Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teehee1984

Off White Cabs? What did you do with your trim color?

Teehee1984
9 years ago

I am about to order Kraftmaid cabinets in their canvas color, which is a richer, more creamy white. It looks white...until you see it against something white.

My kitchen opens to the family room which has white crown moulding and vinyl white sliders (2) . There are also four white vinyl windows that form a bay window/bump out in the kitchen area. The floors are red oak throughout.

The new cabinets are going to the ceiling, with its own matching crown moulding/trim.

How is this off white/canvas going to look with white that I can't change (doors/windows)? It won't be touching, but it won't be far, either.

Anyone have this concern? How did you deal with it? Problem/non-problem?

Can you share your pix?

Thanks so much!!

Comments (8)

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Teehee1984, you ask a very good question I can't recall coming across previously on any GW forum. Let me begin by offering a disclaimer that there are others on the forum whose decorating expertise far surpasses mine so they may have a better answer. I installed Kraftmaid Biscotti with Cocoa Glaze cabinets in my kitchen, formal dining room, master bath and for a custom fireplace mantle in the family room 2 1/2 yrs ago. Matching cabinets for the family room were ordered less than a week ago to complete the project. In my small patio home, the kitchen, breakfast and family room are all one open area. As in your home, all woodwork is painted white. My walls are painted a soft gold so the Biscotti transitions nicely into the gold. I resolved the color differential between the cream and the white in two ways:
    1. Use of a lot of white accessories -- For example, in my glass cabinet in the kitchen only white china and two white bird figurines are displayed. For the family room cabinets I've collected various tropical bird figurines, all in stark white. There will also be a few cream pieces since this is a larger display area.
    2. Trying to bring both colors completely around each room so that there is consistent flow. Photos could certainly show this better than words, but I haven't tried to post photos on GW yet and don't have time to try to learn at the moment as am busy with work. The white woodwork obviously goes entirely around each room. An example of purposefully doing this with the Biscotti is installing a 7" deep shelf, near the ceiling, along two adjacent walls in the breakfast room. I'll include a few white accessories on those shelves among other items. My new cabinet installation will begin in about a month and may take as long as 3 weeks since the cabinet counters have to be templated after the bases are installed. I could work on posting the photos for you at that time. How soon will your kitchen remodel begin?
    By the way, I ordered a few KM cabinets in Canvas for a bedroom as part of this upcoming remodel. It's a lovely color but still does not quite match the woodwork in my house either. Anyway, hope all of this rambling helps. Let me finish by saying that your new kitchen will be so beautiful that the difference from the woodwork will most likely be only a small blip on your radar since both colors will be in the white category.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Take a door to the paint store and have them color match it. Easy peasey!

• mrsmortarmixer
    9 years ago

I painted my trim to match the kitchen cabinets (without glaze), and then continued the same color throughout the rest of the trim in the house. I also have white vinyl windows. This is kind of a paint/trim in progress pic, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like. My cabinets aren't white either. More of an off-white/taupe-y color.

• Teehee1984
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your responses! Texasgal47, I was thinking I would have to do something like that....get the wall color closer to the cab color so it flows. Or (like mrsmortarmixer) bring the trim down to the cab color....but I really like white trim and have it throughout my house.

Texasgal47-- I too have to redo my fireplace surround/mantel. I was thinking of painting it white (to match the two white sliders it sits between) but the fireplace is that ugly golden oak (like my cabs) and I don't know how that would work.

All good advice. I just don't want the room to look like I tried to match whites but failed, if you know what I mean, it is so much money I can let myself screw this up!!

Thank you!!

• mermanmike
    9 years ago

I have cream cabinets too. We decided to make the trim cream but much darker cream than the cabinets. I didn't want it to be the same, but I didn't want it to be a totally different color either. My kitchen pictures are linked below. The color of the trim is Picture Frame Cream by Old Village Paints.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mermanmike's kitchen

• brightm
    9 years ago

Great question teehee1984!

I got white windows a few months ago. Most of my house is what I believe to be Swiss Coffee. I really, really tried to avoid white windows, thinking they'd look horrible with this, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

Now, however, as I embark on various remodeling projects (both inside and out), there's this whole round of thinking about whether to go a pure white to match the windows, or enough of a white to contrast, or avoid that kind of color all together.

We got new exterior doors (front, kitchen, and dining room) which have not yet been finished or installed and I was talking to the guy who's finishing the doors. He suggested white for the inside of the kitchen door, based on the windows. It's a single light door, so there's not a lot of wood. It's kind of like a big window. So maybe it should be white? I'm just having a hard time seeing it. (Current door has no glass.) Then I guess I'd do white trim? Alternately, I just go with a more updated off-white and don't worry about the white windows since they don't stick out to me now. (Cabinets will be natural cherry, granite has some white in it...Mesquite with a large amount of white 'rocks' in it)

He might have suggested white for the inside of all the doors and changing all the trim to white. I can't recall. The only decision I've made is that for the exterior of the house, the trim will be a fairly pure white.

Inside though...still struggling. Look forward to what others have to say.

• fouramblues
    9 years ago

Below is a discussion about this with good insights and good pictures.

As for me, I have ivory cream cabs and stark white trim, and I'm very happy with it. No crown to complicate the issue, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Off white cab / white trim thread

• Teehee1984
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your help.

I think I need to shoot for something like this (kraftmaid canvas and white trim)...lighter wall color and bring the white into the room with something else.