my budget kitchen refresher after your last kitchen, and this one is even closer to what I would call my "ultimate dream kitchen" down to the grey island and beveled arabesque. Apparently, we have the same taste! Enjoy!!!! You are doing an absolutely beautiful job so far. I love your style!

o

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC Bee! I am so excited for you. Can't wait to see you home finished!!! When is you move in date?

o

Whoa! Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my screen. :)
How totally gorgeous Bee. I love love love SW and yours is stunning.
Arabesque again? OH YEAH, it would be stunning.

o

I am so glad you like it too. While it was being installed yesterday, there was carpet being installed upstairs. So needless to say I had a whopper of a headache by last night. I came home, grabbed a bite, posted the pictures because I knew it would be cruel to wait just one more day to share this with the TKO here. So glad I did...it was nice to read all of the comments this am. I went to bed early with 2 Advil pm and voila I am ready to go again!

(and as far as that carpet upstairs--it is so ugly. I am not sure what I am going to do. I think it is the cobination of it with my Gray Owl. I mean it looks hideous. Hopefully a different paint in the bedrooms can correct this problem. Of course I need to make sure they installed the right carpet. The color was not written on the sheet the installer had.)

Now, let me address the questions and comments:

rhome-I thought I might be bored too, but I am not sure now. I did love that tile. Now we know how to install it without "all the drama" associated with the first time.

laxsupermom-the installers could not believe they got it all on one slab either

eriepatch,rainwood, rosie--thanks!

lawjedi-my heart stopped as they came up the steps into the house. I will give it a little swipe for you. I am planning on going over and hugging it today. I did not want to do it in front of the installers. They already probably thought I was crazy.

kaijutokusatsu & linelle -thank you!

peonybush-that guy was in pain.

motherof3sons, mom23es, and deb---thanks!

home4all6--you scare me with that sequel analogy-they usually are a bit of a disappointment. :o And yes, there are three sinks. Clean up, prep, and beverage.

darbuka & tea4all-thank you!

remodelfla- I am not sure about that--your soapstone is just too gorgeous.

snbtwins--I cannot wait to see it completed either. Maybe someday.

AnnaA-I was holding my breath and running around to get photos. I thought I would kick myself if I missed that opportunity. Initially I thought I should hide in another room and just not watch.

susied-I was very relieved to see the island is the color in the veining. I picked the color based on a sample of SW that was not from this lot nor this fabricator.
bella & purplepansies-thanks so much

michelle-thanks, and the tile I was looking at were the ones with the water jet laser marble/mother of pearl. Not sure of the name. They looked like ribbons. But for me, there is no way. Perhaps I could stencil the pattern back there....

colorfast-you are funny. Thanks, that is too kind.

aokat--right back at ya ;)

slush--we need to form a club. We had one for BA..."welcome to the BA club"....so I think we need a SW club. If you have not decided on the back splash yet, keep your eye out for sales. You never know.

billy--thanks for the nice words

suzannes-yes they had the dolly but they did not use it. Not sure why. Perhaps the steps outside? Or they did not want to use it in the house? I never even asked why. They did put down 2 x 4 s along the way so they could put it down and rest.

hoboken-AnnMarie said you should come over and see it in person. Let me know if you want to do so. And you were right--I am very happy with it. She told me a lot of people saw it in the shop and really wanted it.

ayerg- thank you and thanks for your vote.

threapples--at first that island looked too blue, but I waited and now that the stone is in, I love it too.

oldbat2be--thanks! I will post some more pictures.

nini-thanks and thanks for the vote

kateskouros--oh great, can you send it to me? I have some vanities that could use your stone cast-offs on... Thanks, I am glad you like it.

sculb-I do not have drawings posted. If you want to email me, I can send them to you. I am at beekeeperswife at gmail dot com

dragonfly-- I took 2 advil pm to knock me out! Yes those are Amerock pulls--Highland Ridge.

lascatx-I know, I will have to think about this backsplash decision. I have time, we are not doing the tile until we move in.

cat mom-thanks. I knew when I saw it at the fabricators that it was "the one".
DJHinVA-thanks!

gigi--I had never thought of the stone as masculine. that is interesting. Perhaps "he" needs to be girlied up, and what better way than to add a backsplash that looks like a Chanel quilted patent leather purse??? :)

poohpup-I am over the moon with all the counterspace. I did not have enough in that last kitchen just due to its size.

outsideplaying-thank you!

makeithome-that is very kind of you. Just make sure in your ultimate dream kitchen you get a bigger window. sore subject for me

caminnc--no settlement date has been given other than the original promise date of 6/29. I believe we will be in sometime in early June.

hermajesty--thanks for that, you made me chuckle.

o

I think that's the prettiest stone I've ever seen. Incredible.

o

HEY! Whatcha got hiding under that garbage bag hanging from the ceiling??? I bet it's BLINGY!

o

HEY! Whatcha got hiding under that garbage bag hanging from the ceiling??? I bet it's BLINGY!

o

Bee, you have such a vision. Your kitchen is stunning.

o

Bee - Wooo hoo! That is absolutely breathtaking! Give it many hugs, and don't care who's looking! The Artistic tile would look amazing but way too pricey. Your arabesques will be equally amazing!

o

Beautiful SW and amazing kitchen! Great job!

o

Oh Bee! It's so unbelievably gorgeous! Your whole kitchen is looking fabulous. I can't believe you've progressed this far already. It seems like just yesterday you were posting about layout and cabinet configuration. I love the cabinets you've selected and the colors. And super white is one of my absolute favorite counter materials. I talked my brother into using it in his kitchen and am hoping when I can finally afford mine there will still be some gorgeous slabs out there. I think arabesque tile would be gorgeous. There are so many beautiful tiles out there I'm certain you'll pick something just perfect.

o

Very nice! Can't believe how fast your house is coming to completion.

o

Bee, wow!! what a stunning stone! I'm in agreement - your arabesque beveled tiles are a PERFECT match for that gorgeous stone.

o

Thanks Bee - I check their site and she said they would have a 10day sale if they reached 5000 fans on FB but the FB link doesn't work, they won't answer when I call, and I'm not sure if that is an old posting on their website because there is no dates. I'll keep trying!

o

that's odd slush, I just looked to see what you meant. The FB link worked for me. Try 610-244-6448. I know the toll free number is listed, but try this one and see what happens.

Bee

o

Okay I'm a dummy...I was trying to click on the "f" on the right of the page, and not the actual words "like us on Facebook". It worked thanks! Hopefully they can get to 5,000 likes because that's a great deal! Cuts the cost in half. Thanks again Bee!

o

Bee, I am in love with your Super White counters! I also LOVE your cabinet style and the shade of white used. What white pain brand and color did you use? Your kitchen is turning out beautiful. You have such great taste. Thanks for caring.

o
Backsplash choice - RE: My Super White is In. And I think it's f

Bee, I also agree that your arabesque beveled tiles for your backsplash are a PERFECT match for that gorgeous Super White Stone!

o

Can't think of another positive adjective! They've ALL been used.........I'll just say, Congratulations! It's amazingly stunning. Now I'm rather sorry I changed my mind from using SW and choose Alpinus instead. Hopefully I'll love it as much as this. Enjoy it Bee, your ship really did come in!

o

Beekeeperwife - I am laughing here because the 'dream tile' I think you are talking about is EXACTLY the dream tile that we can't really afford to do in our bathroom. You and I have very similar taste it would seem! : )
Is it from Artistic Tile? I just LOVE it and have a ton of pictures of it on my phone.
My heart was beating when I saw it a month ago when we were in NYC. Was it called Claridges water jet? I'm drooling just looking at the pic!

I would love to see your kitchen! Where are you located? I have a feeling you might be in the opposite direction to us though which would be tough. I don't know if Ann Marie mentioned it, but I'm really pregnant and quite uncomfortable so I'm trying to keep long trips to a minimum.
Just going to Stone Masters from Philly totally wiped me out for the rest of the day! Dealing with contractor issues all day is proving a challenge at the minute!!

As we discussed I think the Arabesque tiles would look amazing, as would the dream tile. Have you thought about a grey glass subway? Or not exciting enough for you?

I think the splash decision is going to be a tough one for us too, but you have some great options.

o

Bee and Hobokenkitchen--you two are making me dream! Those tiles are absolutely gorgeous! I haven't even broken ground on my house and I am dreaming of what the kitchen hopefully will look like. Thank you so much for the inspiration! Tami

o

Lovely!! SO pretty!! Second my choice now as this was on my list of stone I loved. Looks terrific

o

Oooh, I think it is FAB, too!

WOWOWOWOWOWOWEEEE!

o

Wow, just amazing! And look at those strong guys bringing it in! My former boss has an island about as big, and it is SO impressive to see that beautiful huge piece of stone.

I would love to see the beveled arabesque in homage to the old kitchen, but I know whatever you choose will be fabulous.

o

You searched and searched and it was SO worth it! Absolutely beautiful. Congrats!

o

Lovely!! SO pretty!! Second my choice now as this was on my list of stone I loved. Looks terrific

o

Truly gorgeous Bee!!! Another vote for ARABESQUE!!!
Ann

o

Bee, as I said in a prior post, I LOVE your kitchen and it is even going to be more spectacular than your prior magazine worthy gorgeous kitchen! That Super White counter is fabulous with no seams in the island!

Which Sherwin William paint did you use on the cabinets since I read on another post that you used SW and not BM so could not use the BM Cloud White that you used last time. I love the style of your cabinets and everything about them also.

Thank you! I can't wait to see more pictures of your kitchen as it progresses to one day finished!

o

Thanks everybody! I went and visited yesterday. Found the Trim Subcontractor in the house....he said the stone spoke to him when he walked in "take me home with you"...hahah

Lynne2006--sorry, I missed your question. The trim in the house is painted SW color. But the cabinets are a catalyzed lacquer from ML Campbell. I don't know the color. I only know that the island is "London Fog" and the perimeter is the lightest color on that strip. (an off white/very light gray) Hope that helps

o

Great photos Bee! We seem to be on a similar schedule. We just had our SW counters installed this week. I'd post some photo's but I loaned my camera to my sister and haven't gotten it back yet.

I have a few questions though. Did you run into any negatives with the Super White? I have two places where there is a barely perceptible crack that doesn't actually go all the way through the counter that the fabricator swears are a natural occurrence in the stone and not a result of fabrication. They are going to "seal" those areas today I think, but was curious if you ran into similar issues. I actually went to one stone yard that said they stopped carrying Super White because it cracked too often during fabrication and ended up costing them too much. I'm honestly not sure if I believe my fabricator when he says it had nothing to do with his cutting/handling.

Second, can you post a picture of your seams? I know its going to be the part you like the least but I have one seam and would like to have something to compare it to. I've not been thrilled with my fabricator at all and want to make sure they do as good a job on this seam as they can. My seam is definitely visable, the movement in the stone makes hiding it nearly impossible. What i wasn't expecting though was to be able to feel it as much as I do. The guy said they weren't entirely finished with it and would be able to make it smother, but these guys have me worried.

I'll post lots of pics of mine once I get my camera back tomorrow though! Super White is very pretty stuff and thanks for sharing yours already!

o

Hey bodhi, can't wait to see your photos. When we first approached the fabricator for doing the island as one piece he tried to talk me out of it, especially with the big sink cutout on the corner. It was the perfect storm. But I had faith in them that they could do it. Other fabricators, I may have been worried. I trust these guys that much. That's why I picked them, they are not local but rather from 2 hours away...they did my last kitchen.

I haven't actually touched every part of the stone yet, but I didn't notice any cracks like you are talking about.

I think I do have a photo of one of the seams. The only thing you can see is a slight pattern change. There are only 2 seams in this kitchen!

I'm going to try and post photos through the new GW direct posting..but I don't know how to preview the picture...so good luck! That didn't work...it was too big....back to Photobucket. And that didn't work either...so Flickr it is.

DSC_0029

o

Bee,
Your new kitchen is gorgeous and the stone is stunning. I can't believe how much has been accomplished in what seems like a blink of the eye!

Love seeing the pictures. Can't wait to see more develop.

o

Bodhi, we also used Super White, and I think your fabricator is telling the truth about its propensity to cracking. I noticed tiny, hairline cracks in some of the large slabs at a couple different stone yards. I didn't notice any in the slabs I chose, but now that it's installed, we do have one tiny, tiny, hairline crack that I'm asking them to seal and polish next week. It's a drop-dead gorgeous stone, though, and I'm more than happy to live with its somewhat fragile nature.

Gorgeous, Bee! Gorgeous! I love the edge on the island. I can't wait to see the rest.

o

bodhi-I saw your question to Bee and it sounded like what I found the day ours was installed. We did have a "crack" that the fabricator swore was just part of the natural stone and it did not go all the way through.
From Moon Night Granite Install

From STILL not finished kitchen

o

Bee,Thanks for letting me know the names of the colors. Your kitchen is becoming one of my favorites!

o

Thanks for the picture of the seam. Yours seems to be filled with a lighter color material than mine is and it looks better with the lighter color. They're not done at my house so I'm hoping it'll look better in the end. I complained enough that they are bringing in a "repair specialist" from a nearby larger city to touch everything up. I get my camera back tomorrow so I'm hoping I can take some before and after pictures.

The tiny cracks I've noticed aren't even noticeable to the eye unless I put my face down really close or catch it in reflected light as if you're trying to see some subtle etching. I can feel them with my hand/nail though. It does help to actually run your hand over everything. I've found imperfections I otherwise wouldn't have noticed by doing that.

Question: what finish did you others with SW end up getting?

Bee, yours looks polished. Slush, your closeup almost looks honed, but the farther out shot looks polished at the edges.

I was planning on using honed because of the chance of etching, but had them cut me off a chunk and polish half and hone the other half and we really liked the polished half much better. Each seems to have its advantages/disadvantages though.

o

Bodhi, that's exactly how I'd describe the little hairline crack we have. It's also what I saw (felt) on some of the other slabs we looked at. I think once it's filled and polished it will be virtually unnoticeable.

We also went with polished. I was a bit afraid to because of the etching that I know will happen, but I really loved the polished look. It doesn't seem to etch anywhere near as severely as the marbles like carrera do, so I hope it will be mostly ok.

How have others' experiences with etching been? If I leave vinegar or wine for 30 minutes or so, I can see a faint etch mark if I look from the right angle. I think that same amount of time would leave a more substantial and noticeable etch mark on marbles.

o

bodhi... I'd have to agree with WindyCity. My fabricator also told me, after starting work on some of my pieces, that this stone, while very hard, was particularly brittle and that made cutting it very challenging. There also seems to be more fissures that are inherent in lots of SWs and that is probably what you are seeing. Whether or not they will eventually crack during fabrication, installation, or use... you just can't predict something like that. This was one reason why runnels weren't an option for this stone (I really really wanted them).

That said, there are 2 or maybe 3 fissures that we found right after installation. 1 has probably turned into a crack because we can now feel it on the surface. It doesn't really bother us and our fabricator have offered several times that they can come out anytime and polish/finish it. We haven't done anything about it because it's really not noticeable. Overall, we're still in love and completely happy with our decision to go with the SW.

These photos and the discussion are really bringing back memories of our installation. I posted some photos from that day (they used a self-made dolly to bring in the pieces) which included the one seam we had -- centered behind the sink. You can see them in the link below. I thought they did a great job matching up the edges... Which is incredible because the two sides came from totally different parts of the slab. Here are 2 photos just taken of them today:

Untitled

Untitled

Here is a link that might be useful: my SW installation

o

Bodhi-We have it honed and love the softness of it. We do love the look of polished because we think it really showcases all details of the stone and we went back and forth so many times, but have never seen a honed (any type of granite or stone) in real life and loved the idea of something so different. I especially love the softness of it. Also like others have stated, if it is etched it shows up a lot less.

So far we do have a very small (size of a dime) etch from lemon juice left over night but not a single staining - and we pretty much drink red wine every night with dinner and there have been spills left overnight and they just wipe right up. There has also been tomato sauce left overnight and it did not stain either. I only clean it with dish soap and water.

I can post some more pictures in a new thread if anyone wants to see of both honed and polished at the stone yard as well as some of mine close-up where you can see all the veining because it's honed. It has great texture. But I don't want to take over Bee's thread.

o

Drool . . . slobber . . . drool. Those are some gorgeous SW counters! Is that a 2cm or 3 cm eased edge on the perimeter?

o

Stone is Gorgeous! (as is the new kitchen!). We just installed black cabinets and are templating for SW on Monday. I'm concerned about the possible staining - although from what I've read, I had to worry more about staining than etching, but it doesn't seem so on this thread. The fabricator that did our bar did mention that it can be a brittle stone to cut. But, wow, it is gorgeous!

o

kaysd--those are 3 cm slabs. And don't you be drooling on those slabs now...

35ftcabo--so excited for you. It is such a pretty stone. I tested the heck out of a piece. Never stained and it probably wasn't even sealed. I left a lime on it over night and it did etch, but...when I squirted lime juice on it and left it for a little bit (normal drink preparation time, etc.) It did not etch. The marble I tested did etch as soon as the lime juice hit it. We are not the type to leave a mess overnight and clean it up in the am so I think we will be fine. Well, if we ever thought about THAT, we won't now! :)

Can't wait to see your pictures.

My dh finally got to actually touch the slabs on Thursday. The loved how smooth they were compared to our Bianco Antico. The BA had gorgeous mica in it that you could feel and it felt a little rough in those spots. Never bothered us, but he is in love with the smoothness of this.

Have a great day all.

Bee

o

totally FAB!... can't believe how fast your project is coming together! I started planning around the same time as you and still am finalizing the cabinet order (placed two weeks ago but I'm still tweeking!!). Can't wait to be at the point you are at.

All of your choices are so beautiful! can't wait to see the finished pics.

o

Stunning! that stone is to die for both in looks and size! I am so jealous - I couldn't find any up our way. I ended up going with a Danby and the biggest slab I could get was 106".

Your kitchen is beautiful! It has such a serene feel already.

o

Bee
Awesome!!! Zowie!!!
That is one beautiful kitchen!!
Can't wait to see more updates. Soon, you will be at the ABBS stage - but I bet you already have a BS in mind (All but Back Splash)

o

Bee
Super kitchen!! I am new to this forum and just picked up the magazine with your other fab kitchen! Lady you are a rock star!
I am in PA too and am considering the cabinet maker you had do your kitchen. Would you use them again?
But who is your stone supplier/fabricator. My local yard has a similar stone in ""Vermont"" something and we are also considering soapstone from Bucks County Soapstone but are really torn because our current granite is SO maintainance free. But I need a soft white/grey stone.
I would pay to come see your kitchen and feel that stone!! hint hint

o

ppbenn,

I used Dutch Wood for my kitchen, 2 bathrooms and laundry room and would use them again. I NEVER heard NO from them. Amazing construction, and installation crew. They are 1.5 hours from me, most of the communication was via e-mail.

Tom

o

ppbenn-Like Tom, Beagles, and some others here, we used Dutch Wood for the cabinets. You won't be disappointed.

The granite fabricator we used is Stone Masters in Kennett Square. They usually like to stick to a 50 mile radius. I think they will go outside of that if it is a big job.

You are welcome any time to come see my kitchen. (I'll have to give you the garage code to the old house if that's the one you want to go see though....lol)

Bee

o

I'm really thinking about super white!!!!
I'm not sure if it will be ok with my family and all the mess.
Also, I'm making a table with a 15" overhang and also using it on the island..
a 10" overhang. both will have steel brackets underneath...
As it is, I'm a little weary about the sturdiness.. The steel brackets are supposed to be strong enough though...
Any one who has this, please tell me if it's a great/ not great idea.. I love the look.

o

Jo666 - we have a 15" overhang and used the Counter Balance supports underneath and have Super White (actually ours was called Moon Night). So far so good - been installed about a year and we have 3 kids and LOTS of parties.

And here is our almost complete kitchen. Just ordered the Beveled Arabesque (like Bee's last kitchen) for our backsplash and need crown moulding. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0623233929457.html?20

Here is a link that might be useful: Island and Counter Balance install

o

Mine is etching.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I tested a sample, it didn't etch. I have rings from a can. It's very faint, we are trying to be more careful. I now have trays everywhere, and crystal coasters in the middle of the island.

I'm considering covering it with plastic wrap for the house warming party. I mean, Costco does sell the wide rolls and all....

o

Don't forget the clear vinyl for the chairs.

o

Oh no, Bee! It's etching. But. It. Can't. It's such a beautiful stone, it just can't etch. :(

How disappointing after you tested a sample and it was fine. Was the sample from your slab or from another one?

o

andreak, it was from another slab.

marcolo--touche'

o

Bee - mine just started etching as well. It didn't (except for a tiny spot from a lemon left overnight) until our Memorial Day party. We made Beergaritas which have lots of fresh lime juice and I didn't realize people were spilling all around the dispenser. I wonder if it started etching because it was time to be sealed again? I hadn't sealed it since it was first installed, and we've had several parties and had no big etching until now. But since our stone has a honed finish I'm probably the only one who can tell it has etched, and even then it's only when i'm looking at a certain angle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here