Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New cabinets with old woodwork

Posted by Dorothy.IL (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 17:56

All the woodwork (windows, trim, baseboards, crown molding, etc) in our midwest vintage 1988 traditional home is stained the typical maple-y, toffee-ish, pecan-ish color that was the trend 25 years ago around here. Current cabinets are (you guessed it) golden oak builder grade. Floors are cream sheet vinyl. We're ready to replace floors, cabinets, countertops, appliances, but have to live with the woodwork as it is. I'm planning on oak floors and we like stained cabinets. I know it's a lot of wood, but to us it feels homey and warm. I'm looking for suggestions as to cabinet wood/color. I love natural cherry but am worried the pink tone clashes with the woodwork. Suggestions? Would love pictures if anyone else has this kind of woodwork and has done some upgrades.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New cabinets with old woodwork

I have a midwest 1988 slightly contemporary ranch home that has oak trim and oak six panel doors that I guess could be classiifed any one of those stain colors you mentioned. I have just always called it golden oak. My previous kitchen cabinets were laminate boxes with golden oak doors. My hardwood floor is natural finish ash. My floors do have a border of natural cherry under the dining table.
I choose natural cherry cabinetry for my new kitchen and couldn't be happier with how my floors, cabinets and old woodwork looks together.
my cabinets have darkened and taken on a warm reddish tone. I would not classify them as pinkish.
The first picture below is the best shot of the woodwork that I could find at the moment but I am posting it so you can compare it to yours. The second picture is a good representation of the cabinet color after one year. If you want to see more pictures you can click on my photo bucket link below

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket pics

o
RE: New cabinets with old woodwork

Badgergal, your kitchen is GORGEOUS! My woodwork is probably a little darker than yours, but close enough. We have been working with a KD with a custom shop and the natural cherry she showed us was definitely pink-ish and looked terrible with the yellowish tones of the woodwork. It was 3-4 years old. Maybe the lighting? I'm also glad to see you went with a dark countertop - that's what we're leaning toward, too. I'll have to look into an ash floor. All I've heard about was maple or oak. I like that yours has some color variation without being as busy as oak. Thanks for taking the time to post!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here