Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cicely_2010

Soapstone-mineral oil or wax?

cicely_2010
13 years ago

My fabricator just e-mailed me an article from Dorado Soapstone recommending wax over mineral oil. What do you that already have soapstone think? What about the soapstone experts? Which is best? Has there already been discussion about this? Sorry if I am repeating.

Comments (21)

• scrappy25
    13 years ago

I have a sample piece from Philly soapstone that they put on both the oil and the wax for me two weeks ago. The oil has evaporated or disappeared but the waxed area is still dark and feels smoother. It didn't look hard to put on at all - she just dipped a cloth in the wax jar and rubbed it on for a few seconds. The only problem is that their wax has walnut oil and I have a child with peanut allergies so that may be a contraindication.
    HTH

• cotehele
    13 years ago

I used the bottle of mineral oil supplied by the fabricator. The finish does not last long and it doesn't have the soft dry feel the soapstone has. Several people (including Joshua) recommended beeswax and mineral oil by Clapham among other brands. Some people make it themselves. It lasts much longer (weeks vs. days) and feels soft and not oily. I do not mind the process of putting it on and polishing when it dries. If I am short on time, I'll do a counter a day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clapham's on Amazon

• jcla
    13 years ago

My counters are new. I oiled them the first time, but now I'm using the beeswax/oil combination. I love the silky feel of the counters.

• morgne
    13 years ago

I use my cooking oil so probably organic safflower. LOL!

• katieob
    13 years ago

Hi.

Per someone on here's rec (Pluckymama maybe?), I ordered the Dry Wax from Dorado & love it. I think I've used it twice and it's been at least 3 months & I still don't need to reapply. Smooth results.

Katie

• lauriec
    13 years ago

hi, just used beekeepers gold on my ss counters - and i like it more than oil. takes a little more elbow grease to put on but is not shiny - part of why i like soapstone is that it is matte, not reflective.

and, had one of those days when putting on the wax was very soothing..

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

I'm a die-hard non-oiler. I find it unnecessary for my type of soapstone. I don't mind the one less step. I do have to remove oil spatters with a de-greaser (Simple Green brand).
    Mine is Alberene "Church Hill" variety, quarried in Virginia. America's only active soapstone quarries.

casey

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Are you "oiling" it to get it darker? If so, here's a useful thread from late 2007 by our good friend Florida_Joshua!

Here is a link that might be useful: What keeps soapstone darker longer. . .The answer! ! !

• donatelolee
    13 years ago

there is a YouTube video that explains everything Dry Wax vs. Oil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyx55JXyagM

the guy even makes a note xyz days after applying both the oil and the wax and you can tell the results.

• Alberene_Soapstone
    11 years ago

Alberene Soapstone recommends their new dry wax product. http://www.alberenesoapstone.com/shop-soapstone/dry-wax

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry Wax info page

• dee7dee
    9 years ago

We have used the Dorado Soapstone wax/oil for over a year with our new counters. I applied twice leaving a thick film on overnight..then used paper towels to wipe off. THE COUNTERS ARE AMAZING....GLOWING....ALL THE VEINS SHOWING...DEEP BLACK...FEEL SO SMOOTH AND LUXURIOUS...WITHOUT AN OILY FEELING! When you first start the process ..the surface needs to be waxed every couple of months but This last time it had been over six months. I now apply lightly...leave over night and wipe off. I highly rec. this product...my only concern is their pricing....at $39.95 for a small plastic container...it is very expensive...however...once the soapstone is treated...it looks beautiful and last a long time. It is worth it to us!

• Buehl
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Post from Alberene_Soapstone: SPAM!!

Not sure about "dee7dee" - s/he hasn't posted since 2013 on Houzz. It sounds an awful like SPAM as well!

For those looking for an oiling answer, a repeat of my post above (Florida_Joshua is a long-time poster on GW Kitchens and has been a tremendous help over the years - and his wife as well, although she didn't post quite as often):

Are you "oiling" it to get it darker? If so, here's a useful thread from late 2007 by our good friend Florida_Joshua!

Here is a link that might be useful: What keeps soapstone darker longer. . .The answer! ! !

• dee7dee
    9 years ago

Haven't posted in quite a while...just polished our soapstone counters this week and thought I would share our experience with Dorado soapstone polish. Our countertops look beautiful and retain that appearance for months. Those who enjoy having soapstone love the veining ....this polish does not cover up...it enhances. (Also like that it is all natural)

• poneill329
    7 years ago

I used milk paint's wax and it looks splotchy. Now what?

• billszo6
    7 years ago

I just used Milk paints Soapstone wax and it dries very splotchy. Did anyone else have this same problem? If so how do I fix?

• Stacey M
    7 years ago

I just had soapstone installed a few weeks ago (PA), I used the Milk Paints wax as well. It looked a little splotchy when first applied, but I think that was from it not being sufficiently buffed. Once properly buffed it looked great, and I found it easier to rub in if the wax was on the softer/warmer side. I still haven't really used the counters yet though, their currently covered in cardboard until the reno is completed.

• billszo6
    7 years ago

I wonder if the jar I bought is defective as it is very soft and runny

• Stacey M
    7 years ago

Mine is similar to the consistency of solidified oil- kind of like coconut oil. I also noticed that the texture and color of the counter was more consistent after the second application.

• billszo6
    7 years ago

Thanks for the information. I will try another coat.

• cevamal
    7 years ago

I've had soapstone counters for three years and have tried oil as well as a variety of waxes.

Most recently I made my own and I'm never going back! The price difference is astounding. I've used Alberene's dry wax, Clapham's, and I think one other. I like waxes better than oils but I haven't had a preference (other than price) among the waxes. The key is to use as little as possible and buff it completely. If you have an area of the counter that seems lighter don't try to keep piling wax on. Just put on a thin coat and leave it alone. It'll darken in a few minutes.

This is the recipe I used with this beeswax. Since I have a sous vide setup for cooking I melted the wax in that, but you could also do it like in the recipe.