Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momofmne

Is a glass tile backsplash *always* considered contemporary?

momofmne
15 years ago

I am now in the midst of the great backsplash decision. Our house is more traditional and we are putting in a stone looking hood. Our kitchen granite has a busy pattern, so I know the backsplash can not be another busy random pattern. I am now looking at glass tile for the backsplash. Would it look so out of place to do that? I really don't want to use stone because of sealing etc. One window of our kitchen is curved so the tile has to fit that curve. I saw some 3 x 6 subway glass tile that is mirrored and dark gray and would match my cabinets and granite and thought maybe I would have it installed vertically so it would fit that space? The other glass tile I saw that I really like was in a kitchen here-so sorry I can not remember whose it was!-but it was from Artistic Tile and they also have a color that would match well in a pattern that would fit . Any advice or thoughts?

Comments (15)

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

mirrored, yes, I think so.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Was it my kitchen?

• momofmne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cat_mom-Yes it is your beautiful backsplash that I had seen before and love! What color is yours?

• edlakin
    15 years ago

i think it's possible for glass backsplash tiles to work in a non-contemporary/modern kitchen, but they're few and far between.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I've seen glass subway tiles look classic. There's a small bath with ocean-colored tiles shown in Jan-Feb. kitchen and bath ideas magazine; I tried finding it on the current website for you but couldn't. This one had a crisp white vanity with well defined Shaker type styling, and the overall style was what I would call modern cottage, so the glass subway tiles fit right in. HTH.

• cate1337
    15 years ago

My feeling is that it's often but not always contemporary. Lunada Bay Tile has some good examples, particularly at the bottom of the "Renga Concept Boards" link (right side of page) and if you click on "Concepts" (top of main page), then "Stone, Pewter, and Glass Concepts."

Unfortunately, I can only directly link in their homepage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lunada Bay Tile

• california_dreamer
    15 years ago

This is an interesting question. I debated for weeks about putting glass tiles on my backsplash. My GC and designer thought they'd look great, my dh and trusted friends thought it would look too contemporary. In the end we went with plain subway tiles.
    But I do kind of wish I'd chosen the glass tiles instead. I like the idea of mixing some contemporary elements with some more traditional ones.
    I've been watching a lot of Divine Design and Candice uses glass tiles a lot on backsplashes, fireplaces, etc. It doesn't always scream "contemporary" to me.
    If you like the look- go for it!

• User
    15 years ago

I went on the Twin Cities Bungalow Club house tour last weekend and one of the homes, built around 1920, had a glass tile backsplash. To keep it more subdued, through, they only ran it up a few courses on the wall. They had a busier countertop, too. It looked great!

• margieb2
    15 years ago

I was going with honed crema marfil subway tiles until the last minute when, with the urging of an interior designer, we switched to mosaic glass tiles. I too thought they might be too contemporary but it turned out to be one of my favorite features:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• drarc
    15 years ago

margieb2 I really like your tile. Can you share the name and blend?

• margieb2
    15 years ago

Thanks drarc. The brand is Vetro Lux Mosaico and the color is Mix Chiaro. They're even more beautiful in person!

-Margie

• linda8818
    15 years ago

Margie I love your tile but am unable to locate a supplier of this. How did you order it?

• klutterkara
    15 years ago

Linda, I found one place for the tile....hope this link works

Here is a link that might be useful: glass tile

• linda8818
    15 years ago

Kara thank you for that link; I couldn't find one anywhere.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!