Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhousegirl_gw

What are the current 'in' range/stoves?

farmhousegirl
9 years ago

Hi!

We did a kitchen remodel about 6 years ago, and now we are building a new home. I remember Wolf was the stove everyone drooled over 6-7 years ago....which is what we put in. I liked my Wolf, but am thinking maybe I'd like to try a different brand this time. What are the 'in' stoves today?

We are doing a farmhouse style home with a front porch..very simple, nothing fancy. White kitchen. DH doesn't like the vintage looking stoves (even though I do.) What's the latest?

Comments (15)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

To me, "in" is something that works well (simple), doesn't make a lot of racket doing it (noisy oven-cooling fans), and doesn't fail when doing something it is supposed to do (self-cleaning features). The "latest" seems to be cramming as many electronic features into an appliance as you can fit, and then some. You may find yourself missing that 7-year old Wolf.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

smeg

• crl_
    9 years ago

Have you checked out induction? Take a look at the induction threads in the appliances forum.

• farmhousegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not fond of too much 'stuff'...settings, electronics, etc. I just want a basic stove, but the kitchen will be pretty high end, so we want to do something commercial/professional looking. I do prefer gas for cooking.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

Look at Blue Star. About as simple as it gets.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Lacanche. Lots of different configurations for burners, ovens, warming ovens, grill. Many colors and sizes too. Simple no nonsense operation. Professional power, yet beautiful. Love mine. I can finally fit multiple 12-14 inch pots and pans on my rangetop at the same time! Not cheap, but when I looked at 48" ranges (which were too large for my space, but the only more common ranges that had the options I wanted) the price difference didnt seem that much...and the sheer beauty of Lacanche on top of its capabilities, once I figured out it was a possibility, there was no going back.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

OMG, that is one gorgeous stove!

• crl_
    9 years ago

I preferred gas too. Until I tried induction.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

crl, me too - I'm a convert!

• silken1
    9 years ago

I never did use gas but I sure love my GE Profile induction range. The oven has convection and regular baking choice. It is very easy to figure the settings and it comes with a warming oven below. I don't use the warming oven often (it is shallow like a storage drawer) but have appreciated it a few times. I guess its not 'professional' but it seems to work well and I cook and bake a lot.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Induction is in. Also a convert. And am stuck with gas in our beach house.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

OOTM - Love your counter top and back splash. Do you mind sharing? Thank you.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Thanks sjhockey and nightowlrn. The counter is Fantasy Brown (mine is marble not quartzite) the tile is Rixi - Mandorla (sp?)

The thing I dont think I could get used to with induction is always cooking "by the numbers" I can look at the flame and judge it. I guess using the numbers is the same really, just feels different. Induction does seem great around small kids though for sure. We also lose power a lot where we live, so gas is really nice.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I am completely clueless to ranges but that LaCanche just made my mouth water! Wow! I am afraid to price them....

• Gooster
    9 years ago

When I was shopping, a showroom that works with a lot of higher end custom builds and remodels said that Wolf was still pretty popular in my area. Your area may vary. It's interesting what we see here amongst the TKO and the food-centric forums (like chowhound) might not mirror more mainstream trends. Here we'll see Bluestar, Capital, and Lacanche -- which in house shopping and online pictures I see very rarely.

For the record, I chose a CornuFe in stainless. .