Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A little off topic - mudroom cabinetry/storage

Posted by lafacia (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 18:20

I decided not to have the cabinet maker make cabinets for the mudroom - too expensive. But now I'm not sure what to do. Pottery Barn has some lockers that could be fun. Or I could just have closets built. I need the storage to house sports equipment for three kids. Anyone have any suggestions or photos?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A little off topic - mudroom cabinetry/storage

We just had a closet framed out and then DH made shelves and cubbies for our various ''stuff''. It doesn't hold all our gear by any stretch of the imagination, but works well for whatever we are using (mostly) for the current season.
 photo IMG_0763.jpg
 photo IMG_0320.jpg
I used some baskets that I had for hats, gloves and scarves, bought a boot tray, hung hooks and a rod, and my old wine rack even fit in there-and that was totally unplanned. No kids here but we used to have gear strewn everywhere. This corrals it a little.

o

Mine is more of a mud hallway that connects my garage to my kitchen. It's about 6 feet wide and I have shelves on one side, hooks on the other. I'll post the shelf wall below. The shelves on the left (actually you can't see them because they are above the bulletin board) are 10 inches deep and the shelves on the right are 16 inches deep. This hides the 6-inch bumpout of the refrigerator on the opposite side of the wall (hope that makes sense). The black cabinet is a shoe holder from Ikea and the colorful boxes are from Crate and Barrel. I already had the magnetic bulletin board and it fit perfectly.

o

It's not that exciting, but here is the hook wall on the opposite side. It's hard to tell, but half the hooks are about 3 feet from the floor and half are about 5 feet from the floor. My kids are supposed to put their backpacks on the floor there. Most shoes are stored on the shelf wall - there are a couple open shelves at the bottom for shoes.

o

I bought some lockers at IKEA. Each kid gets 1 set for shoes, bags (sports and backpacks) and various items that were always thrown all over.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I also have a set of hooks along the other wall.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosHere in Michigan we sometimes need 3 seasons of coats/sweatshirts in one day, so we need lots of hooks!

o

We haven't lived with it yet, but this are our new cubbies that the trim carpenter built. It was much less than the cabinet guys quote for the same think. There will be three hooks inside each section and I have a basket for underneath for each person as well as a small basket for one of the smaller cubbies for winter gear, sunglasses and other things. The cabinet in he foreground is our mail drop area. I imagine the answering machine, notepads and junk drawers will reside here.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Here is our version of the mudroom. Eventually we'll have lockers/shelves/bench built, but this is working great for now. We used barnwood from my grandparents 100 year old barn, so it's sentimental and makes me smile.

o

My mudroom hasn't been fully planned out yet, but I'm very tempted to try something like these lockers out of Ikea BILLY bookcases. For more further storage, it's probably some high cabinets, also from Ikea. Can you tell I live ten minutes away from one?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here