Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Light over Sink Decision-Back to This!

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

Well, I said I thought I should wait and see it "all in place". It mostly is in place now.

I'll post some photos below I took today. The light in the breakfast room is just holding a place for this light that is coming on May 26th. (can you tell I'm following the tracking on Fed Ex?)

Here is the kitchen:

(we have elecricity!!!!)

and for the heck of it...my ovens and fridge are in!

Remember the light I thought I might use in the breakfast room, and if I didn't it was going in the dinging room? Well, it's in the dining room. I think it is gorgeous. I can't get over it. Here you go. Let's assume this is setting the "mood" for helping with my decsion, ok?

So, I absolutely love all the suggestions I got before for the Juliska globe, but it is too expensive. And I am not sure if the clear glass is really a good idea for me. I fear the naked bulb might be just too much glare. The chandy over the island may end up with shades. We will see.

So, after much searching, I have 2 candidates. Totally different. One is a replica of a Shonbek small pendant available at Overstock for a song. It only has a candelabra light though. It is 8" wide, 13" high. I think it gives a nice nod to the chandy without saying "look at me".

This one is from Elk. It is 13" wide, 8" high. I like that it has a sheer shade over another shade (nodding at the one in the breakfast room) and it has crystals above the diffuser. It takes 2 60 watt bulbs, so plenty of light.

Opinions?

Comments (27)

• carybk
    11 years ago

I love the second one. Nods to the others but a different feel.

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

I love the second one for that space.
    I feel that the first one is too blingy and will compete too much with your gorgeous chandy.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I actually like the first one. With all the crystal you have in that space, I think you need to continue the sparkle over the sink, too! :)

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Number 2 for sure! I think the first one will be overkill and probably not bright enough.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Bee Really when can I come to see this kitchen?! The fridge is outstanding and I'm trying to talk my DH into this. He does not think I'm tidy enough for a display fridge ;(.
    Great light choices all except for the first one for over the sink. I like the bling just not that bling, The drum shade seems more elegant --I would want that extra wattage for light.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Also, I think the shape of the first light will look better with your trim around the upper cabinets, on either side of the sink. The angle on either side would really be set off by the round pendant. Just my two cents :)

• taggie
    11 years ago

I like #2. I still has the wow factor with the crystals underneath which will probably winkle in the sunlight of the window, but it doesn't try to compete with your island chandy.

Love the kitchen so far btw!!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Love both, but #1 is my pick. It seems to fit the space and will not obstruct any part of the window, wall etc. The shape is better for space.

I recall you discussed the window size in previous posts and with #2 will it "overpower" the window? If the window is 36" wide, greater than 1/3 of the window width will be the light.

Is the shade fabric? If so, I would reconsider it in the kitchen. Your beautiful range hood will do an excellent job, but there may be some residue that gets on the shade.

You have phenomenal style and love all your choices.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Cant get a picture here but try looking at this from amazon
    Eurofase 12260-010 Vidal $81.00-- a bit trendier to go with the breakfast light but still blingy for the chandy

• PRO
    Tom Carter
    11 years ago

we have a light similar to the shonbek, original to the house (1922) as far as I can tell but with a metal top, not glass. It is a lovely light but needs a lot of cleaning to keep looking good. Caspian

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

I love #1 with your kitchen!!..
    OH, and the DR light... WOW!! LOVE IT!!!!!!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is looking beautiful! So fun! I am totally in love with the 1st one It's the perfect little sister to your island chande and will add that certain je ne sais quoi. An extra measure of magic to your already beautiful space.

• kimiko232
    11 years ago

I like both. But, like the 2nd one better. It has an interesting shape, modern eclectic like your other house. And, it has that little bling without taking away from the centerpiece.

Thought this might help. I got an email from newyorklighting.com. It was for 20% off of elk. I know you'e got someone you normally use. Maybe they can honor this coupon too.

Take 20% Off ELK Lighting this Memorial Day weekend with coupon code ELK20.

Enjoy great savings on ELK's most popular lighting categories including outdoor, bathroom and pendant fixtures.

ELK is also one of LightingNewYork.com's Risk-Free brands, so your entire order will also have No Sales Tax1, Free Shipping2, and Free Returns3. Shopping ELK Lighting for all of your lighting projects has never been easier!

• User
    11 years ago

In a vacuum, I prefer #2, but don't think it will look right over the sink. How far from the wall is the box? Enough room for half the diameter of #2 plus a couple of inches?

I don't think #1 is as pretty as either of your other chandies. Something about the shape...

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

My vote is #2!!! My opinion is #1 is beautiful but you have enough "bling" with the others. That frig....ohhhhh my! Need more pics!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I vote for #1. I think #2 might distract from the light that is on it's way (home, haha!) but would still compliment all the other lighting.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

boo hoo hoo

I really don't know what to do. Although the LightingNewYork offer with FREE return shipping makes checking that out worthwhile. I did see that email too, but didn't read about the free return.

My dh asked today that I stop spending money for a little bit. But it's on sale...

I'll work on him.

I'm not sure which way to go either, I must admit. The smaller one's biggest concern for me is that it will not throw enough light. 1 chandelier bulb is not much.

good point about how far out is the junction box. I think it's out far enough, but I will double check.

I'll keep you posted. Now to check to see where the breakfast room light is. I think it is coming via horseback. I'm not sure how Fed Ex can manage to move so slowly. It can't be easy for them.

Bee

• amykath
    11 years ago

Hey Bee! Your kitchen is looking fabulous!!! I am loving it and sooooo jealous!

Here are some very quick and probably not to scale photo edits for you.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aktillery, nice! The 2nd one is probably close in scale. It is 13" wide, and the window is probably 24" . The 1st one is a little big, (only 8" wide) but it gives a good idea.

Thanks so much!

Bee

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I wonder which one will throw the best light on your dishes/crystal in the cabinets? Or do you have some kind of strip lights in the cabinets?

• beachpea3
    11 years ago

Now that Actillery has made it easier...I vote for #1- especially with the glass fronts on the cabinets...and it coordinates with the rest of the crystal sparkles...Looking forward to more pictures!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

No design advice here, I'm designer illiterate. :)

BUT, will you PLEASE move that tote bag so I can see that gorgeous fridge?

• tea4all
    11 years ago

I like both but personally would need #2 for the added light. You plan such beautiful kitchens Bee!!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Heavens to Betsy. Where is my post from earlier? Wonder where it went? PRobably posted on the wrong thread!

I went to the house. I think the 1st one will fit the space really well. But the light issue.

So I went back to Overstock. Sonofagun. Almost identical light available with a regular light, up to 100 watts. So, that's good, right?

Now, I'm waiting for an O coupon. Should be one this weekend. Tick tock...

Maybe I'll take some other pics susie. The cardboard is sort of a killer too, isn't it? I think it's time to play with the kitchen a little! Any idea how badly I want to put a big glass vase on the counter with flowers in it? How hysterical is that? There are no plumbing fixtures in there, no vent hooked up, cabinets are not all done, but I want to decorate so badly! (I actually have my eye on one of those footed apothecary jars with the footed base you see at Home Goods--remove the lid, fabulous vase!)

Trying to control myself.

Bee

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Bee- Same type of light as #1, with more wattage...sounds perfect! :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I prefer the crystal...my own prejudices....I'm not a fan of these drum light fixtures though I know they are popular now. And I love crystal!

• sserra85
    11 years ago

I won't comment on the design, as I think both will work. Originally I was going to vote for #1, but seeing the aktillery's pictures I like the size of the second one better in relation to the window size.