Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
backinus

looking for amish cabinet maker in Lancaster, pa

backinus
14 years ago

I live reasonable distance from Lancaster, Pa, and thinking of building my kitchen with amish cabinet makers. Anyone has a contact name and address of a cabinet maker in that area? anyone has experience with them?

Comments (16)

• hisgal2
    14 years ago

Well, if your looking for a real Amish maker, they don't have phones, so you'd have to actually find them and talk with them. There is a maker in Hanover, PA called Del-wood Kitchens, Inc. They make a line called Lakeview Cabinetry (might be able to Google some pictures with that name??) They make good cabinets and they make only about 50 cabs a day, so each cabinet is getting good attention. Their Shaker II is gorgeous, IMO. Their website sucks, to be honest (looks like the guy's nephew made it, but it's a family place, so that tells ya something, I guess), but I have seen their cabinets and they are VERY nice. Not sure where exactly you are...I'm outside of Williamsport and there is a show room there with their cabs. Anyways, Del-wood is the only one that I know of just because I never paid much attention to that stuff when I lived in that area.

Del-wood Kitchens, Inc
    1856 Dubs Church Rd.
    Hanover, Pa 17331
    fax-717.637.6983

I have been told that if you call them and tell them that you are interested in their cabinets and really want to, that they will give you a tour of their facility. Our 'designer' said that one of his other customers were actually able to go there and tour while their own cabinets were being made and were able to take pictures and everything...which I thought was pretty cool

Here is a link that might be useful: Del-Wood Kitchens

• footballmom
    14 years ago

JH Myers and sons is a really big seller of Del-Wood cabs. They do run more than some custom made cabinets. I was going to use them, but they were not custom and were almost as much as some of the custom I priced. They are really nice though. I found custom shops by going to the local farmers market in Shrewsbury and asking some of the craftsmen. I local friend had custom from Amish by contacting a few local general contractors.. try that....

• gail428
    14 years ago

We had custom cabinets built by a company in Akron, PA - not Amish, but they did excellent work - I couldn't be happier - LMS Woodcraft, 717-859-1909

• mom3suns
    14 years ago

We had our custom cabinets made by Paradise Custom Kitchens in Paradise, Pa, mere minutes from Lancaster. They are beautiful cabinets. I can't say enough good things about Paradise. The installation took only four weeks and went without a snag. It was a pleasure dealing with their professionals!

• backinus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks everyone, i will try all your leads, and let you know about it...

• Stop Hacking my account
    8 years ago

Oxford cabinet doors come from Meridian, stain color can vary from sample!

8 years ago

Painted doors may NOT be wood but MDF board, the honest Amish not always. Disappointing since I paid for paintable maple. I wanted to change paint color and that's how I discovered MDF.

• birdie234
    8 years ago

Are you referring to custom made cabinets from Oxford Cabinet Shop? Are they not custom made on- site? And did the order say maple and you did not get maple? I am thinking of using them- I would like to know about your experience, please.

• murchkid
    8 years ago

Please expand on your comments, behappyexhale. I am also considering Oxford and thus far, yours are the only negative comments I've come across. Thanks

8 years ago

I had a full custom kitchen from Oxford cabinet shop, I did NOT get the MDF slip up from them. I got maple with a glaze finish inset cabinets. However, the reason why I got other cabinet doors was to correct doors I was not happy with from Oxford cabinet shop. I am a particular person, and wall with these doors bowed a bit and I should have just left them alone for what I went through afterwards. I spent so much time and money trying to correct a pair because my stain color came out more gold than bamboo so color didn't match, second round doors had two panels of bead board than my three panels. No one explained it would be tricky to match, just took my money. They tired of me quickly. Amish are good at structures, not fine details. I was very happy with my bath cabinets. About stainable quality verses paintable, stain type wood should have a consistent overall appearance, paintable wood is less because you will see a diiffernce where they butt up against one another, darker sections. Yes, a few doors of mine fell in the category of paintable quality. Fly markings was another issue, depends on time of year, barns are close to workshops. Big manufactures can afford to spend on high tech equipment. Just paid for 2nd house small kitchen for a lower budget 20% off ( runs few times a year) 10x10 Home Depot Thomasville Studio 1904 new line, 36" super Susan, built in double wood utility drawer etc. Paradise Kitchens have great reputation.

8 years ago

My stain 10x10 $3548

• murchkid
    8 years ago

Thank you for your review b.h.e

• birdie234
    8 years ago

Thanks BHE. How long ago did you do your kitchen? I am considering an Executive kitchen from a local KD vs Oxford's custom. Price seems around the same. Do you feel you got a better quality from the factory made cabinets?

8 years ago

2004, better customer service and quality control perhaps. Factories vary too especially finishes particularly paint finishes. Staining to me is safer and not fast dated & better for resale. Amish order the doors from a manufacturer, I didn't know it at the time. They don't have the equipment to produce doors. They make the boxes. Good material matters: Blum hardware, dove tail & full extension drawers, plywood at least for sink base in case of plumbing issue. Furniture board swells. Plywood adds 20% to price. There are articles out there comparing, some engineers think the furniture board ( Not press board) is strong and good enough. All exposed sides should be plywood w veneers if not all furniture wood. There are ways to save and put towards the things that really matter.

• birdie234
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for your quick response. I guess I need to think it through some more. I believe the Oxford cabinets are plywood, but I will double check.