Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp_gw

Drawers in the sink base cabinet

muskokascp
12 years ago

I will have a long length of drawers with windows above and no uppers at all. For visual continuity we want to avoid a cabinet under the sink and stay with a drawer or drawer look. The kitchen cabinet company rep has suggested they could do a door that looks like the drawer fronts but is hinged and opens like a door. Problem I see with this is the size of the cabinet is 32". This seems like an awfully wide door that will be a PITA to use when you are standing at the sink and want to get something in the cabinet.

I know there must be an alternative to the door. If they were real drawers how should I ask them to be made. What about a pull out instead - is this still too wide?

The island sink will have a regular cabinet under it but it is not visible from the rest of the kitchen so it doesn't matter to me.

Help me avoid a door cabinet on the clean up sink please!

Comments (10)

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

Well, what about two of those cabinet doors that are made to look like drawers? So they would look like three (or two) short drawers next to three more (or two more) short drawers. With the pipes and possibly a garbage disposal, I don't think you have much of a choice but to get doors.

• sandn
    12 years ago

Hi Muskokascp,
    It can be done. We have a 30" cabinet and an 8" deep undermount sink. Our cabinetmaker made two pullouts on heavy duty Blum undermount slides, with scooped out sides to accommodate the plumbing. Our sink has a rear drain and our plumber helped to keep the water lines and trap out of the way. Here are some pictures:

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Here is a drawer under the sink:
    {{!gwi}}

And another:
    {{!gwi}}

There is just a cut-out for the plumbing. We thought about doing this, except we have all drawers except the two sink cabinets so wanted a visual break from drawers.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

nice photos !

it is possible also to have a drawer with an un-notched floor and a notch in the back panel instead. This is if the drain pipe under the sink strainer turns (a tight bend) to go horizontal. Then the pipe goes to the notch the back panel of the drawer. It won't work with a garbage disposer because the GD takes up too much space.

Here is a link that might be useful: got rid of the musty cave of noxious chemicals under sink

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

sandn, I love your solution! Looks functional and pretty.

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sandn - I love your pull outs and the towel rack above them. My space is 32" wide so it may be too wide for a single pull out.

beagles - those are EXACTLY what I am looking for. I will forward them to the cabinet company and hope they can do this for me. Thanks so much.

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

davidro 1 - didn't mean to leave you out - sorry. I read that post when it was on the 1st page, and read it again and tried very hard to visualize your descriptions ( which were nicely detailed btw) but I am a visual learner and just couldn't get the picture in my mind of how you did this. A picture as they say is worth a thousand words!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

So glad muskokascp :) I'll wait to see finished pictures of your pretty kitchen with drawers :)

• sandn
    12 years ago

Thanks, Chicagoans.
    And, Muskokascp, I originally wanted a single big pull-out but was talked out of it and I'm glad. The units are quite heavy. We can fit 2 bins(garbage/recycling/compost) in each pull-out. The towel bar beneath the sink is one of my favourite features of the kitchen. I hate having wet hands and searching for a towel. Having two pull-outs means I can shunt the towel from side to side on the bar to avoid them getting caught. It's worked out really well.
    I like the units Beagles posted, too, but I really wanted the garbage under the sink.
    I hope you find the perfect solution.

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sandn - what sink did you put as an undermount? I am trying to find an 8-9" undermount single bowl sink but the only ones I can find are all 10" deep. Do you have a single bowl and will your cookie sheets fit in it flat to wash?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!