Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soapstone-mineral oil or wax?

Posted by cicely_2010 (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 18:08

My fabricator just e-mailed me an article from Dorado Soapstone recommending wax over mineral oil. What do you that already have soapstone think? What about the soapstone experts? Which is best? Has there already been discussion about this? Sorry if I am repeating.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soapstone-mineral oil or wax?

You can use either. I prefer the Beekeepers Gold by William-Sonoma. It's a blend of beeswax and mineral oil. It seems to keep darker longer with this product. The oil is fine but for me it looks so blotchy when evaporating and it just seems too greasy. I can't find the beekeepers gold on their website but I bought mine at the store. It is a bit of a pain to put on, just fyi!

o

I have a sample piece from Philly soapstone that they put on both the oil and the wax for me two weeks ago. The oil has evaporated or disappeared but the waxed area is still dark and feels smoother. It didn't look hard to put on at all - she just dipped a cloth in the wax jar and rubbed it on for a few seconds. The only problem is that their wax has walnut oil and I have a child with peanut allergies so that may be a contraindication.
HTH

o

I used the bottle of mineral oil supplied by the fabricator. The finish does not last long and it doesn't have the soft dry feel the soapstone has. Several people (including Joshua) recommended beeswax and mineral oil by Clapham among other brands. Some people make it themselves. It lasts much longer (weeks vs. days) and feels soft and not oily. I do not mind the process of putting it on and polishing when it dries. If I am short on time, I'll do a counter a day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clapham's on Amazon

o

My counters are new. I oiled them the first time, but now I'm using the beeswax/oil combination. I love the silky feel of the counters.

o

I use my cooking oil so probably organic safflower. LOL!

o

Hi.

Per someone on here's rec (Pluckymama maybe?), I ordered the Dry Wax from Dorado & love it. I think I've used it twice and it's been at least 3 months & I still don't need to reapply. Smooth results.

Katie

o

hi, just used beekeepers gold on my ss counters - and i like it more than oil. takes a little more elbow grease to put on but is not shiny - part of why i like soapstone is that it is matte, not reflective.

and, had one of those days when putting on the wax was very soothing..

o

I'm a die-hard non-oiler. I find it unnecessary for my type of soapstone. I don't mind the one less step. I do have to remove oil spatters with a de-greaser (Simple Green brand).
Mine is Alberene "Church Hill" variety, quarried in Virginia. America's only active soapstone quarries.
Oilless Soapstone thr33
casey

o

Are you "oiling" it to get it darker? If so, here's a useful thread from late 2007 by our good friend Florida_Joshua!

Here is a link that might be useful: What keeps soapstone darker longer. . .The answer! ! !

o

there is a YouTube video that explains everything Dry Wax vs. Oil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyx55JXyagM

the guy even makes a note xyz days after applying both the oil and the wax and you can tell the results.

o

Alberene Soapstone recommends their new dry wax product. http://www.alberenesoapstone.com/shop-soapstone/dry-wax

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry Wax info page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here