Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raenjapan

Ikea OTK, $7500 budget, almost done + a question

raenjapan
10 years ago

Ikea OTK, $7500 budget, almost done + a question

Hi garden web people! I haven’t spent much time here lately, although I did run this plan by you guys before we started. My husband and I bought this house as a foreclosure, and it had been vacant for 4 years. It was extremely heavily vandalized, definitely not livable. We loved it immediately. The kitchen has been mostly done for several months, but there were a few details that I wanted to get finished before I posted.

This is not our first renovation, we have done several budget kitchen renos before, so we are experienced DIYers. I like to post these because there are lots of very high budget kitchens here, and I think it’s nice to see what can be done with less money. So, here is the cost breakdown:

3900 cabs (adel off white), counters (oak), range hood (all IKEA, 20% off sale)
70 waterlox
400 stove (Craigslist)
100 sink
120 faucet
270 lighting
1200 fridge (scratch and dent, just barely, from Lowes)
450 dishwasher
70 micro
50 hardware (wish I’d gone more expensive on this)
240 floors (laminate)
80 window (returned special order at Lowes that we made fit)
300 backsplash
200 misc

**because the entire house had to be re-drywalled, I didn’t include that cost, not sure how to separate that out. It’s the only part of the reno that we did not do ourselves.

From House on Chick Road
>

From House on Chick Road

From House on Chick Road
>

From House on Chick Road

From House on Chick Road

{{gwi:1864633}}From House on Chick Road

From House on Chick Road

From House on Chick Road

From House on Chick Road

Comments (50)

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK! Finally got the photo thing correct, I think. Hopefully you guys can see them.

Here is the question:

This is where the pantry is now (found the doors on the side of the road!) Nothing has been painted yet, and the glass will either be frosted or have fabric behind it to hide the mess.

{{gwi:1864641}}From House on Chick Road

I'm thinking about doing a paint scheme like this (photo from designsponge) only not black, probably turquoise.

From House on Chick Road

What do you think? Too much?

• rosie
    10 years ago

I love projects like this, Raenjapan, so hopped to the link, only to see "page was not found." Sorry.

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So you aren't seeing any pics? They're showing up for me. I swear this site drives me crazy trying to post pics.

• jmaurry
    10 years ago

I just wanted to tell you what an amazing job you've done for such a small budget! Beautiful! I think your painting idea would look cool, not sure about turquoise. But I like the look of the photo you posted.

• Megan Meyers
    10 years ago

Well done! It came out great.
    I have to admit I was looking more at your paddock fencing than kitchen hardware ;)

• rmiriam
    10 years ago

Cool doors! And beautiful kitchen. I always love seeing the budget ones, because that's what I do. I'm not crazy about the two-tone door plan. I would paint them turquoise, but do the whole door, and make sure it contrasts with the wall.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I'm seeing the pictures now. Wonderful! It all looks terrific, and I know it works great too because I have Ikea.

And your pantry! You know, I love the way shelves crowded with food add to the ambience of a kitchen, such as a pantry behind glass doors. To me, where the layout allows it's a great decorative feature. It doesn't sound as if you do, but yours are perfectly located for it. Fill 'em up? Please post pix showing what you did with this area. Whatever, it's perfect for having a little fun.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

What rmiriam said!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Leaf your glass!!

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

Really nice. I would leave it uncover too.

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This angle got left out of the post, and I like it, so here:

From House on Chick Road

:)

I think you're right about the two tone thing on the pantry. Too weird, I think. What I'm thinking now is to paint the wood white to match the cabinets, and the doors and hardware black, and use a colorful (maybe a print or linen?) fabric behind the glass. (I think some people can pull off the cute stuffed pantry look, rosie, but I don't think I can. Too much random stuff in plastic bags. Being neat is a struggle for me, I don't want to worry about how the insides of cabinets look.)

• kiko_gw
    10 years ago

Wow! What a great job. I love seeing budget kitchens and yours is fantastic. Anyone can make a space fabulous with gobs of money (and too many make a space terrible with gobs of money!) but it takes talent to do beautiful on a budget! You should silver leaf your pantry door glass; it would look great in your kitchen.

http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2011/03/mirrored-silver-leafed-cabinets.html

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I love the vintage fabric or wallpaper idea. Ive considered that myself for glass cabinets because I get tired of colors and patterns.

I followed the link to the silver leaf, and it broke my heart to see anything happen to that cabinet.

• 8mpg
    10 years ago

I think you did AWESOME. I love the fact the budget included some appliances. Many people here think you need $30k to redo a kitchen and you have proved them wrong.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Raenjapan, What an amazing new kitchen you did for such a great price! Your floors look so pretty and I would have never guessed them to be laminate floors. The appliances look amazing and I love the overall look! I also love the lazy Susan. I wish I had someone to help me do my kitchen as I know Labor on top of the material may double the price but that would still be a great price for your beautiful new kitchen. Thank you for sharing.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

Chick Road is looking darn chic.

That first shot? Looks amazingly high end. $7500. You are my hero.

I also enjoy seeing IKEA kitchens, too. Thanks so much for sharing - and for the eye candy.

• whit461
    10 years ago

Great job.

I noticed the counter brackets. Very similar to ours, but we had our fabricated locally since we couldn't get the size we wanted. What size are yours and where do you get them?

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words! This is the first kitchen I've gotten to design and live in completely, and I'm really happy with how it works. The wood counters are lovely to use.

Whit 461, re: the brackets, I found them on clearance for something like $1.45 each at Lowes, in the decking section. They're PVC. I had been indecisive about what to do there, (the counter was propped up with 2x4s to that point) so I was pretty excited.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Nice kitchen!!!

• chiefy
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! And what an inspiration.

• chinchette
    10 years ago

Nice results!
    On the Island, what is the trim piece that looks custom? Did you find a paint match for the Adel white sides?

• ZLauren
    10 years ago

Not the OP, but we've matched Benjamin Moore Paper Mache with the ADEL white cabinet doors for our kitchen reno. But I am still wondering if there's a better match out there!

• rosylady
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous. It reminds me of some of the ones done by Sarah Richardson. She uses IKEA cabs frequently.

Good job!

• acheavacci
    10 years ago

Congrats!! Looks fantastic. How long did the reno take? Where did you purchase the pendants?

OT - Love your dogs :)

• sena01
    10 years ago

Great kitchen!

Turquoise (your table's color appears as turquoise in my browser) would be real nice.

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's hard to say how long the reno really took, because we were doing the whole house, interior and exterior, plus adding a garage+mudroom and creating pastures for the horses all at the same time. We've owned the house for 10 months at this point. The kitchen was functional but not finished about 3 months after we bought the house.

I'll say that if we were doing only the kitchen, with wiring and drywall in place, we could probably install everything in 2-3 weeks if we were only working on the kitchen. The Ikea cabs were extremely easy to assemble and install. Definitely easier than per-asembled cabinets we've put in other houses.

The paint on all our trim is Valspar's Betsy's Linen. I think it's pretty good match for the Adel off white.

Pendants are off the rack at Lowes, $50 each, I believe. Those are one element that I could see the value of going more expensive on. The finish could be a bit smoother. I'm sure most people would never notice, but someday I'll probably replace them with something else.

kiko, I like the silver leaf, but this kitchen actually turned out a bit more glitzy than I really was going for (accumulation of small choices, lol) and I'm wanting to tone that down a bit. It's fun look, though. :)

• Linda
    10 years ago

That is amazing! Love it -- and no one would believe it only cost that much, and including appliances!

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I went through the pics of your house and I love your bathroom!

It is really nice to see a budget reno. I have had a hard time looking at most of the kitchens because they are so crazy expensive. We're unwilling to spend that much. We will be building in a few years and will do all of the finishing.

Good luck on your other projects and I hope you share them with us!

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

IowaCommute, that vanity was an old dresser we found at a garage sale for $20! This is what it looked like when we bought it:

From House on Chick Road

After for those who didn't look at the album:

From House on Chick Road

This post was edited by IowaCommute on Wed, May 22, 13 at 19:59

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

wow, you did an amazing job! your resourcefulness amazes me too! i love your fireplace too.
    how about just painting your pantry doors turqiouse and leaving the wood wall as is, maybe just clearcoated or made a little more rustic? that will look so unique and cool! looking forward to your finished kitchen!

This post was edited by IowaCommute on Wed, May 22, 13 at 19:57

• taggie
    10 years ago

Holy cow, this is incredible. Looks like you spent easily three times as much! The individual elements are wonderful in themselves (eg, I envy you your faucet find for $120 and I want to take you shopping with me :)) but all put together is what really makes this kitchen shine. You have a lovely sense of style. Congratulations on your wonderful space.

This post was edited by IowaCommute on Wed, May 22, 13 at 19:56

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

Duplicate post. Phone freaked out.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Can you tell me what the dimensions of your L are? And, if you didn't have the window above your sink (with the fridge where it is) do you think all your light (from patio doors) would be blocked by the fridge? I have a similar layout to yours (or *could* have a similar layout if I remodeled to an L, which I'd like to do), but I am trying to figure out if my "L" is long enough on the 2 legs and if the fridge would block all my light (I can't get a window over the sink like you have). TIA!

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

What a great reno! As others said, it's fun to see kitchens redone so well without breaking the bank.

What backsplash did you use?

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

That is jaw-droppingly astounding ... and some shrewd shopping.

Not just the price, but the way it all just "fits" with a bit of quirk to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solyx

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kirkhall, the L is 12'6" to the edge of the fridge, and 9' wide on the stove side (those are empty-room dimensions). I don't find that the fridge blocks the light, but this house does have very good light, with the three sliders, and the skylight above the sink. It's hard to say whether that would translate to another house. Overall, I'm finding this layout really functional, though.

Anne2326, the backsplash was something they had at lowes a while back. It was kind of my splurge for the kitchen, at $10 a SF. It's recycled glass, and a little blingier than I really intended. :-) Here is a closeup (please excuse the lack of counter behind the stove, it's one of the details we haven't gotten around to yet.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Amazing job!

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info on the backsplash!

• kaysd
    10 years ago

It is looking great. You might want to consider using Solyx film on the glass. They have lots of options for different colors and opacity levels of frosted or textured glass. We are using the film on our glass pantry doors as soon as I pick a pattern.

• tbo123
    10 years ago

lovely kitchen. Do you know the width of the stiles and rails on the cab doors. Is it 3" or 2 1/2"? Thanks..

• rosie
    10 years ago

Oh, I love some of the Solyx films and have been looking for something to use them on. I could definitely see one of them here.

But, Raenjapan...stocked pantry cute? If it's cute, it's not real. Like a cute display of cook's knives, I think someone really has to try. Maybe scalloped checked shelf paper and a little pile of Campbell's soup cans sitting on a cookbook to set of the collection of porcelain chickens that fills the rest?

I'm terminally disorganized myself, but the humid, buggy South forces me to put stuff in jars and other tight containers. I'll toss all the different dried peppers, specialty flours, or rices in one together (still in their own bags), put the lid on, and tada! Deception. :)

I really like what you're doing and looking forward to more pix. Will you have other projects once the kitchen is finished (for now at least)?

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm...I like the solyx films, thanks. I'll definitely consider those. I've painted the wall white, and the doors black. I'd take pics but I've been painting trim for other rooms and the house is a mess right now. Maybe later today.

Not sure about the stile width tbo123. I'll try to remember to measure for you later.

There are always other projects, Rosie! We did a mudroom addition to this house, and I'm trimming that out right now, then I'll get to do built-ins in there. (Honestly, I hate trim work, takes forever and is monotonous, but must be done). We have a bathroom that is just studs and rough-in plumbing right now. I'm looking forward to starting that. The loft needs a few finishing details. The laundry room hasn't really been touched, just tiled and then threw the W/D in there. It looks like crap right now, but at least it's functional. Lots of projects! I'd be happy to share if anyone is interested.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I'm sure they would be, Raenjapan. Visitors looking for ideas and inspiration that don't require large budgets vastly outnumber whose who post plans for pricey kitchens, even if many don't speak up. Plus, it's just plain fascinating to see the results of synergies that develop from creative minds and tight budgets. :)

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I'd love to see more! You've proven you are creative and have a good eye-everyone can benefit from that.

We will build a home in another year or two on the family farm. It will be a small 20s look bungalow. We will do almost all of the finishing work. I am a good budget shopper and DIYer, but it would be nice to see the rest of your wonderful house and how you chose your finishes for a higher end look.

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Awesome job! Can't believe you did that for that price. Be proud :)

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I had to come back to look at your kitchen since I remember being amazed at how beautiful it looked on a budget. Thank you again for sharing and letting us know the paint color you used to try to match the Ikea doors.

• shelayne
    10 years ago

Wow! That looks amazing! I agree about the two-toned pantry cabinet--paint the whole thing the same color. I am biased toward turquoise, so I am loving that idea. :) I can't believe you did all that for $7500--including appliances! That is incredible!

I also love your bathroom vanity. That looks gorgeous! Major kudos to you for such a fantastic reno!

• shelayne
    10 years ago

Whoops-- I just read that you painted them black. I bet that looks really striking!

Looking forward to the pics!

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the finished pantry. I like fabric behind the glass just because it's easy to change out if I get tired of it. Thanks again for all the lovely comments!

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the before pic from the same angle. Just because it amuses me. :)

• CAGiselle
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! You are either extremely talented or a magician. I'm going with extremely talented:)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area