Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elptacek

Chalkboard paint in your kitchen? Love it? Hate it?

byzantine
9 years ago

Hello GWers!

Very little paintable wall is going to be exposed in my galley-style kitchen. Most of the walls will be covered in 2x8 white subway tile. I am contemplating painting the surfaces that will not be tiled with chalkboard paint. Before I do this, I want to know if it becomes a misery so many /n/ months after being freshly painted on. Thank you!

Comments (21)

• chicgeek
    9 years ago

We had the same thought of having a chalkboard wall but decided that after all the dust/dirt from remodeling, the last thing we wanted was chalk dust to clean up (lost it's charm!) Instead, we opted for a dry erase board that also allows us to use magnets to hold messages, etc. I put it up with Command Strips so there would be no regrets if we didn't like it. It's been up for over a year and serves it purpose beautifully.

• byzantine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. It looks so cute in the pictures on houzz, but the #1 design constraint for our kitchen is "EASY TO CLEAN" (in caps for a reason). And boy am I ever up to my neck in dust, today. Waugh.

• justmakeit
    9 years ago

I agree that it looks cute and fun! I grew up in a house with two huge slate chalkboards that my dad rescued from the university when they were tearing down a building. Those chalkboards were the nerve center of our household.

I recently had the inside of my pantry door painted in chalkboard paint, mainly to cover up the inexplicable blotchy stain that was there ever since we moved here 16 years ago. I've only used it a few times, and I am amazed at the amount of chalkdust it produces! Not what I remembered from my childhood home at all. The surface is very rough, and it just grinds up the chalk like crazy. I was wondering if I sanded it down, maybe it would produce less dust.

If you'd like to come try it out, let me know!

• meganmca
    9 years ago

I've got it on my kids' beds. 10+ years later...some chalk marks don't erase as well as others & of course, there's no fine art involved here.

Houzz pics tend to look good because someone with calligraphic skills writes on the chalkboard. For me, this is not one of my skills. And...I can't tell where exactly you're going to put it--but if it's a wall anyone's likely to lean on/bump into, the chalk will happily transfer to your coat/shirt/whatever--possibly not what you want the random person chatting with you in your kitchen to encounter.

If it's going to be kids drawing on it, remember that they aren't necessarily...um...neatly artistic. My kids never did "cute" art. And then they grow up & become teens :).

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I thought I wanted a blackboard in my kitchen. So cute!!! Then I thought about the chalk dust and ugh. I used to have a whiteboard and hated the look. Get a picture frame in a size and color you like and put colored paper behind the glass to coordinate with your kitchen. Use bold dry erase pens and voila! You have to experiment with paper colors and even a muted pattern will work. Cheap and easy.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

My DM had a small chalkboard in her "command center"
    She loved it and since it was mostly messages- the dust factor was minimal.
    When she redid her kitchen, she painted the frame orange to go with her poppy wall paper(1970s)

• byzantine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Only one person in this house is not capable of calligraphy -- my son, who has a mild motor skills "disability" that results in handwriting that would make any doctor proud.

But it's the dust and the cleaning that was on my mind, and I think that's been made real for me. Plus the added bonus of soiling my guests' finer outfits (my friends are derby girls and computer nerds, so they mostly wear black) clinches it.

I love your idea, linelle. Plus we could change the color whenever we wanted. Sold!

• peony4
    9 years ago

I incorporated a chalkboard wall in my kitchen. I like the fact that it coordinates with my soapstone.

The dust is minimal. I don't notice it any more than I notice other things that need to be cleaned in my kitchen.

I write seasonal inspiration on mine, but had to hide the chalk because my kids, while not quite teens, started having cheeky fun, per Meganmca's reference above. I've walked into my kitchen and did a doubletake numerous times...

• fishymom
    9 years ago

I don't have a chalk paint wall, but I have lots of containers for chalk. I don't use regular classroom type chalk, I use chalk markers. There is no dust from the markers and they wipe clean easily. If it is the dust you are worried about, the markers will solve that problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chalk Markers

• Lil_Moe
    9 years ago

You could also create a whiteboard wall and use dry erase. Kids would get a kick out of being able to write on the walls and you wouldn't have the chalk dust!

Here is a link that might be useful: Whiteboard paint

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I think it's a really cute idea for family notes. I'm still planning on putting a chalkboard paint or dry erase board on an out-of- the-way door.

• byzantine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, all I can say is... whoa, chalkboard markers. I think my body temperature just went up.

• dretutz
    9 years ago

I put dry erase whiteboard paint on the wall next to the garage door that opens to kitchen. We make grocery lists, leave family notes, etc. It is great.

• TB151
    9 years ago

I built a blackboard frame for ours and we totally love it. Zero Regrets

• cevamal
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do anything with dry erase markers.

Yes, the markers wipe off hard surfaces but they STAIN fabric. Unless you don't have kids and it's in a location where no one could accidentally brush against it.

• byzantine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TB151: That is gorgeous. Do you have a wood shop?

• TB151
    9 years ago

Thanks Byzantine! I don't, but do have a few tools that help immensely. Namely, a mitre saw, compressor, brad nailer and kreg jig. Along with some sand paper, and pain brushes thats all you need!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

I have heard mixed reviews on whether the chalkboard paint actually works. Have you had success? What brand and how many coats? I use Chalkboard Markers and they work fabulously on chalk stickers...but really want my chalkboard wall to work out. Help me make it successful! This is what I am planning, but my contractor has had some clients tell him that chalkboard paint doesn't work, even after 6 coats:

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

I just did my dd door in chalkboard paint from Home Depot-Rustoleum I think. Three coats, let it dry/harden for three days and it works fabulous for her. It cost me about eight bucks I think. What's the worst that can happen you have to repaint? I have never heard of chalk markers though but I will be ordering them today. Dust is an issue if you use an eraser.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

There is a trick to making the paint work. If I'm remembering correctly, you have to turn the chalk sideways and go over the whole board (after it is well dry). Then erase it and it's good to go. You might want to google this to make sure I've got it right.

As a teacher, I know you can buy dustless chalk.Haven't tried the chalk markers, but I am intrigued. Also, there have been quite a few warnings lately about using dry erase markers with kids because of the chemical make up.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

I like using chalkboard markers on tags, pantry jars, etc. They come in different colors but admitttedly I like plain old white. http://www.chalkink.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Chalk Markers

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio