Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threepinktrees

Need help with this awful layout!

threepinktrees
9 years ago

I posted a bit ago but am back because our backup offer was accepted and we close in 30 days!

So, here's the layout, but the correct measurements are below.

You were really close buehl!
Along the wall with the window where you have 153" it's actually 161. I did not measure the window but we plan to widen it anyway.

The fridge wall actually is only 78"' not 87". That is measuring to the end of the fridge, which extends a bit past the cabinet above it.

The peninsula is 81" from wall to the end of the counter.

The room is 118" from the window to the wall. That wall is shared with the stairwell and can't move.

The walkway opening between dining and kitchen is 40".

The peninsula is 35" wide.

The dining area is 11'5" from the wall with the exit door to the peninsula.

I didn't measure the area where the tiny door (to a pantry is). We can just use your guesses for now. I would be okay with getting rid of that tiny pantry and the coat closet behind it (access from the living room). There is a lot of storage in the house. Of course, if we can make the kitchen work without that, also great.

I don't know yet if the soffit hides much wiring, but it does not hide hvac, so I think we could get rid of it completely and just recess the wiring.

Comments (10)

• threepinktrees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A photo

• threepinktrees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More

• threepinktrees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

What do you plan to do for the dining area? A standard table with chairs or possibly a banquette (one wall or corner)?

The reason I ask...you could have a longer island (and maybe seating on that end) if your dining table was moved closer to the end with the door.

I like all your windows! Congrats on getting your house :)

• threepinktrees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My plan right now is to have my husband make a table that's actually two skinny tables that can be together for us and then split into two with guests, if that make sense.

I thought about a corner banquette set-up like you mentioned, but we have six kids and I just don't know if it's realistic.

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

Congrats on getting the house now you know it was meant to be! I wish I could help you but I posted my own layout which is almost identical to yours. Everyone is advising me to flip the spaces so your dining would become the kitchen. Any possibility with something like that?

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Congratulations on getting your house! I know how much you loved it and saw it's potential!

I don;t have anything to offer, but will be following. I LOVE the suggestions given to bluerdgddrs to flip the spaces. What a difference that can make!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

That's a great idea!

Maybe something like this? I could only show the dining room in this layout, but perhaps the fridge could go next to the door, with sink under the window...and drop in range on the island. You have a lot more room here, so you could curve the island and give any stools plenty of space from the range.

If there's space, you could add an oven/microwave on the counter run, closest to the banquette. Or swap it with fridge. It's difficult to see without the dimensions...but just a few ideas :)

Oh, and one long banquette with six kids will definitely work...since you can add a leaf to the table and have three chairs on the other side. The 'buffet' across from it could be your baking area, as well. Hope this helps... {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Your kitchen sort of reminds me of mine, but rearranged a little. I have my double ovens at the end of the peninsula, with the cooktop and an island hood in the center. Maybe something like this would work for you?

• threepinktrees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all!

While I love the idea of switching the dining and kitchen, I don't think we can do it in this case. There is no plumbing anywhere on that side of the house and I think it would destroy the remodel budget if I had to move it all over.

I do think moving the double ovens to the peninsula would look nicer, but my main goal is bigger stretches of counter space, so I'm thinking I will have to lose the double ovens and cooktop and switch to a range.

Would it be better to put the range where the double ovens are now or on the very end of the peninsula? Should I get rid of the small pantry and living room coat closet and move the kitchen down two feet that way, recessing the fridge as well? Or would that trouble, expense, and loss of storage really not buy me much counter space?