Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewnice50

Backsplash Marble subway tile question

sewnice50
11 years ago

I saw a polished "statuary" marble subway tile and I fell in love with it, but my DH is not careful about tomato sauce and grease when he is cooking. (He is a really good cook.) I have been told you can seal it, but will I be sorry I did this white marble? I could also choose polished carrera.

My second choice is just plain ceramic white subway with white grout. Again tomato sauce on white grout will I be sorry?

My third choice is frosted glass. Does it clean up well or does it show grease stains?

If anyone has any experience with these types of tile. I would love the feedback.

Thanks, Sue

Comments (14)

• dseng
    11 years ago

Epoxy grout would address your fears from that quarter - it won't stain.

• texaspenny
    11 years ago

I have the same question as the OP. We are planning to have soapstone countertops, and it seems like the prettiest backsplashes are always the Carrera marble ones. But, if you splash grease or tomato sauce on it and let it sit overnight, will it stain? The one reply here only addresses the grout question. Any additional info from the marble backsplash people would be great.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Etching does happen on backsplashes especially around the cooking area, however most say it's barely noticeable to other people. Honed would probably work better than polished as far as the etches being noticeable. Polished makes the etches stand out in the right light.

Staining is certainly possible but if the marble is sealed well most don't really have that issue from what I understand...

• fivefootzero
    11 years ago

I have soapstone with carrera marble backsplash. It was put in a year ago. No issues with staining or anything. We sealed with the 5-1-1 sealer. Here's a pic.

• sewnice50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fivefootzero,
    Your counters and backspash are gorgeous. Did you use the epoxy grout dseng mentioned?
    Thank you for posting the pictures.
    sewnice50

• sewnice50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fivefootzero,
    Your counters and backspash are gorgeous. Did you use the epoxy grout dseng mentioned?
    Thank you for posting the pictures.
    sewnice50

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Sewnice:

I know several people with marble backsplashes.
    The only ones with trouble from staining
    are the ones with pro-style ranges that vent
    on the top/back of the range,
    emitting heat and steam directly onto the marble backsplash.

• sewnice50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Francoise47,
    I have an old Thermador dual fuel that vents at the back top of the range. I will have to explore this further.
    It's so good to have your input. I never would have guessed that to be an issue.

Thanks,
    Sewnice50

• francoise47
    11 years ago

My friend with the problem with staining has an all gas range, not a dual fuel.
    So perhaps yours will be OK?

• fivefootzero
    11 years ago

FWIW, I have an all gas range. It has a vent in the center on the top towards the rear. No issues (could also be because I have that tray there...but the tray doesn't have any staining or residue on it either).

And no, I didn't use epoxy grout.

• sewnice50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fivefootzero,

The oven we have does emit what looks like steam when we cook, the oven is electric, the burners are gas.

I think my main concern would be my husband's French frying everything except pasta. How does one successfully clean grease off of polished carrera marble? I don't want to become a nag if the carrera is going to be hard to keep looking beautiful.

I want the look of your kitchen, it's so beautiful.

• fivefootzero
    11 years ago

Sewnice: You might be able to get the best of both worlds if you maybe find complimenting tiles...in different materials. Maybe for the majority of the kitchen do the carrera and then for behind the stove you could use a different but complimentary stone that wouldn't have the staining properties that marble does. I know they make soapstone subways at M. Tex (I saw them when I was there). You could maybe put those behind the stove, with the marble everywhere else. Or, you can put a tray behind the stove like I did. I didn't put it there for that reason, but I think if I ever did splash something like tomato sauce or the like, it would be better protected than with nothing there. But again, I did seal mine...which should provide some level of protection.

Thanks so much for the compliment...I walk in to our kitchen and smile...I never thought with all the different components involved that it could turn out exactly how I pictured.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

FiveFootZero - Where did you get your tiles? Just lovely!

• karyn123
    11 years ago

I have a wolf gas range that sits up against white carerra marble and it has burned-where the oven vents. interested in any information as to why this happens and how to fix!! saw this post from above:

Posted by francoise47 (My Page) on Mon, May 21, 12 at 11:07
    Hi Sewnice:
    I know several people with marble backsplashes.
    The only ones with trouble from staining
    are the ones with pro-style ranges that vent
    on the top/back of the range,
    emitting heat and steam directly onto the marble backsplash.

please help!