Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Contrasting Hardwood

Posted by P_Bennett (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 18:04

We had a horrible vinyl floor in our kitchen until we just replaced it with 3 1/4" white oak hardwood floors. It looks great. The problem is that our living room, next to the kitchen had 20 year old white oak hardwood in 2 1/4" planks that was impossible to replicate (nor did we want to). So we eventually decided to leave them differently. The color can always be refinished, but any initial thoughts on the contrasting of the hardwood? Looking for honest opinions. Horrible, ok, no big deal.

I can take honest critisism knowing that it still looks 10x better than the crap we had in there before.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Contrasting Hardwood

I don't mind the contrast so much, although the only thing I may have considered would have been to run the direction of new floor perpendicular to the old, so a definite room transition is obvious.

o

Honestly it doesn't look bad. How wide is the opening? If the transition bothers you could you place a rug there?

Your other oak floor that is older still looks to be in great shape, and your new floor is very pretty.

o

The difference in color and size isn't bad.

The transition strip needs to go though. You want the transition to be the same height if possible. Just a simple crosswise board would be enough. If there is a small height difference, then you use a crosswise flat piece that is sawn on a low angle to make the transition as broad as possible.

o

Yes! Live wire hit the nail on the head!

o

Totally fine...

o

Thanks, everyone! The transition strip actually is the same height, there's no bump at all.

o

The only thing I would do is make the transition the width of the entire doorway, not that skinny thing with half the door left in the old wood.

You can cut out the old stuff to make the area wider and insert a flat transition: one plank, or several, running across the opening.

that way it looks like you planned the transition, didn;t just cover up a gap.

o

I think it looks fine.

o

We have the same. The color of your new floor will change some over time and will match your old flooring better. I think it looks fine. I didn't even notice until our GC pointed it out that we had 2 different types of flooring (maple and oak) on our first floor - after 4 years of living there. So yeah, it's not something people notice.

o

The flooring on the left (old) looks like ash, the new looks like red oak. But what do I know?
Casey

o

I like lazygardens idea of widening the transition piece to match the width of the wall/door. It then looks more intentional, and provides a bit more separation of the two widths.

o

@lazygardens - that's a good idea.

Thanks!

o

I don't think it looks bad at all. I do like the idea of putting in a wider transition strip. We have the same issue with our house and I stressed and stressed over it as the transition is in a wide open space. Honestly, no one notices it at all. You eye is drawn higher to the kitchen and counters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here