Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melkel31

granite or Cambria engineered quartz?

melkel31
9 years ago

need to make decision soon and wondering about opinions on the Cambria quartz VS. granite?? I was sold on the Cambra bc of its durability and great ratings but now wondering if we should stick to tried and true granite. any opinions are valued! :)

Comments (55)

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

does anyone know where you can look at LARGE pieces of the quartz (Cambria) in particular? We have only seen the 1 square foot slabs.

We are looking at the Canterbury quartz in particular- I think it has a granite look but not as natural looking...bc it's of course consistent in appearance.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I went with Cambria but previously had installed granite. I was never pleased with the granite's sheen - thought I could always see little fissures in it or something. And it never looked quite clean and dry around my faucets. Like I could never get it sealed well enough. (The actual labor of sealing itself -- jeez. Just not that hard.) So. Now I have Cambria Shirebrook and on the whole, I am happy --- BUT I'd advise you to go choose your slab just like granite and lay your templates. Your local Cambria distributor will have lots of slabs -- at least, ours did. Do not believe them when they say it is "engineered" and therefore consistent. I got some huge gray resin patches in my island that I should probably not have accepted. Check the threads for cambria Shirebrook for pictures and you'll see my old posts. I would still go for the Cambria, though, unless a special granite just calls to you.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks MiLizzie! I will check into seeing the slabs- didn't know you could see the large slabs- hopefully it's somewhere nearby! :)

• beaches1980
    9 years ago

I have Fantastic White Granite in the kitchen and Cambria Torquay in our bathrooms, both are white stones. I do prefer my Granite, although the Torquay is very nice as well.

The sealing process is no more work then wiping/cleaning your countertops. I think Quartz manufactures like to claim granite is lots of work, when in reality there's little to no work involved. Its a sales tactic and it's clearly worked imo.

I prefer the granite since it's natural, has nautural veining and everytime I look at it, its like art from the earth. I also like that I can put hot pots on granite as well as cut directly on it, if I wanted to.

When we installed the quartz in the bathrooms, the designer made mention of my flat iron and curling iron. She said to be careful not to leave them sitting on the quartz too long, although I've had no problems, I think she was just warning me. I don't believe my Quartz has a warranty on heat damage. We picked Quartz for the bathroom, as I needed a specific look and since Quartz is man made in a sense, they had the look I wanted. It's beautiful as well.

So that's my opinion. I'd pick whatever stone speaks to you and whatever stone accomplishes the look you are going for.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I don't understand the high maintenance issues with granite. I've had granite counters and island for twelve years. It was sealed once by the fabricator and I haven't done anything but clean it and it looks like the day it was installed.

We probably should have been more careful with it, but I confess to using Windex to clean it, placing very hot pots directly on it, and even cutting directly on it (DH, not me :) It's in a much used daily from-scratch cooking kitchen. Hot pizza boxes, red wine, lemon juice...you name it, nothing ever stained it. No chips, fissures, nothing but a smooth lustrous finish.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but if I wasn't reconfiguring my kitchen I wouldn't be considering replacing it.

Last week when I was shopping for granite slabs a couple sales reps urged me to switch to quartzite so I could avoid all the maintenance issues with granite. I just don't get it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"I also like that I can put hot pots on granite as well as cut directly on it, if I wanted to."

beaches 1980:

Your behavior is not sanctioned by the Marble Institute of America, the 70-year-old trade association of the natural stone industry. They recommend trivet use for all natural stone countertops to prevent heat damage. I've gotten calls to repair heat damaged stone from pots.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

I've had both, and definitely prefer quartz. In fact, I'm going to remove the granite on my island and replace with quartz. So tired of trying to keep the Blue Pearl looking good. I'm constantly cleaning it, and rubbing out the streaks. I want a white quartz!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Last week when I was shopping for granite slabs a couple sales reps urged me to switch to quartzite so I could avoid all the maintenance issues with granite. I just don't get it."

amck:

Either the sales reps said "quartz" and you heard "quartzite" or these sales reps don't know what they're talking about.

Quartz countertops means ground quartz crystals mixed with resin and formed into inert polished slabs. (Cambria, Zodiaq, Hanstone, etc.) Quartzite is a natural stone with similar etching issues as marble.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Let me clarify before some other eagle-eye Gardenwebber does it for me. Thanks to karin_mt:

" Actual quartzite doesn't etch. But quartzite that is really marble but is sold as quartzite does etch. Similarly, that same mislabeled quartzite will also be scratched easily if it is actually marble. The bottom line with quartzite - you have to test it to find out what it really is. Actual quartzite is wonderful if you can get it!"

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i too fell in love with cambria, until i found out the price was over $100 per sq ft! i liked the cambria patterns like canterbury because they weren't too tightly consistent like quartz normally is. because i loved the movement, i realized granite was really a better choice for me. are you looking for a constant pattern or movement? that will help you decide.
    i went with granite and i love the different bits, flecks and patterns in the natural stone. my fabricator said just wash with soap and water(which is what i always washed my formica with anyway) and no need to seal for at least 5 years.
    i took a pic of my fav piece of the granite because it has so much texture. it kind of reminds me of a melted marshmallow sundae:) lighting is bad so it looks better irl

• beaches1980
    9 years ago

@ Trebruchet - LOL, my "behavior" is just fine.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I want a white quartz!!

I have white quartz (Ceasarstone Organic White) and I love it - so clean and neat looking. Just use a cleaner (we've settled on Windex AllPurpose with Vinegar, and a microfiber cloth). Water and sponges do cause streaks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Trebruchet - LOL, my "behavior" is just fine."

I agree. It keeps repairpersons like me in business. Keep it up, please.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ardcp- what's the name of the granite stone you sent in your pic? I like it :) we bought black vintage cabinets and that could look nice too.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

That granite would be beautiful with your black cabs. Much better than Canturbury! It's got gold, but it's not too warm because it's got a lot of cream in it. Yet it's not as cool as Kashmir White. I would call that a happy medium between the two. You would want a plain bs with that granite.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Melkel31, I agree with mayflowers. That granite is really nice and I think it would show off your copper sink very well.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

melkel31- my fabricator called it crema antartida but when my kd saw it installed she said it looks like blue ice. i saw a brown ice in my search and loved it but didn't love the fabricator or the price($90 per sq ft)
    i loved alaska white, delicatus and bianco antico but they were over $100 sq ft in my region. this granite was $80 so if you can find it, it is mid range in price. it has lots of mica flecks but they are almost translucent so just a little sparkly in the right light, not too blingy.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

found a limestone bs tonight that looks like the travertine we have been looking at ( also found out that limestone is a type of trav - no wonder I liked it) it is stacked with NO grout lines in between - very light and neutral in color- would look nice with a CT like the one above or the Canterbury OR other granite- still working on that- that's a project for Saturday ;) from reading this thread sounds like the Cambria is the winner over granite but wondering if that's bc it's the newest thing?? decisions decisions... :)

btw what does DH mean when referring to husbands?? just curious haha! ;)

• crl_
    9 years ago

Usually dh=dear husband. But in certain situations it can be d@mn husband. ;)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Cambria has been making quartz since 1993.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh ok thanks mayflowers! :) btw I did find a place that has large Cambria slabs around 30 minutes from here. It's a natural stone yard.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

I am a fabricator.

IMHO the material properties of most "granites" and the various quartz surface brands are not different enough to worry about. Pick something that has the look you want because thats what you will live with every day.

There is a wide variety of stone that is called "granite". Most are very durable in every day use and at need resealing very infrequently or never. Staining on granite is a rare occurrence and can usually (but not always) be resolved with a poultice and solvent appropriate for the stain. Trebuchet comments that he has repaired heat damage to stone tops which surprised me. In several thousand granite jobs we have had only one instance of heat related damage and the circumstances were extreme.

The various brands of quartz surface, including Cambria, have identical material properties because they are all made on the same machines with the same process. EVERY quartz manufacturer specifically excludes heat related damage in their warranty. Some, like Cambria, even exclude cracks. I have personally seen about a dozen instances of heat damaged quartz tops. In almost every case it was due to action by a guest in the home, not the homeowner.

One watch-out, mentioned previously, is that the more exotic quartz colors that mimic the movement in natural stone can have hideous "resin pools" that are blobs of resin with little or none of the coloring agents. Natural stone fabricators have worked around "warts" like this for years but for some reason the end user is expected to accept such warts in quartz. As an end user you should make sure to review your slabs prior to fabrication if you are selecting a quartz with a lot of movement.

So, pick the look you want, exercise reasonable care, and enjoy your tops for a long long time.

Note: The preceding does NOT apply to natural stones like limestone, travertine, and marble which are used due to their extraordinary beauty despite their less than ideal material properties.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

If you pay $250.00, you can join the "Darkroom" at the Stone Fabricators Alliance and read story after story, written by fabricators, of heat lamps in restaurants and dishwashers, etc., cracking granite countertops.

Unlike some stoners perpetuating myth, I don't make this stuff up. I provide sources to substantiate what I say.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Thu, May 8, 14 at 12:10

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    9 years ago

I picked Cambria because we liked the look of it. Bristol Blue. We didn't like the movement in granite, although many love it. Hot pots were never a factor, because I would never put a hot pot directly on any countertop anyway.

I also picked Cambria because it's made in the USA. I have no idea where most granites are quarried, what kind of safety conditions their workers have, including minimum age. These are important things to know: do I want something that looks pretty, at the possible cost of someone's health and welfare?

I inspected my slabs before fabrication and would urge everyone to do the same.

Five years later: I still love Cambria.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

"story after story, written by fabricators, of heat lamps in restaurants and dishwashers, etc., cracking granite countertops. " is (ahem) somewhat exaggerated.

I am a fabricator - and a current member of the SFA (stone fabricator alliance). I review that "Darkroom" fabricator only forum every work day and heat related issues are rare. Just to check I did several searches of forum threads using the words "heat damage", and "heat cracks". I found 2 postings in the past 2 years regarding heat damage to granite. Most were about heat damage to quartz.

Heat damage in restaurant food bars, which occurs to both granite and quartz countertops, is due to design and/or fabrication deficiencies.

My own experience has been one heat related failure in granite in 14 years and several thousand jobs. It helps that my partner and I are both engineers and we understand thermally induced stress in materials and how to design to minimize it.

It takes a LOT of heat to damage the surface of natural stone or induce enough thermal stress to crack the material if the parts are designed and installed properly.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

oldryder:

We agree more than we disagree. Natural stone is more heat resistant than many other alternatives, but when trivet use is recommended by your trade association, it makes all countertops equal in that department.

You can put a hot cookie sheet on Corian with no trouble even if you baked all day. The problem is, you can't tell people specifics. You have to make a blanket rule that everyone can understand. No hot stuff on tops.

The way stoners fight to perpetuate this myth amazes me. Stone has all kinds of attributes to sell yet the stoners engage in puffery and ostracize those bringing the truth to consumers.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lots of good input here! thanks everyone! I actually like the movement of granite and the look of the quartz- as many said the 2 stones are similar as far as upkeep etc.. so it is going to come down to personal taste and I am just being very indecisive. haha ;)

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

From a design perspective, granite is on the way out. NKBA surveys show this. Go with the quartz or you will prematurely date your home.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

whether granite is "in or out" is very regional. here in upny it is THE counter material to have. most people view quartz as a solid surface type material. lots of people still love corian too and that is supposedly "out". blanket statements about trends don't work across all regions ever and it is actually offensive to all the granite lovers on this board.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

No offense intended. In Southern California, where most design trends tend to originate from, granite is headed out. And actually Corian is making a comeback as well it seems.

I stand by my opinion, upstate NY may be a lagging indicator. It's just one opinion after all. I used to be a granite lover too.

Best answer is go with what you like the best, of course.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the designers from my looking around are definitely pushing toward the quartz- funny you mentioned that- my concern there (no offense to designers!! :) ) is that designers are definitely led in the direction of trends IMHO. DH and I are definitely not "trendy" and want a beautiful kitchen but don't want anything in it to be trendy bc we intend to have it for years to come with no changes if possible! haha!!! :) thanks as always for your opinions- I do take all of them into account ! :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Trend or not, it is undeniable that granite has lost some cache. Before the advent of modern mining, polishing, and machining methods, granite was nearly prohibitively expensive, so having it meant you were wealthy. When your product serves as a truck stop countertop, it has been commodified.

• beaches1980
    9 years ago

Remember when everyone covered their hardwood floors with shag carpet?

It seems "natural" products stand the test of time.

Trends come and go. Get what you want. : )

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

What Treb said - the fact that you can get prefab granite at any of dozens of places (speaking about the Bay Area only) has made it so common that people who want "high end" or "the newest thing" are tending toward something else. That doesn't make granite bad, or even "on the way out", just what you find in a more typical house, whereas 20 or 25 years ago, hardly anyone had it.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I agree that granite has become really common. But if a consumer cares about that, I'm not sure the logical leap is to engineered quartz. Much of the engineered quartz mimics granite and I doubt I could tell the difference--certainly not without close inspection. The OPer here was considering the Canterbury color, if I recall correctly, and to me that's a color that looks pretty much like granite.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

I agree with the last comment. I like the quartz and solid surfaces that look like Terrazzo or come in solid shades or other unique patterns. If you are drawn to the ones that just mimic granite you may be missing the point... if you prefer that look, go with the real thing.

However, there are real practical considerations with radon, sealing, porosity, etc that doesn't come with the engineered surfaces so these days some people love the look but not the qualities of the material.

• bluestarrgallery
    9 years ago

Melanie thanks so much for posting; I'm so glad I read this thread

Originally I wanted granite but stopped by my local installer who carries both quartz and granite and now I'm thinking of quartz by cambria.

My reasoning for choosing quartz over granite is lack of radon, 97 percent quartz and 3 percent resin so less porous than most granite, easier maintenance, lack of absorption and growth of bacteria in counters compared to granite (info given by fabricator/installer).

My kitchen is just now installed so I also need to make a quick decision or keep my plywood counters for a while. Ha.

installer said cambira is made in Minnesota and usually customer only gets to see the 1 foot square sample. Since we are thinking about one with movement called Buckingham (photo) I am now going to insist on seeing the slabs before fabrication.

thanks so much to all for the info posted here.

• tmy_jax
    9 years ago

Sidenote to Springvillegardens:
    Search the website for a2gemini and fouramblues kitchens. Both have beautiful Cambria Buckingham counters and/or islands. Lots of pics available in various threads.

HTH, tmy

• Vertise
    9 years ago

That is an engineered organic pattern that will become dated looking, or out of favor, quickly, imo, with the manmade attempts at creating a stone like granite. Do be sure to see a whole slab to make sure the overall effect appeals to you.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"That is an engineered organic pattern that will become dated looking, or out of favor, quickly, imo, with the manmade attempts at creating a stone like granite."

How can something that has the exact movement of natural stone become "dated looking" without stone itself becoming so?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Because it's not the real thing and it is obvious when you look at it, like "pleather" and leather, polyester and silk or linen, polypropelene and wool....

• sahmmy_gw
    9 years ago

Springvillagegardens: "reasoning for choosing quartz over granite is...growth of bacteria in counters compared to granite (info given by fabricator/installer)."

This is hooey, And it's the solid surface industry that started it. I'll link a study that compares a number of different counter materials and the growth of e. Coli on them. If you want to choose an engineered material for your counter, that's fine, but don't provide reasons that are marketing hogwash.

Study on the reduction of E. Coli on various countertop surfaces

As to radon in granite, just stay away from granites with red or burgundy coloration and you will be fine. The proportion of radon from soil around your house and from well water is the real source of radon.

• bluestarrgallery
    9 years ago

thanks for the info on e coli and radon, sahmmey, but like I said just quoting what the installer / fabricator said to me, hogwash or no. There may be other possible bacteria that may grow or lurk on surfaces other than e coli. then again they say those who have a not so clean home don't get ill as often as those who have a squeaky clean one and I tend to the latter. ha. I do live in Georgia now, have city water and live on a hillside with red (clay) dirt, who knows I may be getting a ton of radon emanating from the earth at this very moment but I think every little bit also can contribute, just like passive smoke can give folks lung cancer, sometimes it depends upon who might be susceptible to the culprit. one person gets cancer and another doesn't, it's all about making choices and reducing risk and 2.5 percent although small is still a percent if it's ends up affecting the person.

snookums2, trebruchet and nosoccermom - I do think the engineered product may be distinguished from the natural product, with any home remodel we've done we have always tried to consider re-sale, not that we are thinking of selling now but we have a three story home and are in our mid 60s so the stairs may well make us have to sell sooner than later unfortunately; thus our consideration of the engineered produce as granite may be on the way out as far as the trends or so I've read on some threads here, but what do I know. I just want it to look good and be the best choice I can make at the time in'mho

tmy jax, thanks so much I'll do a search for the Buckingham kitchen info you provided, will meet the installer this week so we shall see what we decide.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I prefer granite over engineered quartz, but to me, it's solely personal preference over how granite looks and feels--the other stuff mentioned in this thread - well, everybody can debate back and forth on these questions and no one can come to a factual conclusion. So it boils down to a personal gut reaction to the aesthetics of each type of counter. You see it, you love it, and you are happy with it.

P.S. I read somewhere that the most bacteria-laden item in the house is not in the kitchen, and not in the bathroom, but in your living room. It's the TV remote. It's rarely cleaned...if ever. And, let's face it, not everyone who uses the remote has washed their hands (I know--eww--but it puts the granite paranoia about bacteria in perspective).

As to radon, I bought a couple of radon testers on Amazon. One went in the basement, the other sat directly on my kitchen granite counter for 4 months (the time needed for the test to be accurate). I do not have radon emanating from my granite or from my basement. My granite is mostly taupes and grays, if that makes a difference. I love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Radon Tester on Amazon

• bluestarrgallery
    9 years ago

Mrs_Nyefnyef you are so right about the yeahs and nays on the choices,

I guess I better clean the remote, ha.

I do like the look of natural stone so I'll see if I can see an actual slab of quartz and if it's too manmade looking then phooey with quartz

I did learn a lot on this thread and for that I am grateful

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I don't care for the new swirly quartz patterns--I'd use granite instead. I also don't like the original quartz patterns that are speckled chunks of quartz--they are already dated imo. Some of the new imitation marbles look really nice. We used quartz for our kitchen because we wanted a warm, light-colored tone and a quiet pattern in a more modern look, which was hard to find in granite. I guess our pattern mimics limestone or some other sedimentary rock--tiny specks of quartz with white spidery lines. I love the clean look of quartz and it's been easy to take care of. I will also add that it looks natural and not plasticy as I've heard some say who don't own quartz!

We used granite for a guest bath remodel a year later. The crystal structure and mineral variations of the stone are very pretty. But I would not want it in my kitchen as I don't want that predominate a pattern on that many square feet of counter. Same with the busy quartz patterns. Now quartzite is something I'd consider for kitchen or bath since it has that depth I like in granite but in a much quieter pattern.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I had seen online some pictures of the Cambria and I was going to order samples so I am doing a search to see if I would just prefer the granite or the Caesarstone or if I should order the samples to get an idea of what tones and colors what will work with my tile and white kitchen doors. Thank you for this post!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I have seen quartz too at fast food restaurants and in the bathrooms at the rest stops along the highway. There are only so many durable surfaces to put in kitchens, bathrooms, car dealership showrooms, et al. I wouldn't let trend make up my mind. I understand that when granite or any other trend shows up in RV's and mobile homes one would tend to think "it's over". But the thing is, imitation is the best form of flattery and all of the materials are going to show up all over the place sooner or later.

Composition is more important than one single choice. If the whole composition is unique and beautiful, textural, richly dimensional then the whole package is magnificent, it's not going to make any difference what one surface is made of. It's the total picture that's important. Sometimes when I look at a gorgeous kitchen I don't even notice each individual thing, it's only after that initial impact of the total picture that I start to take apart each individual surface choice. That's when I can tell that everything is working together in perfect harmony to create a beautiful room.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have seen quartz too at fast food restaurants and in the bathrooms at the rest stops along the highway.

I sincerely doubt that's quartz - much more likely Corian or another solid surface.